Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

How do i edit 5k video?

[ New ]

Got my brand new Hero 9. Shot some footage.  Can't wait to see how it turned out!

But wait - DaVinci Resolve doesn't seem to like the gopro files.  Neither does Windows media player.

Is there a codec I need to download?  What software can i use to edit these videos on a PC?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: How do i edit 5k video?

[ New ]

I was able to find a solution after further investigation and with some guidance from the responses gotten here.

In order to work with the files, I needed to download the "HEVC Video Extensions" from the Microsoft store.  They cost a whopping $0.99.  Once installed, I was able to view and edit the files in DaVinci Resolve 16 (which is a free program).  I was also able to confirm that they work with Adobe Premiere Elements.

If you're only interested in VIEWING the files, the no cost solution is to download the free DIVX applicaiton bundle.  The DIVX player will play the videos, and there is a Converter program which will allow you to downscale the resolution so it will work in editing programs (but if you're going to do that, then you might as well just shoot in 4K or lower).

Interestingly, I found many online comments stating that there is no reason to shoot in 5K.  For anyone who might hold that opinion, let me offer this - the GoPro does not have a lens that allows for zooming in, so in many cases, the only option you have is to create a digital zoom in post production.  When you digitally zoom a video, you lose resolution, so your best option is to start with the highest resolution possible like 4K or 5K.  

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nomad

[ New ]
Don’t shoot in 5k and see if they will play on your PC.
Tourist

[ New ]

Brilliant!  That solved the problem!

Hey, I was having a problem with my car - it was making this strange noise.  So I applied your solution to that as well - I stopped driving my car, and the noise went away!

Any other geniuses out there with a better solution than to not use the features of the product that I bought?

Nomad

[ New ]
I didn’t say stop driving it, I said see if it will drive in a different gear.

The Process of Elimination....
Tourist

[ New ]

I edited my GoPro HERO 9 5K video in EDIUS PRO 9.

The encoding will be 4K, but the editing itself is fine.
You can edit both 5K 24P and 30P.
I'm sharing the video on youtube.

Hiker

[ New ]

The 5K video files are encoded in HEVC H.265 resolution 5120x2880

One needs a computer with enough oomph and powerful enough video card to work with it, in my opinion.

Otherwise, the files have to be transcoded or converted into something the editing program likes.

I would also check with BlackMagic forums to see what else you need for a good editing experience.

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks!  I saw a video on YouTube about Edius, but after researching, it seems that the software costs around $500 which is more than I'd like to spend at the moment.  I did manage to find a solution which I'll post to this thread.

Highlighted
Tourist

[ New ]

I was able to find a solution after further investigation and with some guidance from the responses gotten here.

In order to work with the files, I needed to download the "HEVC Video Extensions" from the Microsoft store.  They cost a whopping $0.99.  Once installed, I was able to view and edit the files in DaVinci Resolve 16 (which is a free program).  I was also able to confirm that they work with Adobe Premiere Elements.

If you're only interested in VIEWING the files, the no cost solution is to download the free DIVX applicaiton bundle.  The DIVX player will play the videos, and there is a Converter program which will allow you to downscale the resolution so it will work in editing programs (but if you're going to do that, then you might as well just shoot in 4K or lower).

Interestingly, I found many online comments stating that there is no reason to shoot in 5K.  For anyone who might hold that opinion, let me offer this - the GoPro does not have a lens that allows for zooming in, so in many cases, the only option you have is to create a digital zoom in post production.  When you digitally zoom a video, you lose resolution, so your best option is to start with the highest resolution possible like 4K or 5K.