Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

[ New ]

I feel so bad and sad about my gopro 7...I have the same problems and same sd card. Gopro I guess you are working on a solucion, don't you??!!!Smiley Mad

Sightseer

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

[ New ]

Same here, I'm extremly sad abot this, buyed gopro while I'm traveling. I'm not able to bring it back to shop. Smiley Mad

Tourist

[ New ]
Bunch of clowns running this company, clowns and misfits writing the software and monkeys testing it.
They obviously know this is an issue but don’t give a **bleep**.
They just keep pumping them out, shipping them and collecting the money.
Guess what ?
They are probably hoping tha somewhere down the line they may be able to fix it.

They are **bleep**s
I’ll
Never by another one of their products ever.
Update,
Came in to gaspe yesterday, greAt shooting
Ship in ice had an ice breaking tug
GoPro set up in the bridge window
Froze again
Card was reformatted
Wasn’t hot
Batteries pulled and reinserted
Bull**bleep**

Why don’t we go on thier Facebook page and it’s?
Doesn’t seem to do any good hete
Sightseer

[ New ]

I'm one of the many affected by the freeze issue.

I bought a brand new GoPro 7 Black from BestBuy yesterday, including a high-speed new SanDisk SD. 

First thing I did was upgrade to the latest firmware during the registration process. 

Test record ... uh oh - freeze. Completely. Only way out was to remove battery. Thinking maybe this is an anomaly.

Reformat card.

Seems to be working! Let me take it outside. Record 5 seconds. Working. Stop record. Uh oh freeze number 2.

Four freezes later...I take it back to BestBuy. I'm glad I bought it at a local brick-and-mortar. Thanks BestBuy for allowing easy returns. I didn't want to return it but clearly this freezing is a big issue. A real shame. And a double shame that GoPro don't seem to have any official fix for this.

Another dissapointment is the unavailability of the 3.5 inch mic adapter with NO word from GoPro on expected availability. 

I ended buy getting the DJI Pocket instead. Too soon to say whether I prefer it or not, but it does beat the GoPro in at least one category...I'm able to actually take video without it freezing.

Hiker

[ New ]

Returned my replacement Hero 7 and it was received by GoPro 7 days ago. Called today and I had to tell customer support this fact. They had no way to know it had been received. They then explained they have no way of contacting the warehouse to please confirm receipt so a 3rd replacement could be shipped.

On hold 52 minutes waiting for a supervisor....

I'll say it for you, good luck to me....55 minutes

Hiker

[ New ]

So...camera number 4 on it's way. "I give you my personal assurance the replacement will work as we have great quality testing".

HA HA HA HA HA HA H A

Tourist

[ New ]
I’m about to send the second one.
Tourist

[ New ]

I went to the grand opening of a new store tonight and wanted to shoot some video. My brand new Hero 7 Black, out of the box, with a fresh 'manual' firmware update, froze twice in as many attempts to record video. Had to pull the battery. Yeah, yeah..."what kind of card am I using?" I'm using a SanDisk Ultra Class 10 128GB XC 1.

I bought this especially to do a travel vlog in Venice next month, because of the stabilization, but I'm already sorry I did. If I can't get this resolved this week, I'm returning it.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @gfennell55.  Ultra cards are known to cause issues with the camera and are not recommended. Try using one of the recommended cards on this list. Let us know how it goes. 

Explorer

[ New ]
Yeah, yeah, you used a terrible SD card.
Tourist

[ New ]

@mariustanya wrote:

Hello @gfennell55.  Ultra cards are known to cause issues with the camera and are not recommended. Try using one of the recommended cards on this list. Let us know how it goes. 

Oh come on. This is not a card issue. I can not believe you haven't read all previous messages. There is something seriously wrong with the Hero 7. I think we are all waiting and hoping that Gopro is working on this and that we can expect a solution soon. But answers like this are not reassuring. Please confirm that GoPro is doing something. Thank you.

Tourist

[ New ]
GoPro you are full of it
We have tried. Different cards

Why cant you make a camera that just works?you got our money , now we can all go to hell , right?

I have a Nikon d850
Works fine with any additional cars
I have a Fuji xt20
Works. Great with ultra cards and anything else

I have a Sony FS5
I use two as ultra 128 gig cards
Works fine
No issues

So tjat confirms that it is not a card issue,
But a issue with your so poorly designed and built camera!

Wish I could get my money back!!!
Garbage, totally. Garbage!
Explorer

[ New ]
My three HERO7 Black cameras work fine.
Tourist

[ New ]

I ordered a Lexar 1000x microSDXC UHS-3 128GB. It'll be here in a couple days. I hope that'll fix it.

@mariustanya wrote:

Tourist

[ New ]

Yeah I see that now. Should have checked to GoPro website first. Anyway, I ordered the Lexar 1000x microSDXC UHS-3 128GB. Hoping that'll fix it.

Hiker

[ New ]
It won't but good luck.
Tourist

[ New ]
I stopped using GoPros after my Hero 3 kept freezing on me and I had to remove the battery pack. They’ve obviously got some dodgy code somewhere in the system that has carried through all their models and they couldn’t be bothered investing in fixing it. Technical debt will one day bite you in the ass. I’m reading these posts and am absolutely amazed at the lack of useful assistance. Replace SD card, format this, update firmware. Really? Omg the camera is a joke. Guys just have a look at the other options out there. It’s not your job to conduct testing for GoPro! Life’s too short lol.
Tourist

[ New ]
GoPro are you still not acknowledging the issue and fixing the software? I just purchased a Hero 7 and I have two separate SD cards both of which are on your approved list. I've tried updating the firmware via the phone app and manually installing it according to the GoPro website instructions.

Despite all of this my windows file explorer constantly hangs up when attempting to pull files off the camera. I didn't pay $450 bucks so I would have to fiddle with these little SD cards and put them in an adapter to transfer the files over to my computer. What's the solution?
Tourist

[ New ]

Sooooo disappointed to have just joined the GP "family" and see such a major flaw :-( I've been through numerous various cameras over these years (Garmins: Virb, Virb Elite, Virb 30; SJCAMs 4000, s7j; GITUP2 and some other ones) and I have to admit none of them froze on me on the first day, after just a couple of minues of playing with it. I am experienced enoygh to just take the battery out to resolve it momentarily but what now? Having noticed this thread being so long and without any serious solution I feel disappointed and displeased with "the leading product on the market".
Another thing is I couldn't just play the files from the camera after connecting it with my TV (Panasonic). None of the above mentioned cameras had a slightest problem with it. The GP7HB shows up USB connectivity icon on the screen but the TV set still doesn't see it.
It's quite sad because: the image quality is great, stabilization is SUPERB, the gel-like body of the camera feels nice in the hand.

Tourist

[ New ]

Today I installed a Lexar Professional 1000x microSDXC 128GB UHS-II/U3 card and was able to record without my Hero 7 freezing up, but I'll reserve making a judgement until I've had more time with the camera. I'm keeping my fingers crossed as I plan to vlog with the new camera in a few weeks, when I visit Venice, Italy.

Tourist

[ New ]
What about overheating issues?
Gfennell55
Tourist

[ New ]

I can't comment on that as I hadn't used it enough to experience any problem. I can say that it does get quiet hot, but as it was frezzing up, I didn't use it long enough. Let's see how it goes this weekend as I'm on safari in Africa.

Tourist

[ New ]

I had the exact same problem with the camera constantly freezing. I saw a reply that says to:

Turn off the auto low light setting

This works for me and I'm happy to use it this way utill the firmware is updated. It's pointless havnig a go at people on the forum, i'm sure they're aware of the problem and working on a fix as we type.

Regards

NB

Tourist

[ New ]

Interesting tip. It bears mentioning that when mine froze up, I was shooting indoors and at night. The room was well lit, so I probably didn't need auto low light. I'll turn mine off for additional comfort that it might not freeze when shooting in day light. Thanks for the tip.

Tourist

[ New ]
Please read the threads
Nothing will work
It is a firmware/design engineering problem

No support or comment or solutions from GoPro

Just wIt and buy hero 8
Hiker

[ New ]

Buy a Hero 8? I just spent $350 on a Hero 7. It should be expected that anything purchased at any price should work. I'm already  convinced the Hero 7 will never be fixed, otherwise it would have been by now. My only option is to keep reporting the defects on each camera they send me. Currently waiting for camera 4 to arrive. I will do this each and every time I gert a camera either until I get one that works or until they stop sending warranty replacements. Each warranty replacement sent is actually their admission that all the previous ones don't work. Becaause as of today if I stop complaining and ask for a refund I'll lose my Hero 3+, which won't be returned. So, I have nothing but time on my hands to keep complaining until we all get a working product, that we all paid top dollar for a supposedly top of the line action camear. Buy a Hero 8? I think not. Fool me once...

Tourist

[ New ]

I don't know how you can still have the patience to send the cameras back one after the other.
On my end, the only solution I found was to use quickcapture. At least the camera does not freeze since the screen is not turned on or activated after the rush is over.

I find myself with a similar use as with my Xiaomi Yi which did not have a screen lol. 

Explorer

[ New ]
My camera does not freeze. I did have a couple occasions where it did, but only when I used a specific SanDisk Extreme v30 (my other SanDisk Extreme v30 seem fine). I generally shoot in 2.7K/60fps (2.7K/30fps or 24fps in low light) with Protune On, Shutter Auto, EV -0.5 or -1, ISO MIN 100 and the MAX 100 bright days, 400 cloudy, 800 overcast/dark clouds, WB manually set (usually 5000/5500 Kelvin), Sharpness Low and Color Flat. GPS and Quick Capture are On. Auto Low light is off (Auto Low light just reduces frame rate to 30fps and I don't need the camera don't this for me), and voice activation is sometimes used but usually off. I also set my orientation to UP or DOWN depending on how I'm mounting the camera.

I always offload my media and format the card in the camera. Periodically I do a FULL format in my computer. I never delete individual clips or photos in the camera while I'm still shooting.

I use Samsung Evo Select (same card as EVO PLUS just rebranded for Amazon) and SanDisk Extreme v30 cards, 32GB & 64GB.

I almost always use Quik Story retrieval and creation but set this to manual retrieve (not automatically). Since this auto uploads to my GoPro Plus cloud I rarely have the camera auto upload during charge, but the camera is set up for this and occasionally I'll skip the mobile app and upload to the cloud this way.

Unless I'm doing the camera upload to cloud, I usually charge my batteries externally using the GoPro dual charger. I offload media to my computer using a USB 3.0 adapter. I use Quik for desktop to transfer the media most of the time.

My cameras have all been updated manually.

I don't get battery drain and I don't get freezing (except the few times with the one specific card). When I did get the freezing I didn't pull the battery. Instead I held down the side Mode/Power button for about 10 seconds and the camera rebooted and repaired the file.

I'm not sure if I missed any settings or workflow steps, but I think that's about it. The HERO7 Black has been an amazing camera for me, my son, my brother in law, and my neighbor who all have the camera. I'm still amazed every day with the incredible picture and stabilization.
Hiker

[ New ]

I have the feeling that the camera struggles more with 128GB cards than with 64GB ones.
Anyone else experiencing the same?

Tourist

[ New ]

Personally I have a 64GB and the problem is very well present...
Only solution, do not go to see the rush after finishing filming and immediately turn off the camera.

Hiker

[ New ]

So warranty replacement #3, or cameara #4 in hand. The good news is freezing does not appear to be a problem. I've set low light to Auto and off. I've set stabilization to Auto and Off. I've set Landscape Lock to Up, Down and off. I've had a SD card installed and removed. I cannot get this thing to freeze. I WILL KEEP TESTING.

On another note, when I tried to connect it to the Android GoPro App the app said I needed to update camera firmware. This is odd since the last two cameras came with version 1.70 already installed so they apparently sent me an older camera. After the firmware update I was unable to change the cameras name and had great difficulty connecting to the GoPro app. I eventually chatted with support FOR 90 MINUTES. It was a truly horrible experience. I can't believe everything that wanted me to do. Film yourself pairing the camera to the phone's GoPro app so we can see exactly what you're doing. I kinda get it but if this thing is so difficult to pair then their UI is a horrible design. SO I had to have THREE camears in front of me to get all of this done; the GoPro, my phone and a pocket camera. I ended up disconnecting from the chat as I felt I wasted enough of my time. 

After closing the chat I continued to play with the camera. I noticed the "reset to factory" setting in the camera. I reset the camera and went through a new setup. VOILA! It connected the first try and I was able to change the cameras name. WHY WASN'T THIS THE FIRST THING THEY SHOULD HAVE ME TRIED?

A few oddities: (a) tThe camera seemed to power itself off way earlier than the 15 minute setting. Pressing the power button didn't turn it back on. I had to remove the battery to get it to power back up. (b) Sometimes it doesn't want to connect to the phone. If I power them both off/on I am able to connect. (c) I can't get this thing to freeze up. Yes, and oddity :-O

In the end I'm not sure if this is a perfectly functioning camera. I will keep testing.

Tourist

[ New ]
How about overheating issues ? mine does it It won’t freeze very often though.
Hiker

[ New ]

I've had no over heating issues.

Tourist

[ New ]

Today I was shooting some video in and around The Lost City in Sun City, South Africa. Though I didn't experience any freezing, at least 4 times during filming, I got a sd card error message and it said only reformatting the card will fix it. The first time, I reformatted, thereby loosing all my footage, but the next time I pulled the battery instead. When I restarted the camera, I got a message saying that it was repairing the file. Luckily I didn't loose anything this time. The last time, I simply turned the camera off, back on, got the repairing message, and it continued to work fine. By the way, I'm using a 126GB Lexar Professional 1000x card. All said and done, when I got back to my room and downloaded the footage to my computer, it was awesome. Great stabilzation, resolution and overall image quality.

Tourist

[ New ]
So for those people who say their cameras aren't freezing are you referring to when you download videos or just general operation?
Hiker

[ New ]
General operation
Explorer

[ New ]

@cajunjosh 

Your issue of Windows Explorer freezing during import most likely has to do with your computer and the MTP protocol used.  The camera itself wouldn't be causing this.  Be sure to use the supplied GoPro USB-C cable and perhaps reach out to the GoPro Support Team via chat so they can help you diagnose the issue.

Before contacting GoPro, try connecting the camera and put it into USB mode and then follow the links below.

Install and Update drivers in Windows 10

Update drivers in Windows 10

Tourist

[ New ]
So to bad for go pro
I’m at a meeting in Montreal at our charters head office
They are doing a saftey training video
And wanted to purchase and use the GoPro.

Since I’m the video production consultant,
I recommended strongly against having GoPro involved with this project.

I layed out all the problems with the camera based on my experience over the last year.

Along with other limitations, it is not up to the task.

Subsequently, we are going in a different direction.

Thats tough and to bad for you GoPro, you really blew it!
Very poor quality control, bad software, terrible support.

I can see this company disappearing in 5 years.

But I don’t have to ruin my reputation by using it.
It’s just a fun camera to try to screw around with now.
Not worth the 600 bucks they charge in Canada .

Bye bye GoPro

Hiker

[ New ]

I received the 3rd replacement in 3 months, all due to freezing. I think I am happy to report I finaly got a good one. It worked perfectly today on a 2 hour MTB ride recording 20 clips with no freezing.

KEEP SENDING THEM BACK FOR WARRANTY REPLACEMENT UNTIL YOU GET ONE THAT WORKS!

Tourist

[ New ]

Any lock with the Lexar profesional SD card not freezing up and/or overheating and shutting down?

Tourist

[ New ]

Unfortunenatly i became also a member of the Hero7Black freezing family.

Specs: GoPro Hero 7 Black

Firmware: 0.170

SD Card: SANDISK 64GB MICROSD EXTREME PRO U3 A2 170MB/S

Problem: 

Freeze after standby in any resolution at any fps - mostly used 2.7k 50fps 

Solution tried:

1. reset camera

2. manual update

3. format SD card

4. tried other SD card same specs (brand new)

Result: nothing still freezing.

In my opinion the freezing didn't occur when i bought it but after update of firmware 1.61 or 1.70 

So while Nick is telling on Mashable Youtube that GoPro is back on focus with their product line and her users/customers 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzsxxlorkck

I think Nick has still a job to be done specially for those who made their cry of help with their GoPro Hero7 Black - Freezing issues in concluding myself :).

Don't get this wrong - i still think is the best out there and i believe in the brand but this issue has to be addressed and taken seriously.

So Nick do your thing !

For GoPro, things are looking up.After a tumultuous couple of years - which saw the action-camera company enter and then leave the drone business, get squeez...
Tourist

[ New ]
Please would you try turning off Auto low light setting. This works for me, never freezes.

Please report back.
Tourist

[ New ]
Same here. Approved SD-Card and several manual updates didn’t help with the screen freezing issues.

Turned off the low-light setting and now it works like a charm. Hopefully this gets fixed with a new update. It’s really a shame for a 400€ camera from the self-proclaimed market leader....
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello Everyone. Thank you for your feedback. Sorry to hear that you are still having freezing issues with your HERO7 camera despite performing recommended troubleshooting steps.

The next path forward would be to engage our Support team so a case can be established for the concern. When you contact Support, prepare your camera information as well as sample videos showing the issue (if there is any) and specifics on the troubleshooting steps you did. You may also provide this thread for reference. Our Support team may be reached by phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . Best reagards!

Tourist

[ New ]
Seriously?
You want me to provide samples of my video freezing?
How can that be proven from a video that it’s frozen, and that it’s a go pro problem and not me stopping it with my app?

Idiots
Same old crap
They remind me of General Motors warranty service!
“Not our fault, cant find nothing wrong with your car !”
Hiker

[ New ]
I did this. A real pain. Used a standalone camera filming my phone and GoPro. See my earlier posts. I REALLY don't understand why users must jump through hoops to prove a well known issue. And since my latest replacement appears to be working my bet is this is a serious hardware failure and shows a serious flaw in production QA.
Hiker

[ New ]

I think we all agree this is massively disappointing - yes, it'll work if you off turn a bunch of things and try several SD cards / re-installations - which really makes me doubt their updater technology.

I'm hoping for another firmware update to address whatever the low light issue is, whatever the oritentation/freezing issue is, and I hope they do it soon, as I understand a drone manufacturer just released a rival product. Honestly though, I don't think we'll see a 1.8 or above, and they'll pin hopes on the 8 series.Kind of sad.

(I'm still trying to get my 7 black replaced).

Hiker

[ New ]
Tourist

[ New ]
Yes I seem to remember that post
I guess the thrust of my post intent was to suggest GoPro execs initiate a world wide recal and give users new cameras of ensure each replacement camera that is sent out to us passes individual quality and reliability tests and that that the individual is responsible if the camera still fails to perform as advertised.

In that case the company should offer a choice of a full refund or a free go pro 8 or 9 when issues are fixed and allow users to continue bur to use the cocked up anti-Hero 7
Tourist

[ New ]

Finally a genuine alternative to this terribly unreliabel camera has come in the form of the DJI Osmo Action.