Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

How can Hero 8 be used with External Power without Battery & SD card vulnerable?

How can the Hero 8 be used like the previous Hero 7, 6, 5 with the charging door removed to plug in constant external power without risk of the battery falling out or SD card being vulnerable to the elements? I use the Chesty During Motorsport Activities with external power plugged in on the previous 3 models and with the external power cord plugged into the Jack there is only one Jack exposed to the elements but with the new Hero 8 charging door removed it leaves the battery capable of dislodging and the SD card vulnerable also. Please advise.
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: How can Hero 8 be used with External Power without Battery & SD card vulnerable?

Battery possibly dislodging is a legitimate concern. Most SD cards (especially those on the recommended list) are extremely durable and can withstand up to 72 hours in seawater, extreme temperatures, airport X-ray machines and magnetic fields equivalent to an MRI scanner.

The battery is pretty secure, but I'm sure a little padding and duct tape wouldn't hurt and could keep it from falling out. As far as the camera being exposed to elements, the previous GoPro cameras were vulnerable as well with the USB-C and HDMI ports being exposed. If you don't count the USB-C since the cable is plugged into it, the HERO8 is actually less exposed as every port has something in it (Battery in battery port, SD card in SD slot, and cable in USB-C port).
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: How can Hero 8 be used with External Power without Battery & SD card vulnerable?

I cannot believe that you are suggesting we use duct tape on our $400 GoPro cameras to keep parts from falling out. This was not necessary on the previous 3 generations. Not a good design.
Highlighted
Nomad

Actually when using an external power supply, you're supposed to remove the camera's interenal battery to prevent shutdown as the interenal camera battery may discharge without actually charging when an external power source is used.

So in short, the battery won't fall out if it's not in the camera.

Perhaps GoPro already have designs in place for an extended battery pack, one that fits into the removable door at the base of the camera.

Highlighted
Hiker

You have obviously never used a GoPro with external power while recording. The battery needs to be inside the camera for it to work.
Highlighted
Tourist

Should not be required. In fact, one proposed solution for another issue we saw with the Hero 7 Black was to remove the battery when using the proper power supply.

Highlighted
Explorer

The battery is absolutely NOT required to be in the camera when externally powered, and it is correct that the battery should be removed. Can't believe I forgot that in my original reply.

As far as theincredulous disbelief that I would make a suggestion about using duct tape, what did you expect the answer to be? You posted a question, I offered a possible solution. It's an action camera. What, are you worried the tape won't look good? Again, it's an action camera. Get over it.

It's not a pretend action camera like the Osmo Action and it's Overcropped way to narrow FOV with no GPS or stabilized 2.7K/120fps.
Highlighted
Nomad

I've use plenty of GoPro's with an external power supply when recording, I find it's the best way to get 24 hour timelapse shots or when going on long car journeys to keep the camera recording.  

You asked for help, you're getting helpful replies, stop being a rude little child when people are trying to help you.