Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

I'm not going anywhere near the 8, lost complete confidence in the company and the product
Tourist

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

[ Edited ]

Well, I am a glutton for punishment. I have 2 units that I already know were problematic and I went and purchased 2 more (total of 4 now) Hero7 Blacks. I did this going in knowing that they are not perfect, but I do like the features on the camera and the availability of lots of different accessories for them. BUT, I started pushing the cameras trying to get the most out of them and they ALL fail. The test subjects are:

CAMERAS 1 & 2 that were replacements for defective units purchased new at BestBuy

CAMERAS 3 & 4 purchased new at BestBuy and came factory loaded with 1.7  

I updated the firmware on all cameras to 1.8 using the SD card, not the ipad. 

Settings: Resolution/FPS 4K/30. Stabilization ON. ProTune ON. Power Cable Connected. Battery Installed.

Test 1

Cam 3 froze with 2H:32 ALL other cams turned themselves OFF after filling the SD card. That shouldn't happen, they should stay on.

Test 2

100% Success - All disks full, All cams remained ON

Test 3

Cam 1 froze with 3H:58 remaining and turned off, Cam 2 froze with 3H:42 remaining and turned off

Test 4

ALL cams filled SD card - Cams 1-3 turned off, this shouldn't happen, they should remain on. 

Test 5

100% Success - All Disks full, All cams remained ON

Test 6

ALL cams shut down 10 minutes after ipad connection - I also started the cams from the iPad. Prior tests started from cameras.

Test 7

ALL cams filled SD cards. Cam 1&2 remained ON Cam 3&4 turned off. Camera 2 Wireless INOP, Unable to connect

Test 8

Cams 3&4 shutdown 3H:38 remaining and 3H:?? remaining. 

So, in conclusion, GoPro still has a problem with their Hero7 Black cameras. I still like them, but for the $400, they should do what they advertise. Take a look GoPro. Don't brush it under the rug. 

GoProHero7_cams1thru4.jpg
Explorer

Just curious, but why are you doing extended recording in 4K with external power and the battery in the camera. In case you are unaware, it is recommended to have the battery OUT when using external power.
Highlighted
Hiker

Today was my daughter's first day in kindergarten. I grabbed my Gopro to make some shots but the battery was drained and the camera was dead. Smiley Mad I'm so angry!!!

Tourist

Because if you need to move the camera while you are working, it's a problem to power down the camera and power up after plugging in again. I'm one of the people that started pulling the battery out, STILL DOESN'T SOLVE THE PROBLEMS. To start saying things like don't do this and don't do that is making excuses and letting GoPro off the hook. Turn of stabilization, turn off ProTune, WHY SELL IT?  It should work, with the battery in, period. It is poor engineering. They shouldn't advertise these great features if the camera freezes. 

Adventurer

Does the Hero 7 Black you own work 100% on factory reset as is, simply not setting up anything at all but agreeing to the Terms?

Does it work without an Issue?

Hiker

Agreed. I run 100% of my Sony, Canon and GoPro cameras with battery in, and ac power when possible. Long runtime and backup power (battery) if ac fails (digital cards would otherwise lose their recording if power cut out).

Works reliably this way on all my cams, including hero 3 black, 4 silver and 5 black.
Hiker

Why did u buy 2 more 7's and not two 8's?