Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

I think "excellent" customer service would be:

"We'll ship you out a replacement camera immediately and apologize for any problems the faulty unit caused you.  Please send back your unit at your earliest convience using this pre-paid shipping label.

When you send it back, could you provide troubleshooting steps to reproduce the problem so we can track it down and make sure this bug gets squashed?  As our valued customer, you shouldn't have to do the troubleshooting for us -- we'll take the time to duplicate the problem, and correct it.

Thank you for your help!"

Still making your customers accept workarounds for a prolific problem... not ideal.

Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

Im on my third GoPro Hero7 black received in 2 months. Warranty replacements due to freezing issue. This current one froze as soon as I switched it on! Needless to say it will be going back to John Lewis, and this time I will be requesting a refund. Several different SD cards tried, and the problem persists. Such a disappointment as when it works it is fantastic, but I can't live with the unreliability. Im even having problems with the ap. So frustrating.
Highlighted
Sightseer

[ Edited ]

I got the same problem. 
My GP7 Black kept freezing when I used touch display..So frustrating.
So I downgraded Firmware from 1.70 to 1.61.
Since then until now, 2days that I don't have any freezing problem.

Highlighted
Tourist

I just wanted to add my voice to all of those with this problem.

Key ones for me are freezing all the time with no warning (so end up not recording more than 2-3 minutes) and frequent battery drains while off for a couple of hours.

I’ve tried everything suggested here. Don’t have any of the features on, have tried 3 different SD cards, factory resets, manual firmware update etc.

One thing that pretty much guarantees a freeze is switching between up and down on orientation. If there are any recordings of the other orientation the camera will crash. If I format the SD card between switch’s it reduces the frequency of freezing, but it doesn’t eliminate it.

Also when swapping batteries it will freeze every time. A battery change needs to be followed by a couple of power cycles holding down the power button for 15 seconds to force a reset of the camera.

All in all the Hero 7 is simply a terrible product
Highlighted
Tourist

Couldn't agree more! All the tips the support team has like "manual update" and "turn off low light!" is garbage. Nothing works to save the hero 7 black. I'm on my third, I have several aproved SD cards that have no problems recording 4k in other cameras. The hero 7 black is poorly designed, it overheats. It works a little better with hypersmooth off, but it still overheats and crashes. 

Highlighted
Tourist

I bough a Gopro 4 some years ago and I complain about these type of frozen situations while the warranty was ending off. Support told me to update again the firmware, that I repeated several times, and to use a different SD card. That didn't help, and today I have a Gopro that forces me to come out of the water just to pull out the battery.

Some years latter, while I'm waiting for a new Gopro version, I'm just surprised to see people complaining about the same frozen problems with version 7! Should I wait for a Gopro 8? What guarantees do I have that this problem wont happen again in a new model? None!

Highlighted
Explorer

Don't pull the battery. Hold the side Mode button for about 12 seconds and release. The camera will reboot.
Most freezing issues are related to SD card problems. SanDisk, although very popular, are notorious for this. I have five that I was using. Four work great but one card consistently gives me freezing issues. Same make/model as the others (SanDisk Extrme v30), but it's only with that one card that I have issues.

Other tips that seem to reduce or eliminate camera issues are turning off Auto Low light and setting the orientation to either UP or Down (if you mount upside down).

As far as Guarantees. Well, there is a 30-day money back guarantee as well as a one year warranty (some countries get two years).
Highlighted
Hiker

Words cannot express my anger with the GP7, mine refuses to turn off when I command it, if I press the power button and hold it for longer than 5 seconds after several attempts at trying to turn it off it restarts with a bandage and then keeps running. Today I tried recording with official mic adapter and external microphone and got silence. In another session I put the gp on a tripod with 50% battery and 60% storage using the internal microphone, I set it on record and left it, did what I needed to do returned to the camera which confirmed it was stick recording, stopped it recording and this time able to turn it off. Get home to find the camera stopped recording after 16 seconds. I hate this camera, it is the most frustrating and unreliable device I own, I can no longer trust the thing to do what I want it to do.