Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Horizon leveling does not work for two Photo modes

[ New ]

Continuation of my previous experimental studies of horizon leveling (HL) feature of the GoPro Max camera confirmed and even extended my finding:

1. Horizon leveling does not work at all for Time Lapse 360 Photo and 360 Photo modes, i.e. while rotating around the pitch axis (elevating the optical axis of the lenses up or down).
  2. However, it works well while rotating the camera around the roll axis of the camera (which is parallel the optical axis of the lenses).

The parameters of my camera are as follow:

• GoPro Max
  • Latest release: MAX Update v1.50, May 6, 2020
  • Firmware version: H19.03.01.50.00
  • GoPro App version: 6.18 (9351)

It is the question to the GoPro support team:

• What's wrong?
  • Is it defect or it can be adjusted or fixed programmatically?
  • What shell I do in order to reach full HL for both still Time Lapse 360 Photo and still 360 Photo modes?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thankful in advance.

Olegh

GoPro

Re: Horizon leveling does not work for two Photo modes

[ New ]

Hello, @oleghbond. Horizon Levelling only applies to files captured with the HERO mode on a MAX. It does not work with 360 media. See What is Horizon Leveling? for reference. Thanks!

Tourist

Re: Horizon leveling does not work for two Photo modes

[ New ]

@mariustanya wrote:

Hello, @oleghbond. Horizon Levelling only applies to files captured with the HERO mode on a MAX. It does not work with 360 media. See What is Horizon Leveling? for reference. Thanks!

I have to disagree with you based on the following:

1. Please look through five 360 photos made by GoPro MAX (v. 1.5) in front of a notebook embedded camera. So, whatching the notebook screen (a bit below of the horizon line on the photos) it is possible to see true orientation of the GoPro MAX.
  2. Let me also draw your attention to control panel of the mobile GoPro Apps for the 360 Photo mode (the pictire is below) where one can easily locate the menu element "Horizon leveling" with two possible values "on" and "off".

Conclusion: Horizon Levelling works in the 360 Photo mode for GoPro MAX (v. 1.5), though partially - for rotation over the ROLL axis only. 

My natural questions: Are any technical constraints to introduce Horizon Leveling in full extent for all the 360 Photo modes (including Time Lapse)? When this upgrade can be expected?

200916 gopro app 360 photo.jpg