Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

I stopped using GoPros after my Hero 3 kept freezing on me and I had to remove the battery pack. They’ve obviously got some dodgy code somewhere in the system that has carried through all their models and they couldn’t be bothered investing in fixing it. Technical debt will one day bite you in the ass. I’m reading these posts and am absolutely amazed at the lack of useful assistance. Replace SD card, format this, update firmware. Really? Omg the camera is a joke. Guys just have a look at the other options out there. It’s not your job to conduct testing for GoPro! Life’s too short lol.
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

GoPro are you still not acknowledging the issue and fixing the software? I just purchased a Hero 7 and I have two separate SD cards both of which are on your approved list. I've tried updating the firmware via the phone app and manually installing it according to the GoPro website instructions.

Despite all of this my windows file explorer constantly hangs up when attempting to pull files off the camera. I didn't pay $450 bucks so I would have to fiddle with these little SD cards and put them in an adapter to transfer the files over to my computer. What's the solution?
Highlighted
Tourist

Sooooo disappointed to have just joined the GP "family" and see such a major flaw :-( I've been through numerous various cameras over these years (Garmins: Virb, Virb Elite, Virb 30; SJCAMs 4000, s7j; GITUP2 and some other ones) and I have to admit none of them froze on me on the first day, after just a couple of minues of playing with it. I am experienced enoygh to just take the battery out to resolve it momentarily but what now? Having noticed this thread being so long and without any serious solution I feel disappointed and displeased with "the leading product on the market".
Another thing is I couldn't just play the files from the camera after connecting it with my TV (Panasonic). None of the above mentioned cameras had a slightest problem with it. The GP7HB shows up USB connectivity icon on the screen but the TV set still doesn't see it.
It's quite sad because: the image quality is great, stabilization is SUPERB, the gel-like body of the camera feels nice in the hand.

Highlighted
Tourist

Today I installed a Lexar Professional 1000x microSDXC 128GB UHS-II/U3 card and was able to record without my Hero 7 freezing up, but I'll reserve making a judgement until I've had more time with the camera. I'm keeping my fingers crossed as I plan to vlog with the new camera in a few weeks, when I visit Venice, Italy.

Highlighted
Tourist

What about overheating issues?
Gfennell55
Highlighted
Tourist

I can't comment on that as I hadn't used it enough to experience any problem. I can say that it does get quiet hot, but as it was frezzing up, I didn't use it long enough. Let's see how it goes this weekend as I'm on safari in Africa.

Highlighted
Tourist

I had the exact same problem with the camera constantly freezing. I saw a reply that says to:

Turn off the auto low light setting

This works for me and I'm happy to use it this way utill the firmware is updated. It's pointless havnig a go at people on the forum, i'm sure they're aware of the problem and working on a fix as we type.

Regards

NB

Highlighted
Tourist

Interesting tip. It bears mentioning that when mine froze up, I was shooting indoors and at night. The room was well lit, so I probably didn't need auto low light. I'll turn mine off for additional comfort that it might not freeze when shooting in day light. Thanks for the tip.