Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes or stops recording by itself

Great to see they released a firmware update -- means progress and not complete abandonment at this time.

Sadly, no acknowledgement or a bug which causes it to freeze, overheat or arbitrarily stop recording without warning.  

Unless that's lopped into "general bug fixes", which leaves all of us users only to wonder, hope, guess that maybe if we tried purchasing it again,  *maybe* it would work reliably?

If anyone who has had these problems can post about their experience after applying this firmware update, I'm sure the rest of us would LOVE to hear your results.  I'd do it but did not keep the two Hero 7 Black's which were unreliable.

Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

Mentioning it would be to open the doors of liability, they fear that more than not genuinely meeting or exceeding their customers expectations.

As someone else mentioned, turning off features to allow a camera to perform its basic function with an expected reliability is an insult to the customer.

Let's us all remember gopro's behaviour when the 8 is released and reviewed.
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

The firmware release specifically states that it addresses the freezing issue.  GoPro has never stated (as a company) that users should disable any options.  Users have posted these suggestions as possible solutions.  At best, the GoPro moderators have referenced other members suggestions as solutions.

As far as, "remember gopro's behaviour when the 8 is released", sure DJI, sure.  A quick look through their forums and it looks like they've got their hands full with freezing/unresponsive/over heating, so I'm sure they will be very happy if you naysay the the new GoPro camera release. If you don't want the latest and greatest, by all means, don't.

I get it that some people have had issues.  I know it's hard to believe, but most do not or do not find minor issues to detract from their enjoyment of the camera.  However, the biggest load of BS comes not from GoPro but all the members who propagate their misinformation with statements like, "GoPro doesn't care", "GoPro is too concerned with their new cameras", "It isn't a firmware issue, it's hardware", "GoPro isn't going to address these issues", ... Blah blah blah.  so many electrical, mechanical, optical, and computer engineers who know so much more than GoPro and the "easy" "simple" fixes that could be done.  If anything, that is what I'm going to remember.  The many know-nothing, big opinion blowhards pitching nonsense as truth.

I await your blistering responses Woman Very Happy

Highlighted
Tourist

HERO7 Black update v1.80 | August 14, 2019
HERO7 Black v1.80

USABILITY IMPROVEMENTS

Resolves fast forward/rewind problems when using the Media Gallery slider.

Corrects freezing issues during software updates and when rotating the camera after recording with certain settings.

General bug fixes.

Will give it go later and report back
Highlighted
Hiker

@danielr15 Not quite regarding their release notes -- they state they corrected freezing when applying a firmware update or rotating the camera in certain situations.    From what I've read, people have been experiencing freezing on way more occasions than a rotation.

I'm not sure why you're looking to play the "blame the victims" game.  Many of us (myself included) have been loyal GoPro fans for a long time.  We've purchased and used their products in our production setups and praised them to all our peers (I have).  The Hero 7 Black simply didn't work like the older ones did (for me).  Two cameras.  Different memory cards, both working in the prior-model GoPros I own.  But they couldn't reliably record without stopping part-way through.

And why you'd take issue with people sharing perceptions of non-responsiveness based on their experiences is beyond me.  

We've had legitimate issues.  The company's response has been less-than-stellar to the point of feeling negligent.  And so it goes.. most of us don't give a rat's ass whether it's hardware of firmware -- we simply want a reliable device that we can count on to perform basic functions, and a company who lets its clients know they are important.  Seems reasonable, yes?

Highlighted
Explorer

My comment wasn't directed at, "people sharing perceptions of non-responsiveness based on their experiences", it was toward, "The many know-nothing, big opinion blowhards pitching nonsense as truth". If it felt directed at you particularly,then that's a you issue.
Highlighted
Hiker

Who gives a rats ass about dji performance, not here to talk about dji. Here to register dissatisfaction at the lack of real world solutions from Gopro, freeze issue has affected me directly and its a pita when you get to the camera and find it hasn't performed its basic function.

Anyway I'll update it and turnback on the features I had to turn off to make it work.
Highlighted
Explorer

@neilbrown 

Counterfeit cards come in different forms.  Most are just a “reprogrammed” controller on the card to make the computer or device think that it has a larger capacity than it realty does.  These are difficult to detect, but you can usually identify them by manipulations or errors on the card's packaging.  Other times it is a counterfeit card through and through.  Samsung cards are generally easier to identify from fakes as they use a white card instead of the standard (and cheaper) black base color cards. If you look at the edges of a Samsung card and notice it has a black boarder, then it's a fake.  SanDisk are not so easy.

The biggest issue with SanDisk is that they have a tendency to release crappy batches of cards.  It's not that they are fake, they are just inferior cards.  This happened when the HERO5 came out.  SanDisk released a bad batch of SanDisk Extreme cards and the HERO5 cameras where acting up with them.  For those that contacted SanDisk, the issue was acknowledged and new cards sent out in exchange.  When the HERO6 came out, SanDisk released the v30 version of the Extreme model of cards.  These worked great, however, the next year the problem cards started popping up again.  I have five sanDisk Extreme v30 64GB cards.  Four of them work great.  One, on the other hand, consistently causes freezing issues.  All five cards are authentic.

I don't know the exact mechanism that causes the freezing issue, or the battery issues that some people report, but it is true that many have stated that switching their card and running a manual update fixed their issue.  Additionally, it has been reported several times that turning off auto low light and/or setting the orientation to UP helps.  It's possible that the counterfeit cards, or poorly manufactured cards, cause some sort of memory bottleneck for the camera and changing these settings frees up some of the needed memory.  It's interesting that GoPro mentions freezing while updating, as this very likely would be a SD card issue, and it's not something widely reported.

For the HERO3 and HERO5 an update was released by GoPro specifically to address the SanDisk issues.  Perhaps this update is similar in nature.  Since GoPro and SanDisk have had a long history together (including one of SanDisk board members also sitting on the board at GoPro), they tend to avoid pointing the finger at SanDisk for their issues.