Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

How can I get full control of where my media goes?

[ Edited ]

I want full and total control of all hardware that I buy. I do not want apps to be the only way I can use my devices.
I notice that in the gopro app, there is a setting called Mobile Upload which is enabled and I cannot find a way to disable this.

In fact, none of the controls/settings in 'My Account' on the phone app seem to let me change any settings.

I have not signed up to cloud storage as I do not want everything I have stored on someone elses storage, I want to store it on my own storage and have full control over being able to edit what ever photos/video I take.

How can I disable this function. How can I be sure this camera is not uploading data even if I don't want it to?

How can I have the camera automatically upload to my phone or better yet, alternative storage device rather than any over the Internet storage (cloud).

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: How can I get full control of where my media goes?

@nimblesand352, the Mobile Upload is a feature in the app for PLUS subscribers. When it is enabled, content in the app uploads to your PLUS cloud storage whenever your mobile device is in the Wi-Fi range. This can also be manually disabled if you prefer to. In the GoPro App, go to Settings then select My Account / Account and deactivate Mobile Upload under the GoPro PLUS section.

If you haven't signed up for PLUS, the Mobile Upload won't be enabled or activated. Also, this would explain why all controls/settings in 'My Account' on the phone app isn't accessible.

Highlighted
Hiker

Thanks for the input. Yes, the controls are 'stuck' to uploading to the cloud.

Is there a way to have the camera upload to the phone automatically? That would be useful especially if you can specify the storage such as an additional SD card.

Highlighted
GoPro

@nimblesand352, is the Mobile Upload's switch/button showing blue (see sample screenshot below)? It would be kinda strange since the GoPro PLUS section won't accessible unless you're logged in to the app with an account that's associated with a subscription. Could you share with us a screenshot showing this page in the app so we can take a closer look at the issue? You can also try to log out from the app and sign back in.

As for offloading the media to the app, your GoPro camera has to be connected in order to download the files. There isn't an automated way to do this.

When downloading media files from the camera to the mobile devices, the file first goes to the GoPro App's media folder. Then, you can download the media files from the app to the native Photos app. Check out this article for more information.

Highlighted
Hiker

They are both greyed out but, Mobile Upload is in the on position.
Highlighted
GoPro

@nimblesand352, try to log out from the app and sign back in. If that won't do the trick, please share with us a screenshot showing the issue so we can look further into the details. Also, be sure to have the latest version of the GoPro App installed on your mobile device. Thanks!