Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

[ New ]

I think the battery may be to weak for the power consumption on CPU peaks. Anyone tried it with those new and improved batteries?

Hiker

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

[ New ]
Great answer.

It does make me think that GoPro ought to remove SanDisk from their "acceptable cards" list. My cards are all SanDisk Extreme with speeds far exceeding the write-rate. And both my Hero 7's randomly stopped recording using cards which work flawlessly in my hero 3 4 and 5. I'm co suffering buying an 8 along with the card you like. And doing testing with your card and the SanDisks. A list attempt before full-on bail.

GoPro failed to send me my original camera or replacement in the expedited time frame they promised. And when their 1080i stopped working after the Hero 3 (hdmi out) they did a really poor job accepting any role in changing implementation. Glad they are responsive to you.. not my experience.
Tourist

[ New ]
How do they get away with it
Tourist

[ New ]

So Sandisk cards aren't working for you?

Let's assume that SD cards really do make a difference, I've tried with:

- 2 different Samsung Evo plus 128Gb (MB-MC128GA/AM) - both had the same freezing/corrupt video and not turning off problems

- Lexar 667x VIDEO (UHS 3 / V30) 64GB (LSDMI64GVBNA667A) - had the same issues as the samsung evo cards

I was going to try a Sandisk card next, but it seems like these are no better.

Is anyone having consistent success with any of the SD cards on the GoPro approved list?

Just for completeness. All 3 of my cards work flawlessly on my Hero 6 and on other devices. It's just the Hero 7 that has problems.

Hiker

[ New ]

No luck with any brand of SD cards here. I swapped every component including the camera itself.

But there's some shady **bleep** going on here - all those battery posts are almost instantly deleted. Any statement from the moderators regarding that? These posts were not rude.

Adventurer

[ New ]

I start c/p them .  If you have a freezing issue  the best advice I can give is make a video post up, share to the world.

Explorer

[ New ]
I've only had issues with two of my five SanDisk Extreme v30 64 GB cards. Evo Select (same as Evo Plus but branded for Amazon) and Lexar 677X (both 64GB) haven't given me any issues. I have a Lexar 677X 128GB coming. I never use 128GB or larger storage cards, so this will be the first card I try with this storage capacity.

I have the HERO8 Black and will try it's new battery with the two SanDisk cards that were giving me issues in the HERO7 Black. I've done a few long recordings until the battery died, but this is not the norm for me.

I don't know why the battery test post would be removed as they do seem to point to a potential issue/user solution (solution for the user being to swap out battery at around 20%). If that is a solution for users, I do understand that it is not "solving" the camera problem some people are having, but it's still a workaround solution that we, members of the support community" can recommend people try.

I've listed my usual work flow with my cameras, but I'll do it again as it might help identify why my experience has been positive and without issues (except with the two cards).

1. I charge my batteries using the Dual charger and bring it with me (along with a UGREEN power pack that also stores one GoPro battery).
2. I don't keep my battery in the camera when not in use
3. When I'm going to use the camera I insert a battery that day
4. After inserting the battery I connect to the GoPro app on my phone and format my SD card in the camera and then press the Date/Time to make sure it's synced.
5. I generally make short recordings from 30 seconds to 2 minutes but sometimes record for about 15-30 minutes. I rarely record for longer, but sometimes I do.
6. When possible, I usually swap out batteries when it starts to get low. Very rarely do I completely drain a battery.
7. I mostly use two batteries for a days recording. When I'm done, I take the battery in the UGREEN power pack and put it in the camera so I can transfer the media to my phone on my way home.
8. When home, the media is usually done transferring to my phone and auto Quik Story created. I've also found that the media uploads to GoPro Plus much faster this way.
9. I remove the battery and SD card (the other two in the Dual charger I've already plugged in to charge, the third goes back into the UGREEN power pack).
10. I insert the SD card into my USB 3.0 adapter in my computer and upload the videos. Once done I format the card using the SD Association formatter (Periodically doing a full overwrite). https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/
Tourist

[ New ]

I just posted ten examples. What did it do? Did that somehow fix the hero 7?

Adventurer

[ New ]

Crap I am shocked all went so smooth to the last edit clip of 4K@30,  camer worked 1000000000000% I blame gopro for failing the last clip that crashed my  machine.     wait  the ten commandments worked Peerfect thand Dan....

Tourist

[ New ]

Your posts are extremely hard to decipher. Is english your second language?

The last clip shows the camera fails after only 5 minutes and it's not even using the high framerate setting. It overheats and ruins the footage even though there is airflow going over the camera. 

Cool! I guess the gopro is cool, as long as the sport you're into only needs to be filmed for 5 minutes or less.

Adventurer

[ New ]

@mastershake wrote:

Your posts are extremely hard to decipher. Is english your second language?

The last clip shows the camera fails after only 5 minutes and it's not even using the high framerate setting. It overheats and ruins the footage even though there is airflow going over the camera. 

Cool! I guess the gopro is cool, as long as the sport you're into only needs to be filmed for 5 minutes or less.

WOW  good for you. maybe you should   Purchase a hero 8 Black, and all the troubles will go away?  

Adventurer

[ New ]

Oh sorry, wait for the answer you question to.  Coming soon.

GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for the feedback, @mastershake. Have you manually updated your camera to the latest firmware? Are you using a recommended SD card and have formatted it prior to usage? These are basic checks to isolate the cause of the trouble. If you have done both of these and you continue to experience issues with your camera, the next step would be to engage our Support team. 

The Support Hub is a venue for members to share solutions based on personal experiences and knowledge of the issue/topic. If a solution could not be found here, it would be best to connect with our Support team to look into other factors causing the trouble. There are instances when the camera itself is faulty and we explore options under warranty policy for such cases.

Reporting these issues to Support helps our development teams to get actual data which will eventually lead to a fix via a firmware update. No reports, no issue, no solutions.

We are not able to pull up a case associated with your profile that pertains to a technical issue. But if you already have one, and probably under a different email address, may we have the case number so we can do a follow up? Feel free to post back or send me a direct message should you have further questions or concerns. 

Many thanks!

Sightseer

[ New ]

I have had the same issues but after changing several settings I have found that it does not ever freeze if I turn off wifi.

Hiker

[ New ]
So you're saying that you were able to get stable performance after disabling features, including WiFi (which some ppl require to remotely stop and start the device when mounted in obscure locations).. sound accurate?
Hiker

[ New ]

The problem with the 7 is heat and GoPro not designing the camera properly to handle it.  The camera just starts baking. There

was little effort put into designing the camera to drain the heat out and away from the CPU and other circuitry.

So ya, turning things off will cut down the amount of work the CPU has to do and thus lessen the amount of heat being generated.

When things start to overheat it will either crash or lock up.   Stuttering is likely the CPU throttling itself to try and cut down the heat it's producing.   Computers, GPU's and Cellphones all do the same thing.

A workaround is pulling the battery and running off an external power bank which removes one of the sources of heat (Battery)

and the cavity  the battery normally occupies is somewhere for the heat from the rest of the camera  to go.

That solution is only good for people doing vlogs and such though, not for people who attach their Gopro's to surf boards and that sort of thing.

Hiker

[ New ]

@jb075 wrote:

A workaround is pulling the battery and running off an external power bank which removes one of the sources of heat (Battery)

and the cavity  the battery normally occupies is somewhere for the heat from the rest of the camera  to go.

That solution is only good for people doing vlogs and such though, not for people who attach their Gopro's to surf boards and that sort of thing.

Pulling the battery actually *would* be an option for me, as I'm 99% of the time running it directly plugged into A/C, or an external "always on" USB battery pack for use with stage productions.  I always keep the battery in when running in those configs so if for some reason A/C cuts out, the camera will keep going, but in the 5+ years I've been using GoPro's in my setup I haven't yet had such a power outage... so maybe this would be a viable option for me.    Still can't count on the WiFi for remotely starting/stopping though... it's hit or miss, which is a darned PIA when mounted in obscure places above the stage... fortunately I just put in a 128 GB card and let it start recording an hour before house opens ... the 5H record time covers the gap.

I just can't stand work-arounds, and I hear the Hero 8 hasn't adequately addressed the overheating problems :(  I do think I'm going to have to look at DJI's competing product for my next addition.

Hiker

[ New ]

Ya, the firmware is screwy as well.  That's up to GoPro to fix and I doubt they will.

I don't use the Wi-Fi, GPS and other stuff so I can't offer any tips on how to deal with that.

Tourist

[ New ]

I'm not so sure it is a heating problem.   I had two important projects last week where a Gopro 7 and a 8 froze in this manner.  The linked GP7 video is at altitude (20,000' ?) with a metal case that surely keeps the camera cool when the outside air is less than zero. 

BTW, I always have a GoPro freeze during my projects.  It's just the nature of their product.  That's why I use multiple cameras (seven on this airplane).  However, I did have to explain to the customer that the best forward camera to record his landing and the one he was working with the remote froze due to product reliability issues.  Most of the time, it's easy to pull the battery out and reset the camera, (unless you're at 20,000' and 300 MPH).

The Gopro 8 froze while on a motorcycle project after only a short period of running and the outside temperature was about 65 degrees, so I doubt it was heat.   All cameras were using Sandisk V30 UHS 3 Extreme 32 or 64 Gb chips. 

I still have seven Gopros even though the 7 & 8 freeze.  I also have a Rylo 360 (great video, reliable, easy to use), a Mavic Air, a Nikon 360 (horrible product) as well as shooting video with Nikon SLR's and Mirrorless.   All GoPro's prior to the 7 work fine with no freezing.  That's why I keep them and use them to back up the 7 & 8.  The new ones take great video, but are unreliable for that shot you can't miss. 

I don't believe it is GoPro's fault, but actually a systemic issue with all IT and software engineers.  They are like educators, they don't have to produce a completed product or pass a fundamental "does that make sense or work in all cases" test.  It's just the world we live in today.  Get over it and focus on what works for you.

I'd upload more bad video, but I just don't have time to waste and it just fuels my frustration with GoPro.

BAD GP7 Video - https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZuoEYkZAjIjmf2p5U8RLeXnd7KHIQkvRW1V

Hiker

[ New ]

@kurtg2031 Hey.. great addition to the conversation.. thanks for sharing your experience.

I'm curious -- what mounts did you use for the exterior GoPro's on the plane?

There are some users here that will swear that switching away from their SanDisk cards solved their Hero7 problems; I haven't tried this myself, having used all those SanDisk cards without issue in any of my prior model GoPro's.  

AND -- working 16 years as an IT professional with a CS background, and owning my own business now, I can't disagree with you more about it not being the fault of the company who makes (or has made) the devices.  Do individual software engineers probably work on only small pieces of the puzzle that makes the entire camera -- probably.  Do individual units of functionality get tested?  Maybe?  Surely you'd agree that it's the company's responsibility to institute integration and end-user testing sufficient to meet whatever level of quality they deam "good enough for release" though, ya?  With enough of us experiencing these issues, repeatability of the problems seems to be a no-brainer, evident, measureable, documented.   

We can only conclude the company (not the individual developers) intentionally chose to move forward with the release and distribution of flawed products because they had deadlines to meet and shareholders to answer to (revenue needed) -- a "good enough" quality they felt they could handle.  meh..

Q: why do you continue with their product vs. going with a different, potentially more reliable one like the DJI Action? (which I have no experience with -- no attempt to sell here, just understand)

Tourist

[ New ]

One of the first fixes I tried was using the camera without WiFi. It had no impact on the number of freezes I was getting, which was lots.

I've also tried Samsung cards in addition to Sandisk ones, they both fail.

Has anyone tried the newer hero 8 batteries? I wondered if these had any effect?

Tourist

[ New ]

I used 4 Hero7 blacks during a music video and had multiple freezes, WITH NO BATTERY, running on external source, 1080, protune off, wifi was on. Cameras were still mounted. 

Removing the battery didn't stop mine from freezing. Additionally, in the same environment, in another test, some would lockup in 10 minutes, and then they'd go 3 hours and lockup.

@jb075 wrote:

The problem with the 7 is heat and GoPro not designing the camera properly to handle it.  The camera just starts baking. There

was little effort put into designing the camera to drain the heat out and away from the CPU and other circuitry.

So ya, turning things off will cut down the amount of work the CPU has to do and thus lessen the amount of heat being generated.

When things start to overheat it will either crash or lock up.   Stuttering is likely the CPU throttling itself to try and cut down the heat it's producing.   Computers, GPU's and Cellphones all do the same thing.

They are flatout buggy. It is hard to nail down any one specific feature or combination of features.

With fading optimism I keep coming back to these threads in hopes that these cameras will see a firmware update to make them reliable. When 1.8 was released, I was hopeful, but same thing. I have already seen complaints about the Hero8 locking/freezing as well. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello Everyone!

If you continue to get the same behavior of the camera after trying the steps on https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/Camera-Freezes-Up/ta-p/393032 , please reach out to our Support Team to have this checked further.

They are available by phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

Ej

Explorer

[ New ]
Be sure to run a manual update for your HERO7. New firmware just released.
Adventurer

[ New ]
GoPro releases today Firmware version 1.90 to fix Bug Bug fixes, you thought you were getting a new hero 8 in the Hero 7 (Grin) 24% battery updates like ...
Adventurer

[ New ]

At least we know its still the same  ole Interface Lol.  and why gopro allowed me to update at 24% power.  Lol

Tourist

[ New ]
I have over 20 mounts (not counting the adhesive kind) that I use depending on location. I like RAM mounts mostly as they never seem to fail - clamps, suction cups and screw mounts. I have had issue with a few of the Chinese knockoffs. I also use "Rock Steady" Flight Flix and Rock Steady vibration dampened mounts on radial engined biplanes since they aided greatly in the post production vibration reduction required prior to the 7 & 8. I had a GoPro photo make the Dec 2018 cover of the Aviation Week photo issue with a simple clamp and 1/4" screw mount. I did make a custom mount for the jet in the video as I worried about flutter as well as strength in the mount. I do have a few inexpensive "small rig" clamps that are very versatile, but I kept striping the threads when tightening so I rarely use them. Cameras on planes are very dangerous and I usually add additional safety wire or zip ties.

Maybe my swipe at IT was a little off the target as you are correct in the fact the "company" has to accept the product. Or a more realistic view might be that we customers will buy the product. I programmed for many years in the 90's as a hobbyist and used several of my programs at work. The bottom line is as long as we keep buying the products, then the manufactures will keep claiming success and producing more of the same.

I have purchased and used other cameras. But, I need some simplicity in my projects as I often require a client or passenger to replace or recharge batteries, or operate a remote. This is more complicated when you have several different type cameras. I have a huge investment in GoPro batteries, chargers and mounts, but am always looking at other cameras. Just when a camera seems like a better choice, I always seem to find critical issues on the forums that would not make it worth my while to switch. And, It's a time issue in doing research.
IMG_9292.JPG
Hiker

Re: Filming aerial with GoPro's that may shut off during shoot

[ New ]

I have over 20 mounts (not counting the adhesive kind) that I use depending on location. I like RAM mounts mostly as they never seem to fail - clamps, suction cups and screw mounts

In your pic you showed a Smatree mount or clip -- have you found their aluminum produts to be more secure at high speeds than the typical plastic parts?

I also use "Rock Steady" Flight Flix and Rock Steady vibration dampened mounts on radial engined biplanes since they aided greatly in the post production vibration reduction required prior to the 7 & 8

Thanks for sharing!

If you don't mind sharing more -- I'm fascinated by your mounting on airplanes.  I'd think that they'd have problems with you drilling holes in the body, and I wouldn't trust a suction cup at high speeds and moisture levels.   Do the planes already have designated areas where you can clamp and screw things on?  (I've never had the pleasure of filming a plane exterior)

Sightseer

[ New ]

Correct, so far it has never frozen after turning off wifi. It of course has its disadvantages and I cannot say why this seems to work. My camera does not seem to freeze because of heat reasons since it most of the time would (will) freeze on startup 

Sightseer

[ New ]

I am totally disapointed. I have always had a go pro since the first model. They have always been reliable. I just bought the Hero 7 and took it skiing like I do every year and it foze constantly. If I got it to run it would turn off after one miinute or so of filming. It was not the battery either. Super bummed

GoPro

[ New ]

@haydog, if in case you continue to have the freeze-up issues with the camera after going through the suggested troubleshooting steps here, using different recommended SD cards and manually reinstalling the firmware update, please contact our Support Team so they can assist you on the next steps. 

Sightseer

[ New ]
Mine frozen on second use what disappointment this thing is . Wouldn’t recommend to anyone !!
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @gijonny420,

To make sure that your camera will work without any problem just make sure that you are using a recommended SD card brand and model: https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations

Update your camera manually: https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/How-to-Update-GoPro-Cameras

-Jay

Hiker

[ New ]
After my 2 7s proved unreliable and accordingly, unusable, I purchased a DJI Action to try out. So far flawless operation, clean image, much more responsive touch screen, and most importantly it was reliable on a 3 hour shoot without shutting off by itself! Loved my gopros but unreliability makes the new models no longer effective for us, and management has ignored my offers to help test.

Note: my Sandisk microSD cards (recommended) work flawlessly in my hero 3, 4, 5 and new Action. Same cards in used in my Hero 7(s) before returning them.
Hiker

[ New ]
Yeah... Like that "using the recommended sd card" really helps... <ROLLS eyes=""></ROLLS>
Tourist

[ New ]

Yup, the admins here are incredibly rude and lame.

First, they always claim they don't work for GoPro, which makes it much worse. You're telling me gopro doesn't have any employees to go on the forums and help people with their products? That's super cool!

Then they start blaming you for the bad gopro. They will so, no matter how many times you correct them, that your sd card is bad, and that's the only possible reason that their product is faulty.

Then when you point out their logical falacy, they say "yeah, well DJI is bad too!"

Totally pathetic support from GoPro. I wish I could get the thousands of dollars i've given them over the years back.