Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

My Gopro does the same and on yop of it all it switches itself off as well. I took it back to shop where I bought it from and they will exchange it. They will not regund me even if the problem continue with the next camera. I buy the top of the range in the Hero range then I expect to get a camera that is working or I need my money back. This is my third Gopro and the first time that I am not happy with the product. Please help me solve this problem. 

Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

@bluesand78876

1. What SD card are you using? 
  2. Have you tried a different card? 
  3. Did you format the card (FULL in the computer and then again in the camera)? 
  4. Did you update the firmware? 
  5. Did you run a manual update? What settings are you using?

I have three Hero7 Black cameras and have none of these issues.  However, there is a new update that is coming our in December that should rectify any issues that you are experiencing.  It's very important that you use a good SD card off of this list https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations

When you get your new camera, do not turn it on.  Charge the battery for 1-2 hours using a wall charger and disconnect.  Download the manual update to your computer.  Extract the UPDATE folder to your computer.  Using a USB/SD adapter, insert your SD card into your computer.  Perform a FULL (not Quick) format of the SD card.  Copy and paste the UPDATE folder (not UPDATE.zip) onto the card.  Right click and Eject the SD card and then insert it into your camera.  Turn the camera on and allow the update to complete.  On the camera, go into preferences>Reset and format the SD card.  Go Back into Preferences>Reset and Factory reset the camera.  Go through the on camera set up process and you should be fine.

Highlighted
Adventurer

three times.. not thecamera.   ifno resolutions found and other  pointing ut.  best to contact gopro.com about it over the phone emails do not work chat takes to long a phone call is the old way and hte fastest way

Highlighted
Tourist

Yep, Another one, brand new Hero7 been using for less then a week, get some good surf conditions today and bamb!, Keeps freezing!!

Search online and find this thread, obviously an issue with them, anybody on a solution yet?

Highlighted
Tourist

Since yours worked, I would suggest formatting the SD card in camera first, if that doesn't work, try a new SD card.  A few of us had no luck right out of the box, my replacement will sometimes show "SD corrupt"  but if I power cycle the camera, it reads and records just fine. 

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

Just wanted to add another data point - I have been seeing this behavior with my Hero 6, just got a 7 and it is the same exact thing. I am using SanDisk Extreme cards, I have tried multiple cards, still getting the same issues

(I use one-button start)

What I have been seeing:

- the camera wil start recording and then locks up about 10 seconds later (doesn't save anything)

- recording will run but once you stop it, the confirmation beeps only come about maybe 30 seconds later and the file is corrupted - video will run for 10 seconds and then it freezes, only audio continues (see video below as an example from a 2-minute clip)

- I have also seen the behaviour someone mentioned before - camera just sitting on my desk, switched on, changes mode on its own... no input, the touchscreen is clean

This is extremely frustrating as I'm regularly losing footage due to these issues... I always format the SD card in the camera, camera is updated to latest FW, the issue is hard to replicate since sometimes it works just fine for an hour and then it freezes.

And don't get me started on the reliability of the wifi connection to the remote...

I find it hard to believe that I got a lemon since this is my 5th gopro and they ALL sometimes froze.. I guess it's shame on me for still buying them..

GoPro, any recommendations other than returning the camera? I honestly have very little confidence a different unit will work better...

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @jonathonr15 @plawa

A manual update should take care of the freezing issue.

https://gopro.com/update/hero7-black

Once completed, format the SD card on your camera. Preferences> Reset> Format SD Card

You may also check this article: Camera Freezes Up

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

I having the same problem as well. I have posted in Malaysia GoPro Facebook group and seems a lot people are getting this issues.

1. Extreme Pro as recommended

2. Yes I tried Lexar and Samsung, it's the same

3. I format fully using computer

4. Update and downgrade as well 1.61 and 1.51
5. Manual Update using SD card, Settings I'm using 4k 60fps and photo shotting as well, no matter what settings, it hangs.

Even factory reset does not solve this, GoPro you really have to do something on this if not this 400 bucks spent on a junk that does not work properly.

I believe you would have the issues as well.