Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

So you're saying that you were able to get stable performance after disabling features, including WiFi (which some ppl require to remotely stop and start the device when mounted in obscure locations).. sound accurate?
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

The problem with the 7 is heat and GoPro not designing the camera properly to handle it.  The camera just starts baking. There

was little effort put into designing the camera to drain the heat out and away from the CPU and other circuitry.

So ya, turning things off will cut down the amount of work the CPU has to do and thus lessen the amount of heat being generated.

When things start to overheat it will either crash or lock up.   Stuttering is likely the CPU throttling itself to try and cut down the heat it's producing.   Computers, GPU's and Cellphones all do the same thing.

A workaround is pulling the battery and running off an external power bank which removes one of the sources of heat (Battery)

and the cavity  the battery normally occupies is somewhere for the heat from the rest of the camera  to go.

That solution is only good for people doing vlogs and such though, not for people who attach their Gopro's to surf boards and that sort of thing.

Highlighted
Hiker

@jb075 wrote:

A workaround is pulling the battery and running off an external power bank which removes one of the sources of heat (Battery)

and the cavity  the battery normally occupies is somewhere for the heat from the rest of the camera  to go.

That solution is only good for people doing vlogs and such though, not for people who attach their Gopro's to surf boards and that sort of thing.

Pulling the battery actually *would* be an option for me, as I'm 99% of the time running it directly plugged into A/C, or an external "always on" USB battery pack for use with stage productions.  I always keep the battery in when running in those configs so if for some reason A/C cuts out, the camera will keep going, but in the 5+ years I've been using GoPro's in my setup I haven't yet had such a power outage... so maybe this would be a viable option for me.    Still can't count on the WiFi for remotely starting/stopping though... it's hit or miss, which is a darned PIA when mounted in obscure places above the stage... fortunately I just put in a 128 GB card and let it start recording an hour before house opens ... the 5H record time covers the gap.

I just can't stand work-arounds, and I hear the Hero 8 hasn't adequately addressed the overheating problems :(  I do think I'm going to have to look at DJI's competing product for my next addition.

Highlighted
Hiker

Ya, the firmware is screwy as well.  That's up to GoPro to fix and I doubt they will.

I don't use the Wi-Fi, GPS and other stuff so I can't offer any tips on how to deal with that.

Highlighted
Tourist

I'm not so sure it is a heating problem.   I had two important projects last week where a Gopro 7 and a 8 froze in this manner.  The linked GP7 video is at altitude (20,000' ?) with a metal case that surely keeps the camera cool when the outside air is less than zero. 

BTW, I always have a GoPro freeze during my projects.  It's just the nature of their product.  That's why I use multiple cameras (seven on this airplane).  However, I did have to explain to the customer that the best forward camera to record his landing and the one he was working with the remote froze due to product reliability issues.  Most of the time, it's easy to pull the battery out and reset the camera, (unless you're at 20,000' and 300 MPH).

The Gopro 8 froze while on a motorcycle project after only a short period of running and the outside temperature was about 65 degrees, so I doubt it was heat.   All cameras were using Sandisk V30 UHS 3 Extreme 32 or 64 Gb chips. 

I still have seven Gopros even though the 7 & 8 freeze.  I also have a Rylo 360 (great video, reliable, easy to use), a Mavic Air, a Nikon 360 (horrible product) as well as shooting video with Nikon SLR's and Mirrorless.   All GoPro's prior to the 7 work fine with no freezing.  That's why I keep them and use them to back up the 7 & 8.  The new ones take great video, but are unreliable for that shot you can't miss. 

I don't believe it is GoPro's fault, but actually a systemic issue with all IT and software engineers.  They are like educators, they don't have to produce a completed product or pass a fundamental "does that make sense or work in all cases" test.  It's just the world we live in today.  Get over it and focus on what works for you.

I'd upload more bad video, but I just don't have time to waste and it just fuels my frustration with GoPro.

BAD GP7 Video - https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZuoEYkZAjIjmf2p5U8RLeXnd7KHIQkvRW1V

Highlighted
Hiker

@kurtg2031 Hey.. great addition to the conversation.. thanks for sharing your experience.

I'm curious -- what mounts did you use for the exterior GoPro's on the plane?

There are some users here that will swear that switching away from their SanDisk cards solved their Hero7 problems; I haven't tried this myself, having used all those SanDisk cards without issue in any of my prior model GoPro's.  

AND -- working 16 years as an IT professional with a CS background, and owning my own business now, I can't disagree with you more about it not being the fault of the company who makes (or has made) the devices.  Do individual software engineers probably work on only small pieces of the puzzle that makes the entire camera -- probably.  Do individual units of functionality get tested?  Maybe?  Surely you'd agree that it's the company's responsibility to institute integration and end-user testing sufficient to meet whatever level of quality they deam "good enough for release" though, ya?  With enough of us experiencing these issues, repeatability of the problems seems to be a no-brainer, evident, measureable, documented.   

We can only conclude the company (not the individual developers) intentionally chose to move forward with the release and distribution of flawed products because they had deadlines to meet and shareholders to answer to (revenue needed) -- a "good enough" quality they felt they could handle.  meh..

Q: why do you continue with their product vs. going with a different, potentially more reliable one like the DJI Action? (which I have no experience with -- no attempt to sell here, just understand)

Highlighted
Tourist

One of the first fixes I tried was using the camera without WiFi. It had no impact on the number of freezes I was getting, which was lots.

I've also tried Samsung cards in addition to Sandisk ones, they both fail.

Has anyone tried the newer hero 8 batteries? I wondered if these had any effect?

Highlighted
Tourist

I used 4 Hero7 blacks during a music video and had multiple freezes, WITH NO BATTERY, running on external source, 1080, protune off, wifi was on. Cameras were still mounted. 

Removing the battery didn't stop mine from freezing. Additionally, in the same environment, in another test, some would lockup in 10 minutes, and then they'd go 3 hours and lockup.

@jb075 wrote:

The problem with the 7 is heat and GoPro not designing the camera properly to handle it.  The camera just starts baking. There

was little effort put into designing the camera to drain the heat out and away from the CPU and other circuitry.

So ya, turning things off will cut down the amount of work the CPU has to do and thus lessen the amount of heat being generated.

When things start to overheat it will either crash or lock up.   Stuttering is likely the CPU throttling itself to try and cut down the heat it's producing.   Computers, GPU's and Cellphones all do the same thing.

They are flatout buggy. It is hard to nail down any one specific feature or combination of features.

With fading optimism I keep coming back to these threads in hopes that these cameras will see a firmware update to make them reliable. When 1.8 was released, I was hopeful, but same thing. I have already seen complaints about the Hero8 locking/freezing as well.