Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Adventurer

Re: How in the hell dose Gopro advertise the Hero 8 as web camera and not include Audio

option to keep. you did.

Highlighted
Tourist

Re: How in the hell dose Gopro advertise the Hero 8 as web camera and not include Audio

The good support I completely disagree with being new to GoPro. Ive had mine a week and will be looking to send it back if I dont get support this week!

Highlighted
Nomad

I have 2 GoPro Hero 8 boxes, there are also copies of the GoPro advertisements and launch video's to be found online.  Nowhere does it say that the GoPro Hero 8 is a webcam.  It does not claim that the GoPro Hero 8 can be used as one. 

During the current Covid pandemic GoPro decided to launch a Beta firmware and driver for the camera so it COULD be used as a webcam.  Why did GoPro do this?  Simply because Webcams were sold out and with so many GoPro owners working from home, GoPro thought they could do something to try and HELP people.

Considering the camera was not designed to do this to begin with (nor advertised as doing such a thing) this has been a lot of hard work by the development team and they have even admitted on many occassions that it's an ongoing work in progress and they are seeing if it will be possible to use the audio from a GoPro as a webcam.

So please, show a little respect to the people at GoPro working hard trying to make a camera work in a way it was not designed to do nor originally advertised to do.  Please note, that if you have a laptop to plug your GoPro into... your laptop more than likely has a built in Microphone (and webcam) which can be easily used in the meantime.

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

Yeah, the original poster has his/her panties seriously tied in a twist or something. Get of your high horse! Of course he/she has a point as normaly a webcam that has an internal mic built in normaly would be able to use this hardware. But like said, it's a extra feature they have built and one i'm extreamly happy with i might add! It was never your right to begin with since it's a new and added function! Let's just hope they get it up and running as such soon beacause it would be very very very handy to use the GoPro hero 8 black with it's amazing hardware as a webcam with full functionality, so image and sound. When done there is no comparison in the webcam market in my opinion. GoPro would then need to fast make it a regular function (so no Beta anymore) and advertise the **bleep** out of it because it adds a whole new group of custumers i think. The fact that the camera isso good makes me able to present something to students over MS teams and i can simply film me and the screen behind me as if they were there with me in the classroom (instead of sharing screen functionality) without the screen being whited-out because of the backlight. The regular webcams i tried all coudn't handle this, the GoPro can, and that's simply because of the quality of the camera!

Highlighted
Adventurer

Well I stopped the FIrmware update  no need for what a action camera is for . sitting at a desk....