Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

[ New ]
I had a hero 3 black, never an issue, not one!
Then the power charge port broke
So I thought ide update to a hero 7 black!
BIG MISTAKE!
I’ve updated so many times, pulled the battery. , formatted, changed cards, paid almost 600 bucks for this and all I hear from go pro is:
Maybe someone else on the form had had dame issue and can offer help, or, manually update.or, try a different card!

First of all
I didn’t pay somebody almost 600 bucks cdn for this friggin camera
Second I’m using the recommended card

I THINK ITS TIME GOR GOPRO TO GET OFF THIER F@#^***NG ASSES AND FIX THIS

MY FRIEND HAD A 49 dollar Chinese camera almost identical to GoPro.
Guess what
No freezing, takes any card, does most of the things this high end piece of plastic does.

No more excuses!
FIC THE PROBLEM!!

Ps I work on a boat,
Coming into st. Pierre, Michon and guess what?
Camera froze after 16 images!!!
Inacceptable garbage!

Until this is fixed
I’ll be recommending the Chinese camera over this thing!!!

Worthless and a waste of money!!!!
Tourist

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

[ New ]
I entirely agree with your course of action
7 is garbage
Hiker

[ New ]
I feel your pain, as you say if a fifty bucks camera can behave as it should and do what you want it do i.e. take photos and shoot video then why can’t a camera that costs 13 times that perform the same way? I honestly can’t believe that there are still folk having to put up with this nonsense, it beggars belief that a company of GoPro’s stature and market share would happily let their name be tarnished by this embarrassment, to tell people to go to a forum for a possible resolution speaks volumes to me; a classic case of “We have your money, we don’t care”.
Hiker

[ New ]

And just imagine doing a once in a lifetime thing like a bungee jump and that crappy camera doesn't work.

I stored my Hero 4 in a drawer. Last time I used it was a few moths ago. And the battery wasn't empty yet! I'm back to my Hero 4 now. I'm just mad that I can't sell my Hero 7 in good conscience because it would annoy the heck of its new owner.

Hiker

[ New ]
This thread should be posted on every platform where the Hero7 Black is promoted and every GoPro influencer and marketer tagged in it, maybe that is the only thing that would get this company to pull its finger out. There is NOTHING more frustrating than feeling that you are just being ignored.
Hiker

[ New ]
Just got a hero 7 black as an upgrade from my 5. Also having similar freeszing issues but unable to pinpoint it. Usually its after taking a video, so assumed its the memory card, going to get another one and try it out and see what happens.
Hiker

[ New ]

Don't bother to try another one. I tried it already. Just as bad.

The first one came with a bundled memory card from sandisk, Packed by GoPro.
Freezes up as easy as the other one.
SanDisk Extreme 32GB HC I

V30 U3 A1

Tourist

[ New ]

@andrewg41218 wrote:
Just got a hero 7 black as an upgrade from my 5. Also having similar freeszing issues but unable to pinpoint it. Usually its after taking a video, so assumed its the memory card, going to get another one and try it out and see what happens.

Try changing LOW LIGHT to OFF and see what happens. Please give me feedback. Thanks.

Tourist

[ New ]

Changing the LOW LIGHT to off doesnt fix the problem. Still getting freezes and mine will freeeze 90% of the time it switches from landscrape to portrait. Shut that off too still no luck. New sd cards, batteries, all from go pro. GO PRO......THIS CAMERA IS A SCAM!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tourist

[ New ]
I agree. This camera is a headache. Its fun to pull the battery after every video. Or find out it froze up half way down the mountain. Just got off the phone with their support and its like this thread doesn't even exists to them. I have a bad feeling all us that bought the 7 are stuck with this trail-beta camera they released.
Hiker

[ New ]

The saddest part is that they will probably release a Hero 8 in a while without all these problems we tested and they will expect us to pay again. We are not testers, Gopro. And if we are, we should get paid.

Hiker

[ New ]
Don't expect a Gopro 8 with that issue fixed. I read somewhere the Hero 6 had a similar problem.
Hiker

[ New ]

Looks like we have some great energy in the room... anyone with contacts to Engadget, Verge or any other major outlets share this thread with them? GoPro will never admit publicly there's an issue with the camera since that would hurt future sales, apparently they don't really care about the cameras already sold since this entire thread is just users getting frustrated and no meaningful response from GoPro..

GoPro.. my camera once again recorded several bad files this weekend - starts recording, then video stops, audio continues. Exact same thing happened with my 6. Should I open a case? Will you send me a different camera that does the same exact thing?

Hiker

[ New ]

Today my seatpost mont on my bike broke. Tried to search for my camera visually, later with the smart remote and at last with the gopro app on the phone in search mode. Guess what. No luck, the camera is problably in a ditch in mode: Frozen.
Stay away from the Joby seat post /handlebar mount (could not find the model on their homepage), it only lasted ca. 20 hours.

I'm in contact with support, who suggested to manually update the firmware. That did not help (on the camera I had left).
So I'm not going to replace my lost camera before the other is working. Maybe I'll try something not GoPro.
But, it is not easy to find someone who can deliver the stable image and picture quality....

Tourist

[ New ]

I expect GoPro to do something about this issue. The fact that I am over $500 into my GoPro Hero 7 setup and it does not work as advertised and there is no solution on the horizon is completely unacceptable to me. I am sure there are hundreds, if not thousands of others with the exact same experience. If I use the camera as 1080P / 60 FPS with Video Stabilization it works fine.. Battery life stinks, but it works OK... If I go to a higher frame rate the battery life degrades further and digital artifacts appear in the videos... If I try to go to 4K and use Video Stabilization it instantly freezes. There is no way to use this camera with all of it's features turned on. I would LIKE to use it as the 4K camera with Video Stabilization that I PAID FOR. I did not get what I PAID FOR... I have done all of the troubleshooting steps recommended by GoPro, manual update, different memory cards, etc. etc. etc. and I always get the same result. GoPro this is completely unacceptable, the people that paid a lot of money for the Hero 7 Black want these issues resolved.. I am going to Hawaii in May, something tells me I will be purchasing a different camera to take with me on this trip.... 

Tourist

[ New ]

Good lord you've got to be kidding- I take my brand new GoPro 7 with full diving accessories to Little Cayman, and the darn thing freezes underwater CONSTANTLY. I've wasted the entire trip fiddling with this camera to try and fix it...change SD cards (all supported), change settings, EVERYTHING. And why did I upgrade to the 7? Because my trip a few years ago with the GoPro 3 with full underwater accessories CONSTANTLY failed to write to any SD card. Likely a different firmware issue, but CRAP I'm so done with GoPro bugs. The camera hardware isn't even that good! Can't you people write firmware to the camera simply works? You advertise as an action camera so it's pretty darn important you WORK EVERY TIME.

So I look online today to see if I'm the only one...and here is this thread.

GoPro is it any wonder why your company is hurting?

Tourist

[ New ]

The hero three was the only GoPro camera I ever owned that worked properly
I have a 3 broken(age)
Hero 5 black , worked great until I updated firmware
Hero 7 black, has never worked properly
As I have up graded cameras, bought new cards, reformatted, reinstalled and manually updated firmware!
The product does not work as advertised
All I mostly do is time lapse And it froggin freezes

All the bells and whistles are turned off
Which really defeTs the purpose of spending the money for the advertised camerA.
You noticed I say “advertised “ because what I received and what the company advertises , I have found , are two totally different things.

Hiker

[ New ]

As I wrote in an earlier post, I am back to using my Hero 4 now. But this morning I tried to switch on my Hero 7 just for fun - and it was dead again. I guess Gopro is into developing the next model now - since there are now new firmware versions I guess it's kind of abandoned. But let's see and hope for the best.

Hiker

[ New ]

I'm about to get a new GoPro Hero7,  I expect it to be just as good as the one I'm returning. Since the people on the support chat was helpfull, I'll give them a chance. So if everybody with this issue contacs the chat, they can see how big the problem is. I guess we'll just have to wait for firmware 1.78 or 2.0 before we see some improvement. The cameras gets quite hot sometimes, so I hope it's not an overheating issue that cannot be fixed with firmware upgrades.

Tourist

[ New ]

You would think with the thousands of complaints over several months since the product release they would have a better strategy. I am currently looking at other cameras from Nikon, Garmin, etc to take to Hawaii because I have NO FAITH in the very expensive GoPro Hero 7 Black.. NONE...

GoPro should be ashamed of themselves.. Their silence is deafening.

Tourist

[ New ]

This is what I am posting on every review site I can find for this product:

I purchased a GoPro Hero 7 Black. I applied the update and went to use it and the device immediately froze. It took me a couple of days and several hours of troubleshooting to determine what worked and what did not with regards to the features of this product. If I record at 1080P up to 60 fps with Video stabilization on I can get good quality videos on the camera. The battery life is not great, but it works and works well. If I try to up the frame rate beyond 60 fps I start seeing digital artifacts in my recordings, but it still works. If I try to use 4K with Video Stabilization the camera freezes immediately. I have done everything that GoPro tech support recommends to troubleshoot these issues, at least half a dozen times. I have new GoPro branded batteries, multiple memory cards that are approved for use in the device and I have manually updated the firmware several times. NOTHING resolves the issue and the response from GoPro has been completely pathetic. I bought this camera for my trip to Hawaii and I am in the process of finding an alternative as I do not trust this thing to work and capture all the footage I want. I do not recommend anybody purchase any products by GoPro, their lack of response to thousands of complaints regarding their products is not acceptable. They deserve to go out of business.

Tourist

[ New ]
Yes you’re absolutely justified in your comments and your wanting to purchase an alternative camera for your vacation.
Too many of us have lost once in a lifetime footage. Images and in some cases, our reputation in putting our faith, money and trust, buying into go pro hype and advertising about how great their new cameras are.

Here’s the truth as I have experienced it.
GoPro came out with a very small phenomenal camera when everything was big.
It captured amazing POV images and video.
Made great footage and images!
Viola! A success , hero three basic did what you wanted !
These clowns got lucky and made it big, but they had no idea how to grow the product, and mature it and bring it up to a higher level trouble free. and they sure as hell donot know how to test.
But we all know what they know how to do, they know how to bait and switch.
Develop a next level camera that is not ready for sale, up the price, and offer no solutions to the inherent problem indicative to inferior programming and flawed testing and oversight.

Who payed?
Why we do of course

Ok so again I’ve owned these since hero 3.
My hero 3 still runs on batteries but charge port broke
I then bought hero 4
Good
It worked
Then bought hero 5 and a karma drone
Worked great until I updated firmware
Could never get it working properly again.
I thought it was something electronic with the camera.
Skipped the 6 event for the 7.
Exact same problem. Freezing, overheating
No support, bull**bleep** excuses and half assed
Suggestions.
After spending all this money, they want me to keep buying men cards, batteries, etc, saying it might fix the problem.
The want me to comtinipusly update firmware, which they must know is trash!

They have to know that a huge prob exist.
Corporate thievery.
GoPro 8
New improved
It does cuz.
Buy it!
Then probably, freezes.
You will get a chat agent reading from the scripted line;
“Try updating firm ware
Try new GoPro branded batteries
Try buying a new memory card.
Who cares you just spent all that money on a defective product and they know it’s defective.
But the board of directors say we can’t delay sales launch, we’ll loose millions out of our pockets!
I have a villa to pay for in hawaiantjer screamst
This is bull**bleep**, you called me back here for this?
I was on my yacht , just release it, we’ll fix it later.
They’re Gonna buy it anyway!

And here we are chumps, buying more of the garbage they put out.
They had a good product many many years ago.
But that is in the past.
And we and our hard earned dollars, cannot fund GoPro execs because of the past.

We need compensation.

A side note.

Departed St. Pierre Michelon thismorning, Dey the camerA up again hoping it would work.
Did it?
You guessed it.....
NOPE!!!
Froze after 22 timelspse image
Next time I’ll be bringing my Nikon d850 and my Fuji xt20
The may be big bulky and heavy, but I know they will not let me down!
Go to hell go pro!
Your company is bogus, your execs are crooks, and your products are GARBAGE!!!!
Tourist

[ New ]
Folks this is definitely over heating issue. You have to reduce cpu load by lowering resolution. 1080p should do it. No freezing at that level. Overheating means this is HARDWARE so we will not see a fix. False advertising...
Tourist

[ New ]
heat solution :-)
gp7.jpg
Hiker

[ New ]

Have experienced freezing with 1080P 50 frames to. So.... Seems quite random. But when it is frozen it's usually quite hot. So it seems that what ever qauses it to freeze, starts up a process that's quite intence.
Right now I'm waiting for a swap, so I'm going to have a brake from GoPro for a little while.

Hiker

[ New ]

My Hero 7 black was two days old before I experienced freezing. Chat session ened in a replacement being sent, after many promises that the replacement would be perfect. Two weeks later the new camera  arrived. Inserted battery, no SD card, turned low light ON and quickly moved the camera from a bright light source to a black towel. Within 30 seconds it froze. Turned low light off and camera worked flawlessly. Turned low light on and it freezes within 30 seconds. Called support who said "I have your back" and another replacement will work perfectly. I insisted on speakinng to a supervisor. Was told someone would call me back. That never happened.

Went on a 2 hour hike today with low light turned off and it worked perfectly for two hours. 

Calling tomorrow for one more try to get someone to do something about the firmware. If that fails back it goes for a refund. What I'm curious about is how they'll refund me for the Hero 3+ I sent in as a trade-up.

Hiker

[ New ]
Don’t be curious, be furious!
This is the stuff of startups, not established heavy hitters.
The motto of GoPro Firmware and Updates Division seems to be:
If At First You Don’t Succeed... Who Cares?
Tourist

[ New ]

I have had this issue as well and also alternating time lapse photos and video when just trying to do video.  Most recently the video froze on the same scene near the end of the battery life.  (2.7 resolution at 30 frames) I don't think that should be taxing the processor.   Maybe the battery is causing this when it gets low.  I am also using batteries from version 6 GoPros as I now have one seven and 2 six's.  Any help would be appreciated as you all know, setting up any event came be very expensive or in some case a once in a lifetime occurance causing a real bummer when the video doesn't work. 

Tourist

[ New ]
I have exactly the problem.. update is ok, the sd card is ok but still..
Tourist

[ New ]

I purchased 2 new Hero7 Blacks from BestBuy last month. I posted my observations on this topic somewhere back in the thread. My cameras were both shutting down even after the manual update, using the approved SanDisk extreme card. Chat support was useless. I took both Hero7s back to Best Buy and they replaced them both. I am using the EXACT same memory cards that were in the cameras that were shutting down previously. I am happy to report that both cameras have been solid. After 3 all night tests, they filled the 128GB cards and even remain connected to their iPads. At 1080/30 it is over 8 hours. I also tested them both using 4k60 and they both filled the cards. I didn’t make any observations with the higher frame rates.  They were plugged in to external power supplies in order to record that long. Batteries were installed in cameras. 

The ONLY thing I did differently, was to NOT allow the cameras to update with the iPads. Instead, once the cameras completed their initial boot process, I performed the MANUAL UPDATE using the flash card. 

GoPro support would not sway from their script. They were not interested in solving the actual cause of the problem. I am curious to know if anybody has exchanged and continued to have same problems after iPad/iPhone update. Or if anybody else has gone straight to the manual update and had success as I have. Cheers

Hiker

[ New ]

Try this... 

Go into video settings

Turn ON low light toggle

Back out to the main screen.

The next step does NOT need to be recording. In fact you do not even need a SD card in place. 

Aim the camera at a bright light, then quickly swipe the camera back and forth pointing it at the bright light, dark surface, bright light, dark surface,bright light, dark surface, bright light, dark surface,bright light, dark surface, bright light, dark surface. 

With the low light toggle ON I can cause the camera to freeze within 30 like clockwork.  Turn the low light toggle off and I completed a 2 hour woods trail run without any freezing. Seems the camera is having difficulty managing the quick change between a low light and bright light exposure. 

Of course GoPro has not accepted any issues relative to this and for those wanting to accept their offer to replace the camera have not experienced any better functionality. I'm on my 3rd camera and continue to experience freezing. YES, I have a GoPro reccomended SD card and have performed a manual update so don't go there.

If you're simply recording and have not experienced the issue, follow the instructions above to see if you to now freeze.

Tourist

[ New ]

Forget my earlier "fix" on setting Gopro 7 to 1080p resolution, ostensibly to reduce overheat problems. That resolution started freezing as well during my underwater scuba photo shoots. Looks like this is either an intermittent hardware bug, exacerbated by overheating, or a firmware issue they can't afford to fix.

Tourist

[ New ]

PS I tried manually updating the firmware but it didn't help. 

Hiker

[ New ]
Do you have Low Light setting toggled on? Toggle it off and re-test.
Hiker

[ New ]

I've had low light disabled since day 1, camera still freezes regularly.

Also if this was only related to overheating it wouldn't happen when diving which is the ideal situation for temperature management - your camera is literally water cooled with the largest heat sink in the world.

Tourist

[ New ]

I’m gonna tell y’all something and you have to listen.
As I originally elaborated to and now will state it outright, this has nothing to do with a setting
Or which mode you operate in.

The camera is flawed!
Period!
I use time-lapse
I use night lapse
1 shot every 2 seconds
1 shot every 10 seconds
I use video 4K
I use video 1080p
I use 30 FPS
I use 60 FPS
Low light on
Low light off
Reformat cars
Delete files
Pull battery
Power plugged in
Power not plugged in
Activate by app
Activate camera only
Wifi on
Wifi off
Low light on
Low light off
Etc ., etc., the list goes on and on.

The camera is freezing
The camera looses its wifi
The camera randomly stops taking pictures
But does not freeze on occasion

It does not matter what you are doing with it, where you are doing it
Or how you are doing it.
It does not matter how many cards you try,
How many cards you buy.
It does not matter if you use go pro batteries or third party
It doesn’t matter whether you pull batteries, or manually shut camera down.
Hell it doesn’t even matter whether you
Talk to it nicely, get mad as hell or have sex with an earlier version!

The bottom line is that there is something seriously wrong with this pos!
The bottom line is that we’ve been had, and they (GoPro) keep telling you your doing something wrong, gives you a lollipop and sends you on your way home to screw around with this again, pull your hair out, Miss all the shots that you bought it for,... only to be told to try something else , be given a new camera , only to again distracted again by a teddy bear and another suggestion that you “try” tjis.

COMPENSATION, BAD PRESS
is all they understand.
They could care less about fixing any problems or helping us!
We are all chumps !

Go on their face book page , other social media and start spreading the word!
Complain , complain , complain!!!!!!

Sightseer

[ New ]

I purchased this camera at Costco in February and was excited to film 4k/60FPS and using the Hypersmooth.  On my first time using the camera using the latest firmware,  I started having freezing issues and would need to remove the battery sometimes to reset.  The second time I used the camera the same thing happened.  I changed my settings for video to 4K/30FPS and the problem went away.  I am not sure if this issue is related to the 4K/60FPS setting due to increased resolution of the camera.  I love the HDR photos and how smooth the stabilization is so not sure if a firmware can be created to resolve the locking issue.  I will need to make a decision before my 90day warranty expires if I want to keep this camera or not.

Tourist

[ New ]
Here’s a simple answer to your question....
YES, return it for your money as this camera is nowhere near ready for prime time of the 400 bucks or so they ask for it!!!
Explorer

[ New ]
@quickpike88422
Thanks for telling us all what OUR experience with the camera is and how WE should behave.
Tourist

[ New ]
Just giving my opinion
Own three of these , doferent versions.
This hero 7 is nowhere near as stable as the older two I have.
If you read my earlier posts, you’ll know why.

This camera Hero7
Is not fit for sale

Sorry
My honest belief
Tourist

[ New ]

I guess GoPro doesn't care about all of their unhappy customers, their silence on this matter is deafaning.

Tourist

[ New ]

GoPro, oh GoPro, do you even care? GoPro, oh GoPro, your products cause dispare. GoPro, oh GoPro, I've given you my last dollar, GoPro oh GoPro, do you here my hollers? 

Hiker

[ New ]

If it works perfectly I consider it even at that price.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/03/26/sony-rx0-ii-4k-action-cam-flip-up-screen/

Hiker

[ New ]

And there is no official statement from GoPro regarding this issue yet? Really? Unbelievable. At least a "Sorry folks, we're aware of that and are trying to fix it, but no success so far" would be better than nothing.

Tourist

[ New ]

After fighting with this GoPro for a month I am done.. I have requested a refund from Crutchfield. Hopefully they will work with me and give me my money back even though I have none of the original packaging. This camera is a complete and total piece of garbage. It does not work as advertised. I will be buying the new Sony RX0 II.

You can take this Hero 7 Black and shove it GoPro. Your engineering, support, marketing and executive branches of your company should be ashamed for what you have done to your customers. 

~Alan

Hiker

[ New ]

I'm waiting for the return of my replacement. I also lost a camera that I couldn't locate because it was frosen.

I got a 25% discount code for a new one. But the price has increacet and I can pick up a camera over the conter at same price +/- 2%.

I tried to order one with the discount code, the price was reduced by 25% but it was impossible to proceed to the check out. So even the webpage freezes!

This was my first time with products from GoPro. I assume I'll end up with a camera from another manufacurer. Just going to try out the other camera after my travel withut GoPro since I'm still waiting for the replacement. And I do not dare to by a replacement for the lost one before I can see the new one working.

Hiker

[ New ]
My new tactic, to see how many cameras I can return in one year. I'm up to three so far. I'm going to start videoing each and every camera showing "yet another Hero going back to GoPro" then post each vid online.
Sightseer

[ New ]
My GoPro hero seven is constantly freezing. I’m constantly having to take the battery out to restart the camera. Also while I’m filming The picture freezes but yet the audio continues to record so you have a frozen picture No video being recorded only audio. I missed out on priceless footage on my snowboarding trip. Truly Irreplaceable footage from by trips.
I have updated and am using a Sun desk ultra 128 GB 10 A1.
Explorer

[ New ]
@fastsand02160
It would be much better if you could use a SD card from the recommended list from GoPro.
https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations

Ultra cards are really terrible and if you are going to use SanDisk, it should be and Extreme, Extreme Plus, or Extreme Pro. SanDisk Ultra have a long history of causing issues and being unreliable, especially in GoPro cameras.
Tourist

[ New ]

Hello, people,
Same problem here in France. Model bought in Switzerland on Mediamarkt. Same procedure given by GoPro and same result. Freeze continues after I finish filming.
I had to send it back and the new one has exactly the same problem. So I did the update manually, tested with another sd card, I even did a factory reboot... I'm going to test again tomorrow but I think there's a big problem here...