Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

To download the update it's asking me to register my camera which I have already done and I'm logged into the site.

You really are a bunch of clowns.

I think the best thing to happen now is for GoPro to go out of business and the assets snapped up by people who

are serious about selling products that aren't defective.

Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

"The firmware release specifically states that it addresses the freezing issue"

It only addresses ONE of the freezing issues.   Not the main one where the camera locks up for no apparent reason

and needs the battery to be pulled.

It also doesn't address the issues with the major battery drain that occurs while the camera is off.

My camera was charged 100% yesterday and I just turned it on to apply the update and the battery was at 89%

and then dropped to 69% after less then 5 minutes of it just sitting there with the screen off and doing nothing.

I had to spend an additional $50 on a Power bank to avoid that problem, adding additional weight and bulk

to my handheld gear. 

As for the claim that GoPro has never suggested disabling functions of the camera as a workaround to the freezing

that's not true.  People with "Admin" position on this forum have suggested doing that several times.

If they admins of this forum are doing that, that is pretty much official endorsment of that solution.

Highlighted
Hiker

I'll drink to that 👍
Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @jb075

Regarding the battery drain, other users also suggest that after charging your camera fully, you need to remove then reinsert the battery.

Let us know if this helps.

Thanks!
Ej

Highlighted
Hiker

@aragon1006 wrote:

Regarding the battery drain, other users also suggest that after charging your camera fully, you need to remove then reinsert the battery.

Thanks for sharing that tip -- I hope it does help him out :)

Do you think that is intended and normal behavior for a device -- to have to remove the battery and put it back in after charging?  Or a firmware or hardware issue which should be fixed?

Highlighted
Hiker

At this point the instructions for workarounds is going to be larger then the actual manual for the camera.

Maybe it's time to reacces the qualifications of the people writing the firmware?

Highlighted
Tourist

Hello,
I made a series of video yesterday without problem, with the software version 1.8 I still disabled the wifi to reduce battery consumption. I will keep you updated yesterday no problems but I can not guarantee that everything is resolved. There is already better.
In french for user frenchy ;)
Bonjour,
J'ai fais une série de vidéo hier sans problème, avec la version logiciel 1.8 j'avais tout de même désactivé le wifi pour diminuer la consommation de batterie. Je vous tiendrais au courant hier aucun problèmes mais je ne peux pas garantir que tout est résolu. Il y a déja du mieux.
Highlighted
Tourist

It's not that confusing? If you want to use your gopro without it crashing and ruining the footage of your important event, you must simply do the following:

1. Don't use any features of the gopro, turn off wifi, gps, low light, hypersmooth, and every single other feature.

2. Charge the battery, then take it out, blow on it, say a prayer and put it back in like a nintendo cartridge.

3. Format the SD card after each video. You will need to bring your laptop with you everywhere you go and backup and reformat the sd card every ten minutes while you shoot.

4. Format the sd card again, copy the firmware file to the micro sd, manually update to the latest firmware and then shove the camera up your bum.

5. Spin around three times, swing your chicken around in a cerimonious dance.

6. Learn to play the guitar as well as Roger Waters, start a band that becomes the biggest band on earth, make a billion dollars

7. Use that billion dollars to hire an engineer who knows how to put a heatsync on chips that get hot, fix the gopro

8. Use your new gopro that works perfectly until the hero 8 comes out, buy that and start back at step 1