Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

How I finally figured out how to update the latest driver dated 23 Jan 2019 for Hero 7 Black

I tried and tried to update my camera to no avail.  After reading the instructions for manual update numerous times this is how I finally figured out what to do in case anyone else runs into problems.  I have a PC computer and carefully followed the steps to update. The one step that I had not done was to create a separate folder and label it update.  When I extracted the three files required for update I took each file individually and dragged it into the update folder.  Then I went to my drive where my SD card was loaded and dragged the update folder into the SD drive.  Then I safely ejected the SD card and put back into my camera and when I turned on the camera it updated without any problem.  Prior to me creating a separate folder I was dragging all three files onto the SD card and it did not work.  Hopefully, I will remember this for next time we have an update.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: How I finally figured out how to update the latest driver dated 23 Jan 2019 for Hero 7 Black

I'm glad it worked for you; however, my "suggestion" is not to drag the files to the SD card.

When you Extract the downloaded UPDATE.zip file, there is already an UPDATE folder containing the files.

To clarify:
The file that is downloaded is called UPDATE.zip

Inside that zip file is a folder called UPDATE.

Inside the folder called UPDATE are additional files.

When you Extract the UPDATE folder from the file UPDATE.zip, most programs will show the files inside the UPDATE folder.

You must copy the UPDATE folder (with the files inside) over to the root of your SD card.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: How I finally figured out how to update the latest driver dated 23 Jan 2019 for Hero 7 Black

When you Extract the UPDATE folder (unzip the UPDATE.zip file) it creates an UPDATE folder with the does inside. Problem is, your computer will show you the files inside the UPDATE folder and not the created folder. You don't need to make your own folder separately; however, your method will also work.
Highlighted
Tourist

I tried your suggestion prior to creating an update folder.  When I dragged the files to the drive that contained my SBD card it would not work.  My solutioon was the only method that I found worked for me.

Highlighted
Explorer

I'm glad it worked for you; however, my "suggestion" is not to drag the files to the SD card.

When you Extract the downloaded UPDATE.zip file, there is already an UPDATE folder containing the files.

To clarify:
The file that is downloaded is called UPDATE.zip

Inside that zip file is a folder called UPDATE.

Inside the folder called UPDATE are additional files.

When you Extract the UPDATE folder from the file UPDATE.zip, most programs will show the files inside the UPDATE folder.

You must copy the UPDATE folder (with the files inside) over to the root of your SD card.