Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

sandisk 32G extreme pro & sandisk 64G extreme.

so what is next?

Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

sd cards are both sandisk 32G extreme pro & 64G extreme.

it happend only in standby mode after recorded an video. withou sd card there is no way to do recording that means there  is no fteeze issue.

i notice that after recorded an video there still have some thread running on the background and when the camera changed it's view between portrait and  landscape mode the some thread is make its view crach even i set the view mode as "up".

Highlighted
Hiker

hi @graytree76514

sd cards are both sandisk 32G extreme pro & 64G extreme.

it happend only in standby mode after recorded an video. withou sd card there is no way to do recording that means there  is no fteeze issue.

i notice that after recorded an video there still have some thread running on the background and when the camera changed it's view between portrait and  landscape mode the some thread is make its view crach even i set the view mode as "up".

Highlighted
Tourist

Mine too! BRAND NEW!!

Bought it for Christmas, and just opened it last week, went to chicago for New Year, and every single time I wanted to record something, it would freeze, or not even turn on. Had to remove the battery and turn it back on at least 17 times in a 3 days trip. It is SO FRUSTRATING.

I had read all the issues after I bought the camera (Big mistake), and try to prevent them by installing all the recommended updates. But the same issue than all the users here.

I'm using the same microSD card that comes with the Camera sold directly by GoPro in its website "SanDisk Extreme® 64GB microSDXC™".

The last day of my trip, I didn't want to record S**T because of the frustrating experience.

I had different GoPro cameras in the past. 3 Silver, 3 Black, 4 Silver, 4 Black. And now that I decided to upgrade to a camera with newer features, the User Xperience has been dissapointing.

Don't know if return it, wait for an update...

Highlighted
Hiker

That must have been so frustrating and disappointing, I feel your pain, on a trip like that you just want stuff to work, I hope they resolve this issue soon, it’s not good enough.
Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

Updated my firmware over the weekend and now I'm having the freezing problems as well, which started today?

I believe I know what it is however.

Just call me a "hipster" - I mean literally, I shoot my videos from the hip.

I'm a Street Photographer; I walk around snapping; rarely do I use the screen, frankly I prefer to COVER it w/3D printed opaque cover.

I wish there was a setting to TURN THE DISPLAY OFF while recording after a timeout!   Please GoPro, make a setting where I can tap the power button to turn screen on/off AND/OR 5 second screen off timer - I appreciate your support!

Being that I don't use the display, the first setting I turn on is LOCK, as I don't want my fingers, as I hold the camera down near my waist to trigger any setting changes (did I mention I'd prefer the screen to be OFF??)

At times I just don't want it to be known that I'm recording - a lot happens in the big city and it's nice to have a camera to capture it all! 

The GoPro is perfectly stealthy, fits my bill nicely, except for that **bleep** ALWAYS ON SCREEN - again, please consider a setting to allow me to turn it off when recording (and save me some battery life in the process)...

What I noticed today, being new to the Hero 7 Black and getting used to it, compared to the 3 Black I had prior, was adjusting how to hold it - my finger tips were constantly touching the screen, triggering the "screen locked, slide down from top..."  message on the display as I was adjusting my grip on the camera.

Depending on what I'm shooting sometimes I'll hold the camera horizontally in front of me (covering my belt), or long edge down / vertical, arm down by my pants pocket (You just won't find me out there filming and looking at the screen like other peope do; I do sometimes, but it's very RARE).

The first freeze I had noticed today was the screen had rotated vertically where the "slide down" text message was frozen on the screen - I was pressing the record button but not seeing the red blinking dot - WTH??   Holding in the power button eventually turned off the camera.

I immediately changed the setting to prevent screen rotations based on camera orientation!  That didn't help, as it eventually froze again.

After about 3-freezes today, I got the IMPRESSION that my fingers, while holding the camera, constantly triggering the screen was what caused the camera to freeze!??

Not sure what the camera has to do while a locked screen is being pressed, but perhaps getting 4-10 taps in rapid succession (multiple fingers at a time too) is causing some code somewhere to crash??

If i gingerly held the camera by its body w/my finger tips not touching the screen at all, the camera "behaved" as expected, but once my fingers started randomly touching the screen w/the lock message coming and going, it would eventually freeze again w/the same swipe to unlock message stuck on the screen.

I had swore I would never buy a GP again after the record button on my 3-black eventually went wonky (multiple press / debounce problems, etc.) 

I'm kinda expecting the same to eventually happen again with the 7-Black, but I had to try the newly touted "silky smooth" stabilization.

So far when I snapped some 60fps hyper smooth clips, I have to admit they're looking great compared to all my other cameras - I didn't however plan on these FREEZING problems....

I'm hoping this gets resolved, as I have about 3-weeks left with my return window...

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi. Similar issue was reported on a different topic. There is a hotfix for this issue... until it gets fixed.

https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/The-firmware-version-01-61-is-making-screen-freeze-on-standby...

Highlighted
Tourist

There is now an update 1.7, problem is still not solved.