Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: High frame rate/HEVC files??

@mikea7050

The free version of Adobe Premiere Pro does NOT have HEVC compatibility, you have to purchase it for that.

Therefore I expect the others are the same. The free versions probably just don't support it.

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

Thanks! I have no experience with Optomized Media but will try give that a go and see if it works. Having very recently bought a new graphics card and RAM, Im not about to buy an entire new computer system just to edit HEVC files.

@quickhero77554 - Ok thanks, good to know, although Im kinda surprised by this limitation in these software programs.

Highlighted
Hiker

I thinks that's common for a lot of editors that offer a free version.  The free version has enough to get you using it but some things are only available in the licenced version.

I don't think Lighworks has HEVC in it's free version.

I believe that Blender supports h.265 in the VSE but then again, Blender only has a free version :)

Highlighted
Nomad

Hi mates

My Pc is Ryzen r5 1600 + 16GB 2800Mhz Ram + 1060 6GB and 2 x SSD. I work on Sony Vegas 14 PRO. When I put my 1080p 240 fps sample to trimmer, yes its lagging but as always, nothing new. When I put some part at timeline I have to prerender it to have smooth preview in draft or normal mode and some half quality. I think it is not easy for PC to render so high framerate video sample, but at the end we got this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CtVv0qDfKg

I love this ... 8 x times slower.

Highlighted
Hiker

I couldn't even get handbrake to scan the file, it just spins with 0% complete.  I've tried sony vegas pro 13 and of course gopro studio won't even import it.  windows 10 plays it in slow motion.

Highlighted
Nomad

First of all when I first time import files from GoPro to Sony Vegas it took some time and after couple of sec I had a messeage "HEVC is succesfull installed

Secondly when I ran my 240fps files or 4k/60 at i3 or i5 with some low pc video card - was running soo slow. For these 2 you need good cpu + gpu
Highlighted
Nomad

In case anyone was thinking about investing in new hardware, I can tell you that recent Macs of good spec fly thru this stuff without stumble or concern.  

Mostly I use a 2017 rMBP and an external rugged but huge spinner drive for files.   

WHOOSH for the most part. 

They can also be upgraded at time of order, and you can add-on later. 

For instance you can bump beyond the Intel and discrete graphics card...to a thunderbolted external G-card or two, and external SSDs.

Not to mention that in a group setting you can connect them via network such that the unused capacities of most, can he harnessed by the one doing some heavy lifting at the moment.  

The iMacs are faster and more easily upgraded or worked hard in some ways, but I need the portability.   They can also run all Windows programs either directly or virtually, but I prefer staying in OSX except for legacy stuff.  

I'm sure someone can speak to the PC side of things.  

Highlighted
Hiker

All I know is that my computer has ZERO issues playing the latest graphic intensive games. I just am flawed that a) software editing programs dont suport HVEC unless its the expensive paid ones and b) that computers that can do the above...cant handle a 10 second 240FPS video. Id feel better if it was simply (a) that was the issue but if all it is is a codec...then why?