Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Find a solution. Share a solution. Ask a question. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

I repeatedly have to remove the battery to get the camera to respond, this is extremely dissapointing and frustrating, we are talking the flagship model of this series here, thanks in advance.

GoPro

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

[ Edited ]

Hi @boldsand34481

What SD card are you using?

Does the camera freeze while recording or even on stand by mode?

Kindly try to update the camera manually. https://gopro.com/update

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

I have similar issues. Two times it froze while being in standby, it showed zero life signs, had to remove the battery to turn it on again. Tried night timelapse photo, froze on 649 photo. I have "Samsung EVO Plus UHS-I U3 128 GB".
Hiker

Hi, I am using a 64 GB Sandisk Extreme as shown below, the exact same card as recommended by GoPro, every time I pull the batt out to unfreeze when I put it back in the screen shows my settings, protune and such, but as soon as I press the shutter button to start recording or I use the app to start recording or take a photo the camera freezes, every time, no exceptions, getting real tired.

IMG_0628 64 GB.jpg
GoPro

Hello @bluedawn44862 and @boldsand34481

Sorry to hear about the trouble. If the issue still persists even if you have already manually updated your cameras, the next path forward would be to get in touch with our Support team for further troubleshooting steps. Yo can connect with them through phone or chat here https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Let us know how it works out. Other members who might be having the same issue will find it helpful. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Hiker

I spoke on phone with support and was told it was probably a bad update so update again manually. This is the result-I went into the support page and when I entered my details they were already there, I had downloaded the update folder on Saturday so it would not let me in, the recaptcha software wouldn’t take me to the next step. I went into my downloads and it was still there unused from Saturday so I formatted the card and installed the update folder onto it. I ejected the card and installed it into camera. The camera did not automatically start the update so I had to turn camera on. It told me update was successful so I tried to start video and it froze again. The exact same as has been since the first minute, no change whatsoever. I picked this camera up on Saturday, charged the battery while driving, did the initial update, drove fifty miles to film a location, got there, camera froze. Wasted journey. Was told by everyone on forum, “it’ll be the sd card” although card had been used to record 4Kvideo with no problems. Ok, bought a brand new higher spec card today and guess what? Exact same problem, I’m afraid I have came to the end of my patience with this camera, it is being returned tomorrow. Cheers, Bill.
Tourist

Having exact same issue. Ugh. 

The only reply anyone says is: what kind of card are you using? lol.

I have a brand new sandisk card v30 64gb A1 

My GoPro7 has not yet recorded one second of a clip since I opened it new.

MULITPLE manual updates, I've tried everything.

Hiker

Yeah it’s so frustrating, likewise I haven’t recorded one second of video or one single still image, I’m getting sick of troubleshooting a flagship camera that hasn’t worked out of the box, that’s not my job, that is what quality control is for, do GoPro not test these units before they release them?