Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: High frame rate/HEVC files??

@mikea7050

I'm 100% sure it's that you need to pay for the software. Sorry.
Highlighted
Hiker

It's called business. They have staff to pay and overheads to cover. Giving away free copies of the software needs to drive their sales so certain features are only available in the paid for versions.

If these were features people hardly used then very few people would upgrade to the paid version.

It makes sense commercially to exclude certain key high level features such as HEVC or 4k export whilst leaving in enough usability for people to get used to the software on practical projects.

You still have access to a lot of powerful features for free.

Sometimes some of the codes need licences for commercial projects to use the. These are also not usually available in the free versions
Highlighted
Hiker

Got it.

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

Oh wow....so thanks to @swiftdive17138 and this post: https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Gopro-Hero-6-240-FPS-Can-t-open-files/td-p/68115/page/4, I successfully was able to use good old free 2016 Windows Movie Maker to create a slow motion vid out of my clip.

And it had zero issues handling the HEVC file...ha!

Highlighted
Hiker

I was able to use handbrake to convert it to h.264 first and then render the video using any software, even gopro studio.  It's just a pain.  You have to choose the correct frame rate in handbrake or it will just choose 30fps.

Highlighted
Hiker

Yep.  It's CODEC support in the editors mostly.  Davinci Resolve for instance only includes HEVC (H.265) decoding support in the (paid) Studio version (http://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/DaVinciResolve/20180404-10399d/DaVinci_Resolve_15_Feature_Comp... AFAIK Premier Pro is the same.

NVidia supported hardware decoding of HEVC starting back with the 960 series or there abouts.  Of course, that only helps if your software actually uses the hardware.

Handbrake is the best free option for transcoding HEVC to H.264.  It uses the GPU hardware acceleration (NVidia, AMD or Intel) and supports both the 4K resolutions as well as the 240fps framerates.  Adobe Media encoder also works well and is hardware accelerated, but then if you have access to AME then you probably don't need to transcode....

Highlighted
Hiker

The prob lem with transcoding from HEVC h265 to AVC H264 is that both are highly compressed lossy codecs and every time you re-encode a video you can loose details and introduce artifacts.  As each of these codecs mainly describes the difference of a frame from previous frames there's only a complete frame every so often and artifacts can build up.

There's other codecs that are better to use as intermediary files such as ProRes which holds each individual frame as a complete image.  This makes massive files but as the computer doesn't have to search back and forward between i-frames to be able to reconstitute a frame it's less resource hungry in an editor - ASSUMING that is, that you editor reads ProRes files.

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

I could not get this to work in any software even after converting it to H.264 with Handbrake. I chose the "Keep source framerate" and followed instructions to a tee and still choppy as hell in any editor. Yet Windows Move Maker was buttery smooth with original file...go figure!