Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

I did a manual firmware re-install last night. Ran a test starting last night with these settings: 16:9, 1080/24, stabilization ON, gps OFF, protune OFF, quik start OFF, voice control OFF, autopower off NEVER.

I have two separate ipads, each connected to indvidually to one Hero7Black. When I got up this morning the 128gb card was full, 7H41M of video. Both cameras were off even though they were plugged in and had the autopower off set to NEVER. So there's a fault, although I'm happy they didn't freeze. I have not ad the solid red light since. 

Beginning testing in 4K now. I had one camera stop recording and power down after just 5minutes of 4K/30 with all other settings same as above. 

The camera seems stable at 1080, but once I go to 4k, that's where the trouble starts. 

USING SANDISK 128GB ExtremePlus 4k as recommended by GoPro. 

SanDiskExtremePLUS128gb.jpg
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

[ Edited ]

Latest tests are after succesful manual update with 1.7 firmware on both Hero7 Black units. Plugged in to usb/ac power supply.

I ran them all night connected to their own dedicated iPad 1080/30 on one, 1080/24 on the other. Screensaver-NEVER, Auto off-NEVER. They both filled the card. HOWEVER, unit #1 the screen was OFF and disconnected from the iPad. I touched the camera's touchscreen and it did not come on. It's wifi adapter was still on and as soon as I connected to it on its iPad, the unit powered right up via ipad and worked. So at least it doesn't shut off until it is finished recording, regardless, the camera failed. Had I desired the camera to be on for monitoring purposes, I would be out of luck. If I set it to NEVER shut off, that means NEVER. Needs to be adressed by GoPro. The solid red light problem has NOT happened since the manual update. 

4K tests on both Hero7 Black units -

I ran them both at 4k/30fps each connected to their own dedicated iPad. Same settings as above 1080 test except higher res. Unit#1 failed just after 9 minutes and shut down while unit#2 is still recording right now. I touched the cam screen on unit#1 to check to see if unit was on, but it was off. The unit started right up from the iPad after I reconnected to its wifi adapter (so wifi adapter is still on even though cam touchscreen was off). I went to settings, and sure enough, the NEVER setting in screensaver was reset to 1 minute. 

As I type, Hero7#2 just failed right in front of my eyes. It was just over one hour at 4K/30fps. This time the camera turned off and so is its wifi adapter. I used the power button on the camera and it powered right up. This time when I am going to connect to the wifi I am prompted for a password. It was not asking before. After waiting one minute, I was able to reconnect without a re-entering the already saved password. I presume I was just not waiting long enough for the camera's operating system to be ready. 

So once again, the cameras are stable while recording at 1080, but may shut down after the mem card is full. 

Running at 4K/30, the odds are better than 50% that the camera will shut down at some point during my recording. NOT ACCEPTABLE GOPRO. Either change your name to GoAmateur and sell them for $49.99 or fix the problem and update ASAP. 

And yes, I'm using the approved SanDisk 4K Extreme 128gb card. 

SanDiskExtremePLUS128gb.jpg
Highlighted
Tourist

You're doing much better than I am with my GoPro... If I put it in 4K resolution with Video Stabilization turned on it freezes IMMEDIATELY when the shutter button has been pressed.

Highlighted
Tourist

So many people experiencing the same problems with these cameras, i wan't to know if a genuiine fix is actually coming or just more excuses, I don't wan't to turn this off and turn that off, I wan't to use the features I bought the camera for and have it work flawlessly in every sitaution, not freeze and loose a once in a lifetime capture....

Any legitamate update on the topic from GoPro?

Highlighted
Hiker

Today it freeze on shutdown. See on the screen)

Matrix has you)

IMG_20190302_145808.jpg
Highlighted
Tourist

I have specially bought another sd card that is also in the list, but problem remains.
mem.jpg
Highlighted
Tourist

Highlighted
Tourist

Thank you for sharing. I was just looking at trying that Sandisk Extreme Pro card or the Lexar pro card. I have seen posts of people having success with 4K on Hero5 using the Lexar card. Can anybody confirm the Lexard card is working well at 4K on the Hero7Black?