Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

How do I charge my GoPro in the backcountry?

[ New ]

GoPro

Re: How do I charge my GoPro in the backcountry?

[ New ]

Hello @gogurl58. You may check out this article How to Charge the Camera Battery.

Tourist

[ New ]
aerinequiz, Thanks. My fault for poor wording. I know how to charge my GoPro, but wondering how to keep it going in the backcountry for a week. I looked online, but think I am asking the wrong question.
GoPro

[ New ]

@gogurl58, if it helps, using a power bank can be an option. For further details, you may refer to Recommended Chargers.

If you intend to use your GoPro for long recording, the camera will work normally when powered from an external power source 5V 1A (5V 2A recommended for HERO9 Black) via USB-C cable. This is perfect for capturing long videos and time-lapse events. However, even though your camera is charging, the battery will not charge during recording. It will start charging when you stop recording. You cannot record while your camera is plugged into a computer.

In addition to this, if you will be using an external power source, I suggest removing the battery if you will be using the camera for very long-term shooting (e.g. Timelapse) to prevent the camera from overheating – at some point, preventing potential damage to the battery as well. Other users have expressed similar suggestions when using an external power source for continuous recording. 

On a side note, without the battery installed, the camera will eventually turn off the moment that the external power stops.

Heads Up: Because the door is open, your camera is not waterproof when charging.