Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

Don’t be curious, be furious!
This is the stuff of startups, not established heavy hitters.
The motto of GoPro Firmware and Updates Division seems to be:
If At First You Don’t Succeed... Who Cares?
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

I have had this issue as well and also alternating time lapse photos and video when just trying to do video.  Most recently the video froze on the same scene near the end of the battery life.  (2.7 resolution at 30 frames) I don't think that should be taxing the processor.   Maybe the battery is causing this when it gets low.  I am also using batteries from version 6 GoPros as I now have one seven and 2 six's.  Any help would be appreciated as you all know, setting up any event came be very expensive or in some case a once in a lifetime occurance causing a real bummer when the video doesn't work. 

Highlighted
Tourist

I have exactly the problem.. update is ok, the sd card is ok but still..
Highlighted
Tourist

I purchased 2 new Hero7 Blacks from BestBuy last month. I posted my observations on this topic somewhere back in the thread. My cameras were both shutting down even after the manual update, using the approved SanDisk extreme card. Chat support was useless. I took both Hero7s back to Best Buy and they replaced them both. I am using the EXACT same memory cards that were in the cameras that were shutting down previously. I am happy to report that both cameras have been solid. After 3 all night tests, they filled the 128GB cards and even remain connected to their iPads. At 1080/30 it is over 8 hours. I also tested them both using 4k60 and they both filled the cards. I didn’t make any observations with the higher frame rates.  They were plugged in to external power supplies in order to record that long. Batteries were installed in cameras. 

The ONLY thing I did differently, was to NOT allow the cameras to update with the iPads. Instead, once the cameras completed their initial boot process, I performed the MANUAL UPDATE using the flash card. 

GoPro support would not sway from their script. They were not interested in solving the actual cause of the problem. I am curious to know if anybody has exchanged and continued to have same problems after iPad/iPhone update. Or if anybody else has gone straight to the manual update and had success as I have. Cheers

Highlighted
Hiker

Try this... 

Go into video settings

Turn ON low light toggle

Back out to the main screen.

The next step does NOT need to be recording. In fact you do not even need a SD card in place. 

Aim the camera at a bright light, then quickly swipe the camera back and forth pointing it at the bright light, dark surface, bright light, dark surface,bright light, dark surface, bright light, dark surface,bright light, dark surface, bright light, dark surface. 

With the low light toggle ON I can cause the camera to freeze within 30 like clockwork.  Turn the low light toggle off and I completed a 2 hour woods trail run without any freezing. Seems the camera is having difficulty managing the quick change between a low light and bright light exposure. 

Of course GoPro has not accepted any issues relative to this and for those wanting to accept their offer to replace the camera have not experienced any better functionality. I'm on my 3rd camera and continue to experience freezing. YES, I have a GoPro reccomended SD card and have performed a manual update so don't go there.

If you're simply recording and have not experienced the issue, follow the instructions above to see if you to now freeze.

Highlighted
Tourist

Forget my earlier "fix" on setting Gopro 7 to 1080p resolution, ostensibly to reduce overheat problems. That resolution started freezing as well during my underwater scuba photo shoots. Looks like this is either an intermittent hardware bug, exacerbated by overheating, or a firmware issue they can't afford to fix.

Highlighted
Tourist

PS I tried manually updating the firmware but it didn't help. 

Highlighted
Hiker

Do you have Low Light setting toggled on? Toggle it off and re-test.