Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: How can Hero 8 be used with External Power without Battery & SD card vulnerable?

👆👆👆👆 THIS ☝️☝️☝️☝️
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: How can Hero 8 be used with External Power without Battery & SD card vulnerable?

Aww man, my post ended up on the wrong page. Now it doesn't make any sense. Long story short, I agree with EVERYTHING @irishmanpdx wrote.
Highlighted
Hiker

I do appreciate the suggestions. A couple things to note. I am a 50 plus year old man, not some kid and I use my GoPro for business. I also have a YouTube channel with over 10 million plus views. The thought of using duct tape on a camera to keep components from falling out does not appeal to me because of the way duct tape leaves a very sticky almost permanent residue all over the camera. I am not concerned about appearance of course. I still think this is a bad design compared to the Hero 5, 6 and 7. I understand that you can use the camera without the battery but it still leaves the contacts for the battery exposed to the elements when the battery is removed. Also I understand the SD cards are made to withstand extreme elements but it is exposing the slot for the SD card to the elements with the door removed. Unlike the Hero 5, 6, 7 which only had the HDMI Jack exposed when using external power.
Highlighted
Explorer

I think maybe you were failing to remember that this is a member to member support forum. We didn't design the camera. If we give you a suggestion, it has nothing to do with GoPro. Use painters tape.... Saran wrap.... These are just suggestions from other GoPro camera users taking the time to read your post, consider a possible solution, and then share it with you. Your age and your YouTube viewership is irrelevant.
Highlighted
Hiker

The majority of what you replied is absolutely true. My response was into some of the comments that I feel like are coming from a younger crowd that do not take these new designs of these cameras as serious or as important compared to some people that use it professionally and to make income. Again, I do appreciate the input. I guess maybe I was expecting GoPro to realize they need a door that will protect the battery and the SD card slot and simply leave an open access to charging port USB-C
Highlighted
Nomad

A couple things to note. I am a 50 plus year old man (a 50 year old rude man child....obviously...)

I also have a YouTube channel with over 10 million plus views  (This is the face I make when I care, can't see it?  That means I don't care). 

Look, when people give you suggestions and help, better not to point out things they "obviously" don't know, when they actually "do know".  You just come across as a complete jerk when people are actually trying to help.  So act your age and show some respect in future ok?

I do agree with you, that he thought of using duct tape on a camera to keep components from falling out does not appeal.  Then again, to get the shot, one does what they must because that's what professionals do.  I would have spares to fill with chewing gum to get the shot that's needed, in fact, I do and I don't. (  I mean I have lots of spare to sacrifice for a needed shot, I just haven't had to make that call... and I'm actually not too fond of chewing gum either).

Exposed contacts are a worry, especially in a salt air environment, then again, opening any part of the camera (even the side port on a 5,6 or 7) exposes the insides of the camera (albiet in a smaller opening but enough to allow for corrosion).  This is why for a night lapse at the ocean I would actually use a Hero 4 black with a sealed extended battery (such as a 24 hour refuel power supply).  

The fact that the entire side door assembly of the 8 comes off may have an advantage.  It could mean there's an opportunity to 3D model a door that could be attached to a battery pack or a flexible USB-C power cable which could also be fitted with a rubber gasket to allow for external power while protecting all the contacts inside from any corrosive elements.  This would have been harder to do with 5,6 and 7 as the door itself needed to actually slide across or down to open, whereas on the 8, only the locking mechanism slides, the door itself though is on a hinge.

For now, the cheapest solution might be to buy a couple of spare doors and modify them so you can route power through them but keep the enclosure mostly intact.

Highlighted
Hiker

Hi Mr Nomad, I posted this for reasonable suggestions and help. A lot of your post are filled full of insults and name calling yet you're the one going around calling people childish. Do me a favor and since this post is about helping me I don't need your help anymore. Professionals do not buy equipment that they have to use duct tape and chewing gum.. You seem to imply that it's only about getting the shot which is important, but it's not just about getting the shot as much as it is equipment that is made to function without having to be Jerry rigged.
Highlighted
Hiker

Could you post a pic of what cam looks like with USB power plugged in? I was thinking about getting one.. but it sounds a lot worse than the 7 as far as exposure to elements when using external power.