Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Horizon Level Does not work as advertised

[ New ]

Horizon leveling does not work as advertised. GoPro support had advised me to get the Max Lens Mod to resolve this. I have acquired the new lens for this purpose however the Horizon level still fails during long recording.

In the following video, the horizon can be observed to tilt between minute 28:40 and 32:21.

https://gopro.com/v/gvqQl654lvLq0

Hiker

Re: Horizon Level Does not work as advertised

[ New ]

I have a real problem trying to watch the video, it falters and flashes between a black screen and the first frame continuously.

When I did get to watch a couple of portions, I have to say that it doesn't look as though Hypersmooth or Horison Levelling are on, the image jiggles and moves around far more than I see with stabilisation on alone let alone with HL too.  HL without the Max Lens Mod works well up to around 45 degrees, albeit at the expense of field of view.

Hiker

[ New ]

@stevep71516 have you used the Horizon Leveling for very long recording?

I have used it without the Max Lense Mod for recording longer than 1 hour.

It seems to work well on short recording but beyond 30 minutes, it fails.

I am holding the camera with a shorty stick while running and it would not be possible for me to have it tilt over 45 degrees without noticing the shift.

So my conclusion is that for both with and without the Max Lense Mod, this feature fails for long recording. I am not sure if it was tested for this use. All the videos I see on YouTube are for short activities.

Regarding the issues you have with the video, it is a link from the GoPro Plus cloud. I can see it well on many devices. So I am assuming there is a problem on your side.

Highlighted
Hiker

[ New ]

@stevep71516 Regarding the giggling, here is my observation. If you point the camera at yourself, there is less giggle. All the videos I see on YouTube have the camera pointing at the person recording or at someone else. Maybe having a person in the frame helps with stabilization. I am not sure how well this product has been tested with no person in the frame, but it does not work well at all.

Both with and without the Max Lense Mod there is a lot of giggle as you can see. Also there is a feature in the GoPro mobile app to turn on image stabilization. It used to work and remove some of the giggle. But as of now, it adds even more giggle when this is turned on in the software to the point that the video is unusable. It seems that the quality control in the GoPro software is lacking because a feature that used to work is now broken.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @ledario

We'll have this shared with the team.

Is there another sample file you can share?

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

https://gopro.com/v/Jb4gDBLwgl0Mp
minute 42:00 to 42:20

GoPro

[ New ]

Thanks again! @ledario

We'll post back for updates.

Hiker

[ New ]

I am getting a new problem with the MaxLens.

The image goes in upside down even with the MaxLens Mod.

I have to run the horizon leveling in the mobile software to correct this.

It used to work but now it does not work anymore.

The issues are going from bad to worse with GoPro Hero 9.

https://gopro.com/v/NlMVWgQQ70K64

Time Stamp 22:51

Or the first highlight.

GoPro

[ New ]

Sorry to hear that you continue to have issues with your camera, @ledario. In this case, it would be best to get n touch with our Support Team for further assistance. To connect with them, visit https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . Once there, select "Contact Us" and proceed with either chat or a callback request. Be sure to put in your best contact number.