Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

And I just checked a second video file, the camera without any input from me stopped recording at 6:41 seconds, I recall after this event the camera would not respond to button presses and I had to warm restart it.

Gopro support are you any closer to solving the fundamental issues with this device? If not why not.
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

I honestly believe now that GoPro should be castigated publicly for this, YouTube influencers and such on social media get products that have been control checked to the utmost, they spout the party line and no-one thinks the camera can do wrong, as for mere mortals GoPro couldn't give a toss, you've paid your money so they have no interest in you, they will only learn a lesson by folk refusing to buy their junk.
Highlighted
Explorer

The band-aid indicates an issue with your SD card. As does the getting stuck when recording. Using a different card from the recommended list and installing the manual update is something you should do next. A factory reset may also help. Always format the SD card in the camera before don't any extended recording and offload your media when you are done. Do not store media in the card between shooting seasons.

Audio issues like you described usually happens when Quik Capture is used with a non powered mic. You should turn the camera on using the side Mode button and verify the mic is being seen by the camera and after choosing the best external mic setting. Usually standard works fine, but sometimes you need to use the boost. Finally, if you are using the Protune RAW audio, unless you have a good audio editor, your best selection will be using the high processing. Low has no AGC (audio gain control) applied and will need to have the db raised significantly to hear any audio.

For more information regarding external mics, see these FAQ

https://gopro.com/help/articles/question_answer/External-Microphone-Recommendations

https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/HERO5-Black-External-Microphone-Information

https://gopro.com/help/articles/question_answer/What-is-RAW-Format

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

Freezing is and screen lag is normal.

You can jump through all the hoops they suggest on here and it won't change a thing.

Gopro Hero7's are defective and they won't admit it.

Professionals on Youtube will even say it's an issue since the Hero7 came out and none of the firmware updates have fixed it, you just have to deal with it.

Whatever you do, don't drop money on a mic adapter and mic, that introduces even more problems you'll have to deal with.

like the camera powering off after a few seconds of filming with the mic plugged in and possibly weird spark like artifacts on the video you do manage to shoot which I'm now getting if the my RODE Videomicro is plugged in.

Personally, I won't be touching another Gopro again after buying one for the first time a couple months ago.

I'll be checking out Garmin and how the new DJI Osmo action is looking like.

Highlighted
Hiker

The microphone issue was due to me not using the trss adapter, I already checked the card and its on the approved list and was brought new with the camera, I do wish people would stop trying to pin the problem to the sd card or somehow the software written during manufacture wasn't written properly. My unit was purchased in May 2019 and the last software was issued in January 2019.

Gopro get your **bleep** together and get the problems resolved.
Highlighted
Hiker

@nicetree0567 wrote:
The microphone issue was due to me not using the trss adapter, I already checked the card and its on the approved list and was brought new with the camera, I do wish people would stop trying to pin the problem to the sd card or somehow the software written during manufacture wasn't written properly. My unit was purchased in May 2019 and the last software was issued in January 2019.

Gopro get your **bleep** together and get the problems resolved.

That's their default excuse, the SD card.

Most of the Youtube channels don't even talk about the issues anymore, they just gave up and put up with it.

I won't be buying GoPro anymore.

DJI and Garmin don't support external mics yet, once they do my Hero7 Black is going on Craigslist.

Highlighted
Sightseer

You can go here  101 Things MUST READ Before Buying GoPro HERO7 Blackto find out

Hope this help!
Highlighted
Hiker

Reads the first entry and find I am using the exact sd card as #1 but still receives advice from support that the sd card is my issue... <shakes head> why did I spend a big chunk of hard earned money on this steaming brown over hyped and over rated camera