Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

[ New ]

I personally am not expecting another firmware update for the 7, as GoPro is most certainly in the version 8 cycle.

All I can hope is to get as much value out of my 7 as I can over the next few years, and see what is available if I still need an action cam in a few years.

I had a HeroHD2 which was great fun, then I got a 5black, which was a nice continuation and wasn't planning to replace it, but my partner knew how much usage I get out of my gopros, and saved to get me a 7black for Xmas. I've been pretty objective on this forum I think, considering my partner is embarressed and annoyed. She feels like I have a worse deal now than I had before.

When the 7 works, it is nice, but there are people on this forum who struggle to get anything out of it, and those people - rightly - should look elsewhere when they get money together again (because this stuff is often a hobby thing and expensive). GoPro is a public company, I see no value in attacking or defending it, just as a user, getting what I can from the product I bought.

What we see though is that GoPro lost the low end of its market to brands like Yi, and smartphones now they're getting waterproof, and whilst one round of higher end competitors fell away (Ghost, Contour), we're now seeing people like DJI come in, and they have the benefit of major brand recognition from another market, and that to fall back on. GoPro has the GoPro.

Hiker

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

[ New ]

Yep, been around the gadget game long enough to know they are done with the 7 with the 8 on the horizon. You'll likely never see another firmware update.  If your 7 is not working you're only option is to keep getting them warranty replaced, quickly, as I'm sure they'll say you waited too long to return it. 

Hiker

[ New ]

Well, well, well.  Seems there are laws to protect consumers. "Implied Warranties"

https://consumer.findlaw.com/consumer-transactions/what-are-express-and-implied-warranties.html

A vacuum is expected to vacuum just as a video camera is expected to record video. 

I'M AMAZED AT THE EFFORT I HAVE TO GO THROUGH TO GET A REFUND.

Tourist

[ New ]

There is good news.  Despite the fact that GoPro won't ackwnowledge a software problem or a problem at all beyond "Have you tried a different SD card and have you tried to update the camera firmware again?" a third party company has provided a hardware solution to the problem.  Looks like it's called the DJI Osmo Action.  Doesn't appear to have any of the locking up issues or file transfer issues plagued by the Hero 7.

Hiker

[ New ]

Good one. I'm sure GP will lose a lot of sales regardless of the Action's capability because it's a well known company. Their new action cam stands up to the Hero 7 in all aspects except low light capture. That will limit my purchasing right now as most of my use is MTB in the woods so I need good low light capability. I will however keep my eye on the blogs/forums as that improvement should be a pretty simple firmware update. And because this is a new camera you can bet they'll be all over making improvements pretty quickly. 

Tourist

[ New ]

I bought a go pro 7 black at the end of last year it also used to freeze no matter what card I tried , also before and after updates

the camera was damaged, they don’t like intece heat .

any way I bought another new one yesterday and hey presto it’s doing exactly the same..... I do t think they should have released this model there are far to many bugs

Sightseer

[ New ]

I've tried my new go pro and can say it's the first time i used it after a week ago I bought it
and back screen is freezing when tried to swipe from time lapse mode to video mode... (only menu icon which freezing in video icon) and can't do switching other menu..
I did turned it off because I can't do recording/ anything except forced turn it off
(push & hold power button around almost a minute, longer than normal for do turning off my gopro)

before that happen, I've already updated latest firmware upgrade from go pro apps

is that kind of bug?

Tourist

[ New ]

Everyone here’s what’s up....

GoPro doesn’t give two sh*ts about it’s costomers. They refuse to give me my money back after I asked for it but they told me I had to do the return first. DO NOT BUY THIS POS. On every lift and any time GoPro is brought up I tell them how horrid of a company and product they made. This is the same company that lied about its drone numbers to get more money from investors. You really think they care now that they have our money? Not one bit. So what I have done is spread the word as much as possible about the scam this company has become to be. I have told well over 2000 people how terrible it is plus I write it in their posts in Facebook and Twitter. Destroy their name is all we can do at this point. Is what it is