Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

I just opened on I got from gopro with the U3 card they sent, updated it through the desktop app, and am having the same issue.  I got the manual update as well, extracted it the root fo the SD card, but it does not appear to even attempt to udate.  I ran through the factory, and settings resets.  I can write to the SD fine on my laptop, but I have to wait until later to try another card, they are not with me.   I hope we can find a fix, I don't want to wait to get it repaired.

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

Hello @michaell6877

After extracting the UPDATE folder from the downloaded UPDATE.zip folder, was it the UPDATE folder that you copied to your SD card, or the files inside it? If you would be able to trace back the steps and do them again, please make sure that it is the UPDATE folder that you copy to the SD card. There is a step that we found confusing on the manual update instructions and the team is working on getting it corrected. Let us know how the camera performs once you test it again. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Highlighted
Hiker

This is utterly unacceptable, I’m flabbergasted as to how GoPro can think this is anywhere near where a camera should be straight out of the box.
Highlighted
Adventurer

GoPro the cards offered are 60 mb write speed. Also what is the minimum write speed allowed. One of GoPro team said 78mb in 4k. That did not answer the question. What is the minimum speed required to work on the GoPro no issues and that may help some of the new people.
Highlighted
Tourist

UPDATE:

After trying everything, I returned the GoPro7 Black back to Target (although I ordered online). They exchanged it beautifully.

Came home, updated, yada yada yada and this one is working perfectly. So far.

Note: HUGE advantage of ordering from target or walmart over amazon or gopro....if something goes wrong after you get it, at least you can walk into a store and get it handled on the spot.

Highlighted
Tourist

UPDATE*** still broken-  Turing off stabilization and it started recording, but there is still gltiches in the recorded video.  I turned off everything, gps, voice, wifi, etc, the only changes that worked was the formats with stabilization turned off, this card is a A1 rate class v30, but I will try another one just to be sure. 

Any tips on getting the manual update to re-flash after it was updated with quick?  I have copied the files to the root of the SD card, but it boots up normally.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @michaell6877

Make sure to copy the extracted folder to your SD card.

Your SD card should have the UPDATE folder not just the files inside.

This should initiate the update once the SD card is back on the camera.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Hiker

I did this yesterday again, the folder was loaded onto the card, card inserted into camera, update accepted and told me it was installed successfully and then pressed the shutter button and froze. This has been the script since Saturday, how can some cameras be operational out of the box and mine isn’t? Doesn’t this say something is far from right? Does anyone at GoPro care?