Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Reply
Highlighted
Tourist
Posts: 18

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

[ Edited ]

I've been following this conversation every since I posted about the same subject many months ago. It's apparent to me that GoPro either doesn't know what to do, or doesn't care to expend the time, effort and money to resolve it once and for all.

Highlighted
Tourist
Posts: 18

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

[ Edited ]

I've been following this conversation every since I posted about the same subject many months ago. It's apparent to me that GoPro either doesn't know what to do, or doesn't care to expend the time, effort and money to resolve it once and for all.

Highlighted
Tourist
Posts: 9

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

I guess the best they can do is give you GoPro 8 off that's better.

There's obviously some people out there who've never had an issue at all. But why of that? Did they change component suppliers or something, there must be a reason.
Highlighted
Hiker
Posts: 56

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

"There is no way support could help me now. I'm desperate."

Perhaps if customer service sent you a replacement camera in the form of a Hero 6, 5, 4 or whatever model had reliable architecture.. would that help? I don't work for GoPro, do not have faith that their support team can or will resolve these freezing and "stops recording by itself" issues, nor any reason to believe they care about their clients/product enough to resolve issue in their future products. I've given up hope on the company personally since their responses, when existent, have been fairly horid.
Highlighted
Hiker
Posts: 28

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

Quite possibly a component or issue with tolerances between the layers on printed circuit boards. In cases like this the 80/20 rule applies where 80% of the cameras work fine and the other 20% have issues that trip up the software
Highlighted
Hiker
Posts: 28

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

I meant to add, hopefully Gopro are analysing returns for these kinds of defects
Highlighted
Hiker
Posts: 47

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

It's because many honest people who make videos on Youtube have pretty much given up talking about it and just put up with the issues and edit any bad footage out of their videos.

 

There's also a lot of Youtuber's who's livelyhood on youtube was built around the Gopro brand and are just too scared to dare speak out.  The freebies they get as well.

 

Then of course the usual idiots who have an infactuation with shilling for corporation.   It's very common in the gaming industry.

Companies like Electronic arts recruit them to moderate their forums and throw them the occassional freebies.

EA recruited all their forum moderators from Reddic and lavish Youtubers who make videos about their games with paid trips

to Las Vegas, Gemany and Sweden.  That's sweet sponsorship deals on videos.

 

The freezing and lag issues is a hardware issue.  They crammed so much stuff into the latest cameras without bothering to address

the resulting heat issues which is causing the CPU to crash (Freezing) or the CPU throttling itself to save from crashing (Lag).

 

No amount of Firmware updates is going to fix something like that.   The cameras are just poorly designed.

 

 

Gopro won't publicly address the issue because that would require a complete and total recall of the product.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Highlighted
Tourist
Posts: 52

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

[ Edited ]

This is extremely disapointing. My friends now make fun of me when we go out "why are you bringing that gopro, you know it's not going to work!"

 

and you know what, they are right. 

 

Here I go, sending it again for the third time!

 

I find it hilarious that every single gopro before the 7 records the internal temperature of the device into the metadata of the video files. This helps diagnose heat related issues. Funny enough, they removed the temperature data logging from the hero 7 black. GEE I WONDER WHY THEY DID THAT?! Could it be because these cameras overheat?