Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

Applied update 1.80

Been our today with my hero 7 black and had no crashes or freezing issues.

Let's see how it goes.

I updated manually from SD card.

I hope others have some joy also
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

what worked for me is attaching it to a PC and doing the update. that works better. Also try the new firmware update
Highlighted
Hiker

Two days I tried this 1.8 version.... It's worst for me.
I updated 2 times manually, reset completely the camera and do as usually all the points recommended. Still freezing, and in my opinion more than the 1.7 version.

I downgrade the GoPro again to 1.7, I had less freezing with it.

My feeling is that GoPro just can't solve the problem because it's a inside component problem. By trying to save money... You arrive at the limit a day.... You can't do a Ferrari with a Fiat motor....

I will do my trip with the GoPro (no choice) and sell it after. GoPro fall down very very low, it's sad. A such nice product...
Highlighted
Hiker

This is very sad to read, too many features shoe horned onto the platform
Highlighted
Tourist

Not good news.

I can confirm that after manually updating to firmware 1.8 and reformatting the memory card I am still having all the issues I had previously. I had done 6 rides so far and 3 of them have caused problems.

1. - Freezing - 2 videos already on the memory card, both at the same orientation as the recording (up). The camera started recording OK, but when I finished my ride I realised it had frozen at around 40 seconds. Needed to hold the power button to reset it. The file was corrupted and the camera deleted it.

2. Freezing again - turned on but screen remained black. Camera did not respond to holding power button. Just before I was about to remove the battery it turned off, then on again and then started recording. Froze on the black screen for around 2 minites. Not a particuarlyl serios freeze compared to the others

3. - Not switching off. Re-formatted SD card again, so all clean. Recording was fine, turned camera off, then an hour later went to use the camera. It was hot and had drained the battery while off. Same problem I used to have.

The freezing issues showed while I had everything execpt quick record turned off (no wifi, no voice command, no gps, no low light, etc. Orientation set to up). For the draining issue I had even turned quick record off (I gave up on quick record after 2 freezing issues)

In summary - no different to firmware 1.7

Highlighted
Hiker

It's even worse. I had four lockups a day and with the Hero 7 sitting on my nighttable I could see how screen went on for a second in the middle of the night. I'm back to 1.70 and I'm gonna keep it with that version. It's unlikely there will be another update in the future after almost a year the cam is on the market. If they haven't found the problem by now they never will.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @swiftvista1044 bompelbob

Let our Support Team check on this further.
Please reach out to them by phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Also, please let them know of the troubleshooting steps taken.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Hiker

Hi @aragon1006,

I already tried everything: got a replacement camera, bought more sd cards, batteries, charger - every component is replaced by now and the problem still occurs. I updated via app and sd card, did a factory reset, tried multiple combinations of settings. To no avail. There is no way support could help me now. I'm desperate.