Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

Please read the threads
Nothing will work
It is a firmware/design engineering problem

No support or comment or solutions from GoPro

Just wIt and buy hero 8
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

[ Edited ]

Buy a Hero 8? I just spent $350 on a Hero 7. It should be expected that anything purchased at any price should work. I'm already  convinced the Hero 7 will never be fixed, otherwise it would have been by now. My only option is to keep reporting the defects on each camera they send me. Currently waiting for camera 4 to arrive. I will do this each and every time I gert a camera either until I get one that works or until they stop sending warranty replacements. Each warranty replacement sent is actually their admission that all the previous ones don't work. Becaause as of today if I stop complaining and ask for a refund I'll lose my Hero 3+, which won't be returned. So, I have nothing but time on my hands to keep complaining until we all get a working product, that we all paid top dollar for a supposedly top of the line action camear. Buy a Hero 8? I think not. Fool me once...

Highlighted
Tourist

I don't know how you can still have the patience to send the cameras back one after the other.
On my end, the only solution I found was to use quickcapture. At least the camera does not freeze since the screen is not turned on or activated after the rush is over.

I find myself with a similar use as with my Xiaomi Yi which did not have a screen lol. 

Highlighted
Explorer

My camera does not freeze. I did have a couple occasions where it did, but only when I used a specific SanDisk Extreme v30 (my other SanDisk Extreme v30 seem fine). I generally shoot in 2.7K/60fps (2.7K/30fps or 24fps in low light) with Protune On, Shutter Auto, EV -0.5 or -1, ISO MIN 100 and the MAX 100 bright days, 400 cloudy, 800 overcast/dark clouds, WB manually set (usually 5000/5500 Kelvin), Sharpness Low and Color Flat. GPS and Quick Capture are On. Auto Low light is off (Auto Low light just reduces frame rate to 30fps and I don't need the camera don't this for me), and voice activation is sometimes used but usually off. I also set my orientation to UP or DOWN depending on how I'm mounting the camera.

I always offload my media and format the card in the camera. Periodically I do a FULL format in my computer. I never delete individual clips or photos in the camera while I'm still shooting.

I use Samsung Evo Select (same card as EVO PLUS just rebranded for Amazon) and SanDisk Extreme v30 cards, 32GB & 64GB.

I almost always use Quik Story retrieval and creation but set this to manual retrieve (not automatically). Since this auto uploads to my GoPro Plus cloud I rarely have the camera auto upload during charge, but the camera is set up for this and occasionally I'll skip the mobile app and upload to the cloud this way.

Unless I'm doing the camera upload to cloud, I usually charge my batteries externally using the GoPro dual charger. I offload media to my computer using a USB 3.0 adapter. I use Quik for desktop to transfer the media most of the time.

My cameras have all been updated manually.

I don't get battery drain and I don't get freezing (except the few times with the one specific card). When I did get the freezing I didn't pull the battery. Instead I held down the side Mode/Power button for about 10 seconds and the camera rebooted and repaired the file.

I'm not sure if I missed any settings or workflow steps, but I think that's about it. The HERO7 Black has been an amazing camera for me, my son, my brother in law, and my neighbor who all have the camera. I'm still amazed every day with the incredible picture and stabilization.
Highlighted
Hiker

I have the feeling that the camera struggles more with 128GB cards than with 64GB ones.
Anyone else experiencing the same?

Highlighted
Tourist

Personally I have a 64GB and the problem is very well present...
Only solution, do not go to see the rush after finishing filming and immediately turn off the camera.

Highlighted
Hiker

So warranty replacement #3, or cameara #4 in hand. The good news is freezing does not appear to be a problem. I've set low light to Auto and off. I've set stabilization to Auto and Off. I've set Landscape Lock to Up, Down and off. I've had a SD card installed and removed. I cannot get this thing to freeze. I WILL KEEP TESTING.

On another note, when I tried to connect it to the Android GoPro App the app said I needed to update camera firmware. This is odd since the last two cameras came with version 1.70 already installed so they apparently sent me an older camera. After the firmware update I was unable to change the cameras name and had great difficulty connecting to the GoPro app. I eventually chatted with support FOR 90 MINUTES. It was a truly horrible experience. I can't believe everything that wanted me to do. Film yourself pairing the camera to the phone's GoPro app so we can see exactly what you're doing. I kinda get it but if this thing is so difficult to pair then their UI is a horrible design. SO I had to have THREE camears in front of me to get all of this done; the GoPro, my phone and a pocket camera. I ended up disconnecting from the chat as I felt I wasted enough of my time. 

After closing the chat I continued to play with the camera. I noticed the "reset to factory" setting in the camera. I reset the camera and went through a new setup. VOILA! It connected the first try and I was able to change the cameras name. WHY WASN'T THIS THE FIRST THING THEY SHOULD HAVE ME TRIED?

A few oddities: (a) tThe camera seemed to power itself off way earlier than the 15 minute setting. Pressing the power button didn't turn it back on. I had to remove the battery to get it to power back up. (b) Sometimes it doesn't want to connect to the phone. If I power them both off/on I am able to connect. (c) I can't get this thing to freeze up. Yes, and oddity :-O

In the end I'm not sure if this is a perfectly functioning camera. I will keep testing.

Highlighted
Tourist

How about overheating issues ? mine does it It won’t freeze very often though.