Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

How can i set camera to always turn on wireless when powered on?

I previously used smartphone app to control my GoPros. Pain.  So, I bought the GoPro Smart Remote. Marginally better.

Every time I turn my Hero 5 Black on, I have to go into settings and manually turn on wireless (WiFi, Bluetooth). Only then can I connect with the remote; itself not as seamless as it should be.

How can I configure my Hero 5 Black so that wireless automatically, always, is On upon power up?  I rarely use my camera w/o wireless control. Seems obvious this should be a setting.

Thoughts?

JT...

Accepted Solutions
Tourist

Re: How can i set camera to always turn on wireless when powered on?

In the grand scheme of things, I've gotten this to work very reliably now.  Just returned from 10 days in Colorado, doing the most video capture I've ever done. What I've found is, after a hard power down, such as battery replacement, I need to have the smart remote on, then turn each camera on maually. Then, I can turn everything off using the smart remote once it sees # CAMS available.

For the next few hours, as long as I don't swap batteries again, the cameras come on/off with the remote w/o issue. One thing I did notice. With only one camear active, the camera will respond within 3-5 seconds of toggling the remote. With multiple cameras, it can take up to 30 seconds for (in my case) both cameras to register with the remote.

Overall, I'm as pleased with the GoPro system as I've ever been.

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

Hi @jtp404

It would be best to turn it on and off manually because it consume battery when it's always on and when it connects to your device the camera might also turn on automatically. 

Regards,

-Jay 

Tourist

Would I leave it on all day? No. But I should be able to get everything keyed up, and toggle the multiple cameras (as designed) on/off as needed, until i decide I'm done with it.

Actually, yesterday, for the first time since I've had the smart remote, I've had everything working.  Not 100% why. I've done some further studying. Sounds like if you've at least gotten everything working, you should be good to go for a few hours if left in standby/off. FOr now, good enough. It'd just be nice if it were discussed in the user manual / online documentation on setup.

Adventurer

I wonder if the Hero 6 Black with wake up wifi  be something that the moderator can talk about and  tell you if it is possible  

Tourist

In the grand scheme of things, I've gotten this to work very reliably now.  Just returned from 10 days in Colorado, doing the most video capture I've ever done. What I've found is, after a hard power down, such as battery replacement, I need to have the smart remote on, then turn each camera on maually. Then, I can turn everything off using the smart remote once it sees # CAMS available.

For the next few hours, as long as I don't swap batteries again, the cameras come on/off with the remote w/o issue. One thing I did notice. With only one camear active, the camera will respond within 3-5 seconds of toggling the remote. With multiple cameras, it can take up to 30 seconds for (in my case) both cameras to register with the remote.

Overall, I'm as pleased with the GoPro system as I've ever been.