Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

How do i film in slow motion

Hi Guys. This is going to sound a pretty dumb question. But please be sympathetic as I'm quite old and new to the GoPro hero 4 Black. 

I have been searching for help on the internet about filming in slow motion.  Before I go into too much depth. two questions first  .......

Does the Hero 4 black automatically do a slow-motion video that can be watched straight away once cam or card is attached to the computer. Or is it something that I have to do in an editing app.IE Quik?

Please help me, guys. Otherwise, I will be selling this thing.

Regards Dave

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: How do i film in slow motion

Hi @narrowboater53,

You need a third party software for that. 

You also have to change the settings of your camera to high frame per second. 

https://gopro.com/help/articles/how_to/How-Do-I-Get-the-Most-Out-of-720p240

You can also use 1080 120fps.

After that just slow it down using any video editing software that has speed control. 

Check this thread for video editing software sample: https://community.gopro.com/t5/Gopro-hero-6-owners/hiw-to-shoot-slow-motion/gpm-p/196691

You can watch video tutorials on YouTube. 

-Jay

Highlighted
Nomad

When you film in slow motion, all you're actually doing is increasing the frame rate at which you film.  So if you normally record a 10 second video at 30FPS, to achieve Slow Motion you're increasing the frame rate to 60FPS (for example) for that 10 seconds.

The thing is, when you go to play back this clip, there's no way for your player to magically know if you're trying to play back a slow motion video or if you're trying to play back a high frame rate video (a 60FPS video playing for 10 seconds will look sharper and clearer than a 30FPS video playing for 10 seconds).

So to achieve slow motion you need to take your 10 second 60FPS video, put it into a video editor and reduce the speed by 50%.  This will result in a 30FPS video that now lasts 20 seconds (1/2 speed slow motion).  So Filming a 10 second clip at 120FPS and slowing it down by 1/4 will result in a 30FPS video that lasts 40 seconds (1/4 slow motion)

You should be able to easily do this in Quik.

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi Guys. I thought that must be the way it's done. I have quik. But I just can't get my old head around it. And there is a lot to learn. Something I'm not good at nowadays. I finally found the GoPro hero 4 black that does time-lapse videos without having to edit hundreds of pictures. I love that. So now I want to do slow motion. A while ago before I bought a GoPro, I bought a Campark action cam. Yes, cheap rubbish. But at least it did slo-mo straight out of the box. The picture quality was not bad !! So is there a GoPro that I can speed up and slow down a video actually built in the camera. I know....Another daft obvious question.

Dave

Highlighted
GoPro

Got it @narrowboater53

There is no GoPro camera that have built-in Slow Motion feature. 

-jay