Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Find a solution. Share a solution. Ask a question. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker
Accepted Solution

High frame rate/HEVC files??

[ Edited ]

So to my surprise, Im amazed at how my computer cannot handle HEVC files. I recorded some footage in 1080 240FPS. My iphone can play the footage fine, albeit in slow mo. However, Ive tried multiple software editing programs on my PC and none can play the files. Im on Windows 10 and its native player, plays the file fine, but have this issue whenever I try use a video editing software...its competely choppy to frozen and unusable. What gives folks and why can my simple iphone play this file yet Ive tried VSDC and Davinci Resolve (even used handbrake to downgrade to h264 with same issue) and its unplayable...forget about editing?? My graphics card is newer and so is my RAM, if anything, may be my CPU which is older, but just confused on where this issue is. 

Accepted Solutions
Hiker

Re: High frame rate/HEVC files??

[ Edited ]

Oh wow....so thanks to @swiftdive17138 and this post: https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Gopro-Hero-6-240-FPS-Can-t-open-files/td-p/68115/page/4, I successfully was able to use good old free 2016 Windows Movie Maker to create a slow motion vid out of my clip.

And it had zero issues handling the HEVC file...ha!

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

Hello @mikea7050

Would you know if your computer was manufactured before 2016? The issue you are observing may be associated to limitations with HEVC in older computers. While your computer's operating system supports playing the HEVC file or media, a newer processor maybe needed for a smoother playback, more so with editing the files. HEVC is supported on Windows 10 computers using the Intel Kaby Lake (or equivalent) processor and newer. You can reference this article on HEVC for more information. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Tourist

What graphics card do you have in your computer? Integrated cards aren't that hot, a recent nvidia card would have hevc capabilities.

What is the spec of your pc?
Have you tried using proxies in your editors?
Hiker

I have a GEForce GTX 1060 3GB gaming card, so cannot be that. 

Yes, my CPU is older than 2016. My computer plays the file fine, its the editors that cant. 

Nomad

@mikea7050

Are you using the latest versions of the editing software?

I found with Adobe Premiere Pro I couldn't play HEVC but then updated to the latest version and voila it was supported.

Nomad

And to clarify I'm using a pc I built in 2014 and have no issue editing 4k 60fps HVEC files on it in Adobe Premiere Pro.

Processor: Core i7 2.6gHz (2014 Intel model)

Graphics: GTX 780

Ram: 8GB DDR3

Hence it probably is not your computer specs that's the issue.

Hiker

Yep these were both programs I downloaded yesterday (free versions though)

I also have 8GB DDR3. My CPU is old though....but as I said, plays fine in Windows 10 native player.

Tourist

Possible that the editors are struggling with the framerate on your system.  Have you tried using proxies (Optimised Media?) to edit with as it will reduce the system overhead?