Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

How do you connect an external mic and keep the hero 5 session waterproof?

[ New ]

Hi this is my first GoPro so please excuse me if this is something seasoned vets know lol
I have the GoPro hero session 5 (man thats a mouthful) one of the reasons I choose this one is that it supposedly allows an external mic, however the only port I can find on it is a usb-c and to access that port you have to have the door open!
To my mind this means that if I am out on my motorcycle and it starts to rain then my very expensive camera is toast. 

1) Is it still rainproof with the door open? 

2) can anyone recommend a cheap usb-c microphone thats compatable with my camera?

I have ordered a bluetooth mic as a work around, but would prefer to use a wired one, less things that need to be charged the better lol

Thanks in advance, certainly open to hearing tips as well 

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: How do you connect an external mic and keep the hero 5 session waterproof?

[ New ]

Hi @thedavestream

Thank you for choosing GoPro to capture great moments! So long as all camera doors are closed, the HERO5 Session is waterproof down to 10m (33ft) without a housing. That being said it is not suggested to use the camera under the rain with the doors opened. Currently, our cameras do not have the internal components to support an audio input directly from a microphone via a USB-C jack.

I recommend using a Bluetooth mic if you'll ride under the rain. 

Though not officially from GoPro, you may check this video for an idea on how to set up the camera with a mic on a helmet.

Best regards,

Ej

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @thedavestream

Thank you for choosing GoPro to capture great moments! So long as all camera doors are closed, the HERO5 Session is waterproof down to 10m (33ft) without a housing. That being said it is not suggested to use the camera under the rain with the doors opened. Currently, our cameras do not have the internal components to support an audio input directly from a microphone via a USB-C jack.

I recommend using a Bluetooth mic if you'll ride under the rain. 

Though not officially from GoPro, you may check this video for an idea on how to set up the camera with a mic on a helmet.

Best regards,

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
@aragon1006 looked up that adapter, it's £50 that is massively overpriced for my needs and I live in the UK so keeping it rain proof is a must lol

Think bluetooth headset is gonna be the way I go, not ideal but cheaper on my pocket and weatherproof (surprised that such an essential issue is given so little thought from the go pro guys.... And £50 for that adapter.... My god...)
Hiker

[ New ]

No way to keep the session waterproof while using an external mic.  Also, You must use the $50 GoPro audio adapter if you want to use an external mic...bluetooth will not work with the Hero 5's.  The cost is a bit hard to swallow, but it works great.  The guys you see using bluetooth have the older models, which they pair up with the Sena backpacks.  Of course this will only work with the full size cameras...not the Session.  If it starts to rain i just pull over and stow my camera.