Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

Fully disappointed this time, as Go Pro 7 black is the top of the line product which is making so much problems.I also just bought a brand new 7 Black 15 days back, and it started freezing. Went to the customer service here in TH, they said firmware was not updated which they have updated now so therefore there would not be a freezing problem anymore. After two days again it was freeze. Bought new memory card which is compatible with 7 black, and still problem exists. Black 7 have already ruined one of my Diving trip, hence no idead if I can get a replacement of this peice which is still under warranty.  

Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

After wasting my time in a chat with GoPro trying to SOLVE the problem, I went to Best Buy and they exchanged both cameras yesterday. Problem solved for me. 

This time I did not allow the iPad app to update the cameras at all and instead went straight to the manual update using the flash card. I also did manual update on prior defective cameras but problems persisted. Both new cameras are recording in 4k and fill the EXACT SAME Sandisk 128gb flash cards I was using in the defective cameras without shutting down. Both cameras are recording in 1080/60 and fill the sd cards and do not turn off. Stabilization on. Plugged in to power supplies all night. No overheating. NICE.
Highlighted
Tourist

After wasting my time in a chat with GoPro trying to SOLVE the problem, I went to Best Buy and they exchanged both cameras yesterday. Problem solved for me. 

This time I did not allow the iPad app to update the cameras at all and instead went straight to the manual update using the flash card. I also did manual update on prior defective cameras but problems persisted. Both new cameras are recording in 4k and fill the EXACT SAME Sandisk 128gb flash cards I was using in the defective cameras without shutting down. Both cameras are recording in 1080/60 and fill the sd cards and do not turn off. Stabilization on. Plugged in to power supplies all night. No overheating. Both iPads on still displaying live camera feed. NICE.
Highlighted
Tourist

As someone suggested here, changing Low Light to OFF solved my GoPro freezing issues, it seems. Before that, I also tried everything, and followed the following steps:

1- format (full, not quick) approved SD cards in Windows 10 laptop

2- download latest update and copy unzipped UPDATE folder to SD card

3- factory reset GoPro

4- placing SD card with succesful update

5- format SD card again within the GoPro preferences

It can not get any 'cleaner' than that.

I tried this with 2 different approved SanDisk 64GB cards and always the same issues. Image on screen freezes frequently. I had narrowed it down that after shooting, the image mostly freezed before the 1 minute screen saver if I kept moving and turning the camera. After that, sometimes I could shoot again, and sometimes it would freeze the camera completely, having to do the 10 seconds mode button hold.

Now with Low Light OFF, I have not been able to 'provoke' any screen freeze.

I was planning to return the camera on Monday, but now will hang on to it for a while longer to do some more testing, especially after reading that other users have experienced even far worse issues with their cameras. I could live without the Low Light feature, but as said here before, this 400 EUR camera should work perfectly right out of the box with all features enabled.

I owned the Hero 4 and 5 and they served me well, without any major issues. I like this Hero 7 a lot, but these freezing issues have got me pretty worried about GoPro company's policy, allowing the release of new products with major flaws. As suggested by someone, if these are Beta versions and you want that your customers point out the hick-ups, put a BETA sticker on the box and reduce the price!

I strongly suggest to GoPro to sort this out a.s.a.p., and at least confirm that they are looking in to it.

Highlighted
Tourist

This is an issue that I think is just in how the camera is made?  As of 3/9/2019 my gopro 7 black still loves to freeze up, lag horribly or the even better option delete un selected photots and videos. Today was the final straw for me as I'm currently(after online support chat just never responded after their first message and then dropped by their troubleshooting over the phone with no call back) in the process of exchanging the camera for a new one. Good news though dont expect to get a fix anytime soon as they will do nothing in terms of sending a new one until they have gotten and processed your camera which if you have done the trade up program you know thats gunna be a while. Pretty Disappointed overall from camera functionality to some of the worst customer service I have got to experience. I hope this camera exchange fixes the issue the video that it does capture is amazing. Multipule SD cards had been purchased with the model numbers coming directly from their site, manual firmware updates and resets are the things we've tried to do to fix it. 

Highlighted
Hiker

I've had it now with that stupid thing! I wanted to record a precious moment with my daughter and that effing thing was dead again! I'm going back to using my Hero 4 and advise everyone not to buy that crappy Hero 7. 

Highlighted
Tourist

I had a hero 3 black, never an issue, not one!
Then the power charge port broke
So I thought ide update to a hero 7 black!
BIG MISTAKE!
I’ve updated so many times, pulled the battery. , formatted, changed cards, paid almost 600 bucks for this and all I hear from go pro is:
Maybe someone else on the form had had dame issue and can offer help, or, manually update.or, try a different card!

First of all
I didn’t pay somebody almost 600 bucks cdn for this friggin camera
Second I’m using the recommended card

I THINK ITS TIME GOR GOPRO TO GET OFF THIER F@#^***NG ASSES AND FIX THIS

MY FRIEND HAD A 49 dollar Chinese camera almost identical to GoPro.
Guess what
No freezing, takes any card, does most of the things this high end piece of plastic does.

No more excuses!
FIC THE PROBLEM!!

Ps I work on a boat,
Coming into st. Pierre, Michon and guess what?
Camera froze after 16 images!!!
Inacceptable garbage!

Until this is fixed
I’ll be recommending the Chinese camera over this thing!!!

Worthless and a waste of money!!!!
Highlighted
Tourist

I entirely agree with your course of action
7 is garbage