Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

OK I can get the resolution up to 1080P 16:9 120 FPS with Video Stabilization on... The second I go to 4K resolutions with Video Stabilization it freezes... 

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

Hello Everyone. We appreciate your feedback and the details that you provide pertaining to the issue. There is only so much that could be done through the Hub. If you have already performed recommended troubleshooting steps, and the issue still persists, the next course of action would be to contact our Support team. This is so cases are created and documented which will then be reported to the team in-charge. We have already brought this matter to the attention of the team, and your contact with Support will help with collating relevant information. The team may be reached by phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . When you do, please have your camera and SD card information ready so you get assisted as quickly as possible. It would also help other members if you post back here so they know how things work out. Thanks!

Highlighted
Hiker

Thank you mariustanya for your answer.
It is a bit frustrating as a consumer to get always the same answer from GoPro: update manually, contact support for a replacement, when it is stated that it's not fixing the issue, that it's probably (let's hope) a firmware problem that should be fixed. I'm sure you can understand that frustration.

I already contacted the team and informed about all these problems. They finally suggested a replacement, which I know it's not going to fix the issue. But I hope the team is really checking these problems and not just saying so to keep us happy.
We all know GoPro is not having a good moment. If you don't keep your costumers happy, be sure they won't buy your devices again and will tell other to not do so. We are the last ones defending GoPro and we bought your products, so it would be smart to treat us well.

Highlighted
Explorer

I highly recommend doing an exchange if that is what the GoPro Support Team is offering. I use my HERO7 Black almost daily and have only had freezing when using a specific SanDisk Extreme v30 card (I have other SanDisk Extreme v30 and Samsung Evo Select cards that I use and don't cause freezing).

I use a variety of resolutions, frame rates, and Protune settings. I almost always have GPS, Connections and Quik Capture on and often use Voice Commands. I use the camera primarily in the UP orientation but also use Auto when using the bite mount and surfing.

I only use 64GB and 32GB cards. I always offload my media after a shoot and then format my SD card in my computer (Using Windows Explorer) and then again in the camera. I mostly use the dual charger as I often use more than one battery, but I've also charged with the camera. My cameras are all updated manually. About once a month I perform a Full format on my SD cards if they have been used extensively.

I don't get freezing. I don't get battery drain. I use my camera in various conditions mostly ranging from 30F (0C) to the low/mid 90sF (34C).

If you have tried different SD cards from the recommended list and have done a manual update, then perhaps you should exchange the camera instead of waiting for an update. At worse, you'll be out a camera for a week. If the issue persist, your in the same spot waiting for an update. But, if it doesn't happen with your new camera, then you can stop wasting time and unnecessary frustration.
Highlighted
Hiker

In my case, I'm doing a project in a daily basis, so I can't be one week without the camera, especially if it's not fixing anything. I'm also not sure if the replacement will be a new camera or a refurbished one.

One question: when you copy your files to your computer: do they keep the correct time? Mine have a problem with the time, as the timezone is not recorded it's assumed it's on UTC and then it's adding a +1 (my timezone) when copying the files. This problem has been also extensively debated here in the forums.

Highlighted
Explorer

I'll have to look at my files when I get home to tell you the time variance, but I know that if I mix GoPro footage with other cameras it doesn't match up. It's frustrating for sure, especially when doing multi cuts from different cameras shooting in one take. I've just become accustomed to using placards at the start of my videos and keeping a record of recording number of each camera when I'm doing big projects like this. It seems more time consuming and burdensome than it really is. Even if the time was right, I've gotten so used to this with flow I'd keep it up.

BTW, replacement cameras are new. They do come in a non-commercial brown box and have been tested (so there is that use), but otherwise they are brand new. The brown box confuses a lot of people. When you return your camera, you only return the camera without battery or accessories. It would be silly and wasteful if GoPro sent the camera in the marketing box.
Highlighted
Adventurer

Ask  me  in a few days time maybe a weeks time about the  H7B RMA'd I'll post u if interested  on it....

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

I believe GoPro has committed fraud. I don't want to play these support shenanigans with them. There is obviously a problem and they have obviously done nothing to resolve it.