Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Horizontal Leveling while inverting camera 180 degrees and then back

[ New ]
I would like to the Horizontal Leveling to work while I film in a normal upright position and then 180 degrees upside down and then return. But recent attempts have failed. Any suggestions?
Screenshot_20201030-223510.png
Hiker

Re: Horizontal Leveling while inverting camera 180 degrees and then back

[ New ]

I'm new here (my Hero 9 arrives next week) but I think the reason for what you are seeing is because depending on resolution, Horizon Levelling only works up to about 45 degrees from the upright position.  To get any more than that you will need the Max Lens Mod and then in certain modes you will be able to rotate the camera 180 degrees.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @superflare1472. @rikkytang is correct. The in-camera Horizon Leveling uses a Digital Lens called Linear + Horizon Leveling to achieve a level horizon up to approximately 45 degrees. You'll need the Max Lens Mod to enable the powerful horizon lock to keep your shot level and steady, even if your camera rotates a full 360° while recording.

Tourist

[ New ]

What I've found so far is that the automatic leveling "turns off" after about 45 degrees and returns when you're less than 45 degrees from upright. 

However, if you start recording upside down, it holds the level until you bring it back upright.

I wish there were a setting that it would maintain horizontal leveling whether the camera is upright or upside down. 

Sightseer

[ New ]

I wasted so much time thinking i was recording with horizontal leveling upside down.
I f'd up thought.  I guess when i flipped the camera to make sure i was recording, which i was.  then it went into 45 degree mode.

Do you realize that nobody from gopro even reads these.  I've had other issues and searched and nobody gives the time of day to respond try to help out from gopro.

I love the camera, but i truely wasted a saturday thinking i was using horzontal leveling, but in actuality.  I would have been better using wid and just croping.  Now i'm croping a 4k which is 45 degrees.  I can't don the math right now, but it's gonna suck.  Mayb 640..  720 if i'm lucky.

This could be a firmware update.   I literly started recording..  everthing perfect.. Then i tilted it over to verify i was recording.. which i was..  then it gets stuck in 45 mode.  F, F, F..  

Sightseer

[ New ]

this would be such an easy patch for the firmware.   It's like..  If stuck 45 degrees..  Make normal.  But no have.  Hopefully soon.
Wasted time..  Missed oppertunities.

Sightseer

[ New ]
Im with you bro.. Sucks. Wasted time. Also, lost money
Tourist

[ New ]

I agree. I'm pretty disappointed that GoPro isn't reading these. Makes me really wonder what the subscription is good for.