Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Find a solution. Share a solution. Ask a question. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

How do you calibrate the altitude on a Hero 7 Black

[ Edited ]

This is my first GoPro, so I have a very basic question.  The altitude displayed on the guages seems to always be showing a value which is 50m too high in altitude.

Is there a way to reset the GoPro altitude manually.  I know I am at sea-level!

Thanks,

Jeff

Accepted Solutions
Tourist

Re: How do you calibrate the altitude on a Hero 7 Black

Hi - yes and thanks for the reply, and I have just managed to read the article you reference - it is a good read and explains things well.

I guess I am disappointed that there is no manual calibration available on the GoPro, especially since inaccuracy is a known feature.  I have had cycling GPS devices from Garmin for years now and they are also inaccurate, but not to the degree of the GoPro and they do have the ability to be calibrated and then they show good values (until maybe the ait pressure changes significantly.  For example, my 5 year old Garmin Edge 800 which I just turned on started at -50m but within 2 minutes settled at 1m - which is pretty close to reality.  I didn't need to calibrate it, but could have done so.

I am looking at the possibilities of using RaceRender to use the great video from the GoPro and combine it with GPS data from my cycling device.  Maybe the best option until the GoPro elevation is useful.

This is a really useful forum - thanks!

Jeff

View solution in original post

All Replies
Adventurer

The only way I think this can be done is to try a factory rest, but the manual firmware may be needed.

GoPro

Hi @bravedive44633

We'd appreciate if you can post if the suggested steps work.

If the reset and the update does not correct the issue, please get in touch with our Support Team.

They are available via phone or chat.

https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

I did a factory reset and it changed the altitude to 44m from 50m, so not much better.

It seems extraordinary that the leading action camera can't set elevation manually.  It is pretty well-known that GPS derived elevation is inaccurate and needs to be overruled sometimes.  Right now I am cycling by the sea, so it doesn't matter too much, but when I am snowboarding it would be nice to have some accuracy.

Two questions:

1. Does the GoPro have a barometric elevation sensor as well as GPS-based claulated elevation?

2. Is there any chance that there will be a software update to fix this?

My take on GoPro from about 3 weeks of experience is that the camera captured media is amazingly and stunningly good, but the editing software is rather basic.  On my iPad it is annoyingly slow (I guess down to the iPad, but it makes the software very frustrating to use) and on Windows it seems very flaky - failing to start 50% of the time and very rudimentary.  The Garmin video editing software was far more useful on Windows - you could even add titles! ;-) I am surprised that the supporting software is so seemingly poor.

Thanks, 

Jeff

Adventurer

December new firmware will come out. gopro  may miss the boat on your fix.  For software gopro went Mobile Cineform the  devision, no longer. so best to use 3rd party software for  our editing needs but  the gps part we  have to  limit to Quick, or the app, and some other findings like Race render.

FISH

Tourist

Thanks for the useful replies!

Reading this seems to say that I should use 3rd party video software rather than GoPro's own software tools.  Is that the general view now - has GoPro decided to leave this area to others?  What would seem difficult to get are the GPS metrics?

Jeff

Adventurer

Dashware are you aware of that program GoPro  directs at times.    no they more or less    still got  Quick   but GoPro Studio they phased out.  

Hiker

GPS has never been dead on for sea level.    

See for instance:  https://eos-gnss.com/elevation-for-beginners/