Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

[ New ]

I've been following this conversation every since I posted about the same subject many months ago. It's apparent to me that GoPro either doesn't know what to do, or doesn't care to expend the time, effort and money to resolve it once and for all.

Tourist

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

[ New ]

I've been following this conversation every since I posted about the same subject many months ago. It's apparent to me that GoPro either doesn't know what to do, or doesn't care to expend the time, effort and money to resolve it once and for all.

Tourist

[ New ]
I guess the best they can do is give you GoPro 8 off that's better.

There's obviously some people out there who've never had an issue at all. But why of that? Did they change component suppliers or something, there must be a reason.
Hiker

[ New ]
"There is no way support could help me now. I'm desperate."

Perhaps if customer service sent you a replacement camera in the form of a Hero 6, 5, 4 or whatever model had reliable architecture.. would that help? I don't work for GoPro, do not have faith that their support team can or will resolve these freezing and "stops recording by itself" issues, nor any reason to believe they care about their clients/product enough to resolve issue in their future products. I've given up hope on the company personally since their responses, when existent, have been fairly horid.
Hiker

[ New ]
Quite possibly a component or issue with tolerances between the layers on printed circuit boards. In cases like this the 80/20 rule applies where 80% of the cameras work fine and the other 20% have issues that trip up the software
Hiker

[ New ]
I meant to add, hopefully Gopro are analysing returns for these kinds of defects
Hiker

[ New ]

It's because many honest people who make videos on Youtube have pretty much given up talking about it and just put up with the issues and edit any bad footage out of their videos.

There's also a lot of Youtuber's who's livelyhood on youtube was built around the Gopro brand and are just too scared to dare speak out.  The freebies they get as well.

Then of course the usual idiots who have an infactuation with shilling for corporation.   It's very common in the gaming industry.

Companies like Electronic arts recruit them to moderate their forums and throw them the occassional freebies.

EA recruited all their forum moderators from Reddic and lavish Youtubers who make videos about their games with paid trips

to Las Vegas, Gemany and Sweden.  That's sweet sponsorship deals on videos.

The freezing and lag issues is a hardware issue.  They crammed so much stuff into the latest cameras without bothering to address

the resulting heat issues which is causing the CPU to crash (Freezing) or the CPU throttling itself to save from crashing (Lag).

No amount of Firmware updates is going to fix something like that.   The cameras are just poorly designed.

Gopro won't publicly address the issue because that would require a complete and total recall of the product.

Tourist

[ New ]

This is extremely disapointing. My friends now make fun of me when we go out "why are you bringing that gopro, you know it's not going to work!"

and you know what, they are right. 

Here I go, sending it again for the third time!

I find it hilarious that every single gopro before the 7 records the internal temperature of the device into the metadata of the video files. This helps diagnose heat related issues. Funny enough, they removed the temperature data logging from the hero 7 black. GEE I WONDER WHY THEY DID THAT?! Could it be because these cameras overheat?

Explorer

[ New ]
@jb075
I'm in the wrong forum! I wish GoPro would hook me up like that! Is there Earth flat too?
Hiker

[ New ]

Whatever, 10,000+ posts saying that same crap over and over again.

It's just sad and pathetic.

Sightseer

[ New ]

It is so frustrating to read all this. I'm in exactly the same boat, going to the third camera and no hope of solving it.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @swiftpeak81126

If you haven't yet, please go over the steps on this article.

Should it still be the same, please contact our Support Team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

Ej

Sightseer

[ New ]
hello, I have the same problem. the gopro 7 black keeps fresing up every 10min. i resented the cam, updated reupdated and used different formatted cards. no changes. link to the article doesn't work.. please gopro, I can't work like this and it seems to be a huge problem for many customers by now... help now, please!
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @sweettree732

If you have gone through the suggested steps and it's still the same, please reach out to our Support Team to move forward with this concern.

Let them know of the troubleshooting steps taken.

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]
Best of luck. When you reach out to support they will tell you to try different memory cards. After asking you to manually reinstall the identical latest firmware which you told them you already did. And you will do it again anyway because they tell you to. And then after the problem keeps happening MAYBE they will ship you a new camera, although if it is put of warranty probably not. You will hope the new camera fixes the problem. Maybe it will! But for many of us, it fixes nothing and the problem persists

I do hope your support journey is better than what I am describing! Please do post back to keep us informed on how your support experience goes! 🙂

Hiker

[ New ]
I've submitted 3 tickets via the gopro support form offering to test the Hero 8.. FREE TESTING.. if they send me a unit, even under NDA terms. I want to be able to sing praises of the company and cameras as unused to do, but which I no longer am able due to such horrid experiences with the Hero 7.

Alas, I haven't gotten one reply. None. Zero.

I'm still waiting. I still want to help.

Hey GoPro support forum person.. can you please have someone private message me?
Hiker

[ New ]
I'm not going anywhere near the 8, lost complete confidence in the company and the product
Tourist

[ New ]

Well, I am a glutton for punishment. I have 2 units that I already know were problematic and I went and purchased 2 more (total of 4 now) Hero7 Blacks. I did this going in knowing that they are not perfect, but I do like the features on the camera and the availability of lots of different accessories for them. BUT, I started pushing the cameras trying to get the most out of them and they ALL fail. The test subjects are:

CAMERAS 1 & 2 that were replacements for defective units purchased new at BestBuy

CAMERAS 3 & 4 purchased new at BestBuy and came factory loaded with 1.7  

I updated the firmware on all cameras to 1.8 using the SD card, not the ipad. 

Settings: Resolution/FPS 4K/30. Stabilization ON. ProTune ON. Power Cable Connected. Battery Installed.

Test 1

Cam 3 froze with 2H:32 ALL other cams turned themselves OFF after filling the SD card. That shouldn't happen, they should stay on.

Test 2

100% Success - All disks full, All cams remained ON

Test 3

Cam 1 froze with 3H:58 remaining and turned off, Cam 2 froze with 3H:42 remaining and turned off

Test 4

ALL cams filled SD card - Cams 1-3 turned off, this shouldn't happen, they should remain on. 

Test 5

100% Success - All Disks full, All cams remained ON

Test 6

ALL cams shut down 10 minutes after ipad connection - I also started the cams from the iPad. Prior tests started from cameras.

Test 7

ALL cams filled SD cards. Cam 1&2 remained ON Cam 3&4 turned off. Camera 2 Wireless INOP, Unable to connect

Test 8

Cams 3&4 shutdown 3H:38 remaining and 3H:?? remaining. 

So, in conclusion, GoPro still has a problem with their Hero7 Black cameras. I still like them, but for the $400, they should do what they advertise. Take a look GoPro. Don't brush it under the rug. 

GoProHero7_cams1thru4.jpg
Explorer

[ New ]
Just curious, but why are you doing extended recording in 4K with external power and the battery in the camera. In case you are unaware, it is recommended to have the battery OUT when using external power.
Hiker

[ New ]

Today was my daughter's first day in kindergarten. I grabbed my Gopro to make some shots but the battery was drained and the camera was dead. Smiley Mad I'm so angry!!!

Tourist

[ New ]

Because if you need to move the camera while you are working, it's a problem to power down the camera and power up after plugging in again. I'm one of the people that started pulling the battery out, STILL DOESN'T SOLVE THE PROBLEMS. To start saying things like don't do this and don't do that is making excuses and letting GoPro off the hook. Turn of stabilization, turn off ProTune, WHY SELL IT?  It should work, with the battery in, period. It is poor engineering. They shouldn't advertise these great features if the camera freezes. 

Adventurer

[ New ]

Does the Hero 7 Black you own work 100% on factory reset as is, simply not setting up anything at all but agreeing to the Terms?

Does it work without an Issue?

Hiker

[ New ]
Agreed. I run 100% of my Sony, Canon and GoPro cameras with battery in, and ac power when possible. Long runtime and backup power (battery) if ac fails (digital cards would otherwise lose their recording if power cut out).

Works reliably this way on all my cams, including hero 3 black, 4 silver and 5 black.
Hiker

[ New ]
Why did u buy 2 more 7's and not two 8's?
Tourist

[ New ]
The hero 8 black is not any better. Mine is still crashing and freeZing all the time. Don't bother responding to the paid shills, they are here just to do damage control and do not have any interest in helping you.

I had five hero 7 back cameras total, some sent in and replaced by GoPro, and one purchased new. All had the same problems. The hero 8 black uses the same image processor and while they did upgrade the cooling a little, it still overheats and dies. Everyone who doesn't get paid by gorpro all days the Same thing.
Tourist

[ New ]

Hello

Just to confirm, you are saying that you have the new Gopro 8 and it freezes like Gopro 7? I've a Gopro 4 that freezes and I was expecting that Gopro 8 was finally working ok.

Regards

Tourist

[ New ]
Yes. My hero 8 black can't record more than 20 minutes without overheating and shutting down and ruining the footage.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @mastershake,

Sorry to know that. 

May I know the SD card brand and model you're using?

Please make sure you're using a recommended SD card: https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations

Regards,

-Jay 

Tourist

[ New ]
Jesus Christ here we go again . ITS NOT MY SD CARDS. Stop trying to do damage control. Just stop. I have several cards from your approved list, the cards have never once been the problem. same problems on every card on the hero 7 black too.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @mastershake,

Overheating normally happens if you're using a not recommended SD card. 

You may contact GoPro Customer Support so that they can check that for you. 

https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

-Jay

Adventurer

[ New ]

I love to   hold on to your camera.  are you willing to send it over.   

I have been with 4 hero 7's  yes the first one over heated, the timewarp , wireless connection and power  dc  gave. the second usb recognition gave was firmware curruption, 3rd one  Audio imput gave, wanna bet  this 4th one gives? and when

I'll shoot for August 2020.  do i get paid yes big time   by gopro sure.  and you  come here spreading rumors that the gopro  fails.  works both ways right,  lets find a resolution.  simply post each time you got an issue with a video. and document it here.  waiting.........

Z......................................................................

Tourist

[ New ]
That is a lie! They overheat because they are not designed well and have bad heat dissipation.

It doesn't matter what SD card you use, it doesn't matter how many times you send it to gopro, they will send you another one that had the same problems. I have several SD cards from the approved list, including two cards GoPro actually sent me with the cameras, that all have the same problemz, and they always have! I keep. Uying new ad cards because you asking shills keep trying to blame it on the SD cards despite the fact that thousands of people come on here and elsewhere to point out overheating issues and you always just deflect and blame the SD card. Stop, please just don't reply if you're not going to help.
Adventurer

[ New ]

My last Trade up purchase I thought gopro would send the top of the Line Sandisk was  I wrong wait.  I have other cards, can you guess which cards work or do not work..   

sd.png

Do you at least take the card and do a format like so

format.png

And  I have a Samsung Gear 360 2017 Man let me tell you,  i went five times to the store to finally get a working one, why. the SDXC card had to be spacific, it only liked One card out on the market. and when that card  was placed in Man  everything worked perfectly till I got into the car.

And yes  I work my issues out and figure them out,  again be more then happy to help....

Tourist

[ New ]

@mastershake  escreveu:
Yes. My hero 8 black can't record more than 20 minutes without overheating and shutting down and ruining the footage.

Really bad, I was hopping that version 8 was finally working properly. So many nice features and still freezing. I'm out I will dig for DJI Osmo Action.

Good luck and thanks

Adventurer

[ New ]
DJI Osmo Action FW 1.6.00.20 low battery shutdown if you can reload and flash firmware not sure that will fix it.
re did the test, same results but reconnects.
New Firmware introduced and left out the instructions of how Hyperwarp works, DJI said that the program takes care of the shakes andstartle of the start /sto...
Tourist

[ New ]

Jesus, it wiill be an hard choice

Thanks

Adventurer

[ New ]

go find a Perfect camera and come back let us all know we'll join you otherwise you deal with each little issue  the company throws at you. what else is new!

Explorer

[ New ]
SD cards most certainly affect performance, including heating issues. My HERO8 Black has given me absolutely zero issues and I've been using it on a daily basis in many different environments, resolutions, and frame rates. I've done continuous recording at 4K/60fps in the middle of the day stopping only when the battery died. I'm using a Lexar 677X v30 64GB card and manually update the camera. If you have an issue that is not resolved with a different card, then exchange the camera or just send it back. My HERO8 has been so responsive and reliable I'm finding it very hard to believe that you even own one. I'm not saying you don't, if you say you do then I guess you do, but considering all of your other rants and my experience, I do have my doubts.

And spare me the yadda yadda, GoPro employee, shill, fanboy BS. Sorry to hear that you have issues, although, why, with all of your vitriol about GoPro's other cameras, you continue to purchase them, is very strange and suspicious. Seems you might be here talking trash whether or not you actually have ever owned a GoPro.
Hiker

[ New ]
@danielr15 why d u feel the need to discredit someone else's experience?

If you search back. You will see countless numbers of posts from people, including mine, with documented experiences of freezing cameras and abrupt stopping of recordings.

These are from seasoned users like me, who have been long time loyal gopro fans, who unfortunately have had some awful experiences with the Hero 7 (and now presumably with the 8)

I personally have not tried the 8 yet but based on posts here may not go down that path. After a few failed 7s and non-responsiveness from the company when I've offered to help test the 8, it seems almost futile.

That is FANTASTIC you are having good experiences with your Hero 8. Were you having bad experiences with the 7 that, in contrast the 8 seems to have addressed?
Tourist

[ New ]
@daniels job is to sit on here for eight hours a day and blame your ad card for all problems that the GoPro has. These dumbasses want us to believe they don't get paid to work for GoPro but they just spend eight hours a day doing damage control for the billion dollar GoPro corporation out of the goodness of their hearts. The shills obviously have zero problems every with their perfect gopros, and the thousands of people that are complaining of overheating and freezing are all wrong and we all have bad SD cards. Just ignore them to be honest, they don't provide any helpful information. Avoid the hero like it's the plague. I can't believe I bought an eight after all the bad hero 7s. Such a fail on my part.
Hiker

[ New ]

@jayr3438 wrote:

Hi @mastershake,

Sorry to know that. 

May I know the SD card brand and model you're using?

Please make sure you're using a recommended SD card: https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations

Regards,

-Jay 

Oh here it comes..  Blaming the SD cards yet again.

Adventurer

[ New ]

Like the Song from The Who. Who are you.  Love it.  You have an issue, can not work it out, then a GoPro is not for you. Move along.  Got Burnt with a gopro. exactly what we hear. negativity from some, then they fade, then return some, then fade till you   find a better place to repeat the crap all over again.  That Old saying, sorry you are not old, or know any old sayings .. google it:

Complainers always complain.

Back on topic Fish, I will come and go on this topic, just to stir your pot make sure  i ask some questions, give my Peace of Mind, and try to help out,  if I got an issue i try my best to resolve it, if I share another camera or story, it's to show you that I been there and done that.  

Old and new work hand in hand in here, but Old and new does not with A GoPro. most common issue a user can have. Not Understanding.

Nuff Said

Fish

Explorer

[ New ]
@robr7021
When HERO7 Black was showing a red line down the center of videos shot in certain resolutions/frame rates and Protune settings, I wrote about it and sent my feedback to GoPro. When batteries were discharging over night, I wrote about it and sent feedback to GoPro. When EIS was being too heavily applied in low light and causing the appearance of distortion, I wrote about it and sent feedback to GoPro. When I was getting freezing from the HERO7, I wrote about it and sent feedback to GoPro. When I identified one particular SanDisk Extreme v30 card (one of five exact same cards) that was consistently causing the freezer, I shared it here. I also sent feedback requesting the option to choose the amount of Stabilization (off, standard, Hypersmooth, and High), and Audi wrote about it here. I sent feedback to GoPro about issues with removable protective lens fogging up, and wrote about it here. I've contacted GoPro Support several times on behalf of other members when they couldn't get through (as a GoPro Plus member in the USA it's easier for me). I sent feedback about SD error messages and overheating with another Sabah Extreme v30 card (not the same as the one causing freezing) and wrote about it here (currently I have three of five SanDisk that work consistent without issues). I wrote about my positive experience using Samsung Select cards and no issues. I sent feedback, and wrote about her, the request for GoPro to create custome settings for different shooting situations as well.

Does HEEO8 address all of these issues for me? Yes. I've only been using Lexar 677X v30 cards (just ordered another last night), so I don't know about the SanDisk issues, but everything else, 100%. The HERO8 has been extremely reliable and I love the new features and menu. Stabilization is crazy good and the image is sightly better than HERO7 (much better in contrasty situations). I haven't had any issues, so I think it's valuable to share this contrasting experience to those who post negative experiences.

I know for a fact that SD cards DO matter. So I share my experience with that as well.

When responding to a comment from someone who has a long history of attacking me (not just the experience I share with my camera, but me personally), then yes, I might not approach it in the best manner. However, I have no vested interest in GoPro other than my ownership and use of their cameras. I don't own such m stock, I'm not an employee, I don't get free cameras, and I'm certainly not a "Shill". I surf, rock climb, ATV, mountain bike, skateboard, practice Judo, and capture amazing moments in my kid's lives. I've captured everything from the birth of my kids to their first time surfing or skating a half pipe. I want others to be able to have the same great experience I've had, and I'm truly saddened when I hear a precious moment was lost. I work nights and I'm sure m afforded the opportunity to check my email and visit this site periodically throughout the night. No, I don't just sit staring at the forums, but I probably do check two or three times (mostly in response to the emails I get).

Hope that answers your questions.
Hiker

[ New ]

So a trade-in program would be nice. Take my H7, send me a H8 for half the price and I would consider it.

Adventurer

[ New ]

Adventurer

[ New ]

while my camera should freeze   . i wonder why its not can someone help me PLEASE!!!!

Help me my 4K@60 with the Ultra is Recoding what do i do?  Help me PLEASE!!!!!

Adventurer

[ New ]

So we are not to use an Ultra card it over heats. well good luck on that one video above Lol.. Any comment on that  huh  Oh I forgot you are typers.......

Adventurer

[ New ]

Oh where can I buy a defective camera I want all the issues they are the best features!!  Please Help me find a Resolution PLEASE!

Tourist

[ New ]

Are you having a stroke? Yes, using slow or bad SD cards can cause problems. Also, the camera itself has major problems regardless of the SD card. I have the lexar, sandisk extreme, samsung evo and I've tried many others. The problems are with the camera itself. Doesn't matter how many times you send it in to them, try new cards, manual updates or whatever. 

Tourist

[ New ]

You didn't even show the video from the camera to show that it's working, so it's obious you don't even argue in good faith. Half the time when the camera overheats and fails, it doesn't shutdown it just corrupts and ruins the footage. 

BY THE WAY this just happened last weekend to me on the hero 8 black too. 

Here are some examples I found the problem I am experiencing. 

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POh4kdFKMI8
  2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFUChfdxx6o
  3. https://www.youtube.com/watchv=wzonwmNapUQ
  4. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9vEPSYZoz8
  5. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCAmKFC-g00
  6. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm8euPEv2PI
  7. https://youtu.be/hqK8C2p4ZBQ
  8. https://youtu.be/ThEThR8R5p8
Camera : GoPro 7 BlackSettings : 4k30 Superview Hypersmooth.Bike : 2018 KTM 300 TPILocation : Mamelodi, Gauteng (South Africa)Had my first experience where t...
Camera mounted chestie Upside down (orientation lock DOWN)4k 30fps superwide hypersmoothProtune: OffAuto White Balance: OffSamsung EVO Select 128GB MB-ME128G...
Received my warranty replacement and took it out to test for the stuttering, 3rd clip of 8 had the issue just as my other camera did. Shot in 4K, 30FPS, Hype...
Not sure what's going on here. It's either the Hypersmooth or the SDCard, but whatever it is, I hate losing footage. 8^(
7:10 just before the problem.
Camera on a helmet mount (right side up)4k 30fps Auto Low Light: Offhypersmooth: OnOrientation lock: Up