Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

Yes I seem to remember that post
I guess the thrust of my post intent was to suggest GoPro execs initiate a world wide recal and give users new cameras of ensure each replacement camera that is sent out to us passes individual quality and reliability tests and that that the individual is responsible if the camera still fails to perform as advertised.

In that case the company should offer a choice of a full refund or a free go pro 8 or 9 when issues are fixed and allow users to continue bur to use the cocked up anti-Hero 7
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

Finally a genuine alternative to this terribly unreliabel camera has come in the form of the DJI Osmo Action.

Highlighted
Tourist

Thank you for the information I’ll be ditching this GoPro 7 black and getting DJI mimo.
Highlighted
Tourist

I ended up giving my first one back and getting a free replacement. So far, my second one has performed perfectly. The only thing that happened was today my voice command didn't work no matter what I did. I finally performed a factory reset and it's back to normal.

Highlighted
Hiker

I am at my wits end. I purchased the original camera on Feb 2, 2019. Now, on May 16 I am on the 4th camera, the 3rd replacement, all due to camera freeze. Yes, I reported a few days ago that this camera was finally working. On it's 2nd outing I was never able to get a single recording. I had to pull the battery 5 times before I finally put it away. 

I just called GoPro and after 4 non-functioning cameras I requested a refund, realizing I will lose the Hero 3 I sent in on their Trade-up program. I was told I am now more than 30 days since the original purchase date and a refund will not be provided. WHAT? I'VE NEVER HAD A WORKING PRODUCT!!!! Nope, now way, no how will they provide a refund. So now I am either stuck with a non-functioning camera or will have to continue down the warranty replacement trail.

How on this planet is this ever considered good customer service? I've litleraly never had a working product and I can't get my money back! I cannot begin to explain how pissed I am. We, as consumers, should have some protection from companies like this. Steal your money and give you nothing. 

I guess my only option is to contact every consumer protection agency I can find. I could try my local news TV station but they'll probably pass on the story. I am at a complete loss. What else can I do? I just want my money back because after nearly 3 months I've never had a working product. This companies customer service policies are to benefit them, not you. Good Luck.

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

That's bad, no argument there.

The Support Chat person I dealt with was amiable, but ultimately it was the 'manual update and recommended SD card fixes all' answer we know so well from this forum. Even when on with them I got the screen to freeze when not recording via just spinning it around in multiple axis. They still said that was a fix.

Other comments in the chat point to ways to mitigate, and we've seen some of these on the forums:

- Lock the orientation (e.g. to up) as it seems it's the camera trying to sort its orientation out which is possibly hanging it. I'm blaming the new portrait feature here just because I have no use for it.  This orientations locking seems to have worked for me.

- Disable low light. I haven't tried this.

Straight off - having to disable any claimed function in a product you paid for, whether you use it or not, is just nonsense.

Highlighted
Tourist

Absolutely, I agree disabling features to get the camera working is suboptimal. I'm willing to do this as I think the firmware will be fixed.

I just don't want to send the product back over and over if it's a software problem.
Highlighted
Hiker

What I don't get is that there are known bugs like the crashes with the dark mode and they don't even fix that. Hero 7 really seems to be abandoned.