Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Adventurer

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

[ New ]

three times.. not thecamera.   ifno resolutions found and other  pointing ut.  best to contact gopro.com about it over the phone emails do not work chat takes to long a phone call is the old way and hte fastest way

Tourist

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

[ New ]

Yep, Another one, brand new Hero7 been using for less then a week, get some good surf conditions today and bamb!, Keeps freezing!!

Search online and find this thread, obviously an issue with them, anybody on a solution yet?

Tourist

[ New ]

Since yours worked, I would suggest formatting the SD card in camera first, if that doesn't work, try a new SD card.  A few of us had no luck right out of the box, my replacement will sometimes show "SD corrupt"  but if I power cycle the camera, it reads and records just fine. 

Hiker

[ New ]

Just wanted to add another data point - I have been seeing this behavior with my Hero 6, just got a 7 and it is the same exact thing. I am using SanDisk Extreme cards, I have tried multiple cards, still getting the same issues

(I use one-button start)

What I have been seeing:

- the camera wil start recording and then locks up about 10 seconds later (doesn't save anything)

- recording will run but once you stop it, the confirmation beeps only come about maybe 30 seconds later and the file is corrupted - video will run for 10 seconds and then it freezes, only audio continues (see video below as an example from a 2-minute clip)

- I have also seen the behaviour someone mentioned before - camera just sitting on my desk, switched on, changes mode on its own... no input, the touchscreen is clean

This is extremely frustrating as I'm regularly losing footage due to these issues... I always format the SD card in the camera, camera is updated to latest FW, the issue is hard to replicate since sometimes it works just fine for an hour and then it freezes.

And don't get me started on the reliability of the wifi connection to the remote...

I find it hard to believe that I got a lemon since this is my 5th gopro and they ALL sometimes froze.. I guess it's shame on me for still buying them..

GoPro, any recommendations other than returning the camera? I honestly have very little confidence a different unit will work better...

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @jonathonr15 @plawa

A manual update should take care of the freezing issue.

https://gopro.com/update/hero7-black

Once completed, format the SD card on your camera. Preferences> Reset> Format SD Card

You may also check this article: Camera Freezes Up

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

I having the same problem as well. I have posted in Malaysia GoPro Facebook group and seems a lot people are getting this issues.

1. Extreme Pro as recommended

2. Yes I tried Lexar and Samsung, it's the same

3. I format fully using computer

4. Update and downgrade as well 1.61 and 1.51
5. Manual Update using SD card, Settings I'm using 4k 60fps and photo shotting as well, no matter what settings, it hangs.

Even factory reset does not solve this, GoPro you really have to do something on this if not this 400 bucks spent on a junk that does not work properly.

I believe you would have the issues as well.

Hiker

[ New ]
I sympathise with your issues, I am surprised that this is still causing people problems, two months plus ago I raised this and was castigated by a few folk saying it was either a memory card issue or a software issue, that worked out well eh? I purchased an Insta360 One X and straight out of the box it worked, with I may add, EVERY SINGLE micro sd card that GoPro told me was suspect working perfectly. Instead of trying to place blame onto a memory card or for folk on here to cast aspersions onto the user’s “lack of GoPro experience and familiarity”, what nonsense, it should have been addressed and resolved in a speedy manner. Oh well, not my concern anymore because I can’t see me purchasing another GoPro product in the near future.
Hiker

[ New ]

Yeah, that sucks! Not even with cheap cameras for 50 bucks I had these problems. I still believe it's a hardware issue which cannot be resolved easily.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @bompelbob,

Try to reset the camera first to factory settings and update the firmware manually.

You should be using a recommended SD card as well and that should fix the problem.

-Jay 

Hiker

[ New ]

I did that, I'm using approved cards, I'm still having issues where the camera freezes and corrupts files.

What's the next step? Obviously I am not the only one with the issue....

Explorer

[ New ]

@plawa If factory reset, manual update, and switching to another SD card off of the list of tested cards didn't fix your issue, you will want to exchange the camera where you purchased it.  If it was from GoPro, or if it's beyond the return time from the store where you bought it, then contact the GoPro Support Team.  You can contact them via phone or chat.

Tourist

[ New ]
I’m facing the same problem few week back..had claim a warranty and got a brand new gopro but the still have the same issue..

come on..it’s the flagship product or so call gimbal killer..please fix the problem or else it’s will be call the gopro killer..
Hiker

[ New ]
Same issue on me. I have two pro 7 black. Both of them the screen is freeze on stand by mode after upgrade to new firmware.There is now SD card problem. Both camera is same problem. The version 01.61 is sure got problem... there is no solution downgrade to old version.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @xunaoo,

Sorry to know that.

May I know the brand and model of the SD card you're using?

Have you tried resetting the camera to factory settings and turn it on without SD card.

Please let us know.

Thanks,

-Jay

Hiker

[ New ]

sandisk 32G extreme pro & sandisk 64G extreme.

so what is next?

Hiker

[ New ]

sd cards are both sandisk 32G extreme pro & 64G extreme.

it happend only in standby mode after recorded an video. withou sd card there is no way to do recording that means there  is no fteeze issue.

i notice that after recorded an video there still have some thread running on the background and when the camera changed it's view between portrait and  landscape mode the some thread is make its view crach even i set the view mode as "up".

Hiker

[ New ]

hi @jayr3438

sd cards are both sandisk 32G extreme pro & 64G extreme.

it happend only in standby mode after recorded an video. withou sd card there is no way to do recording that means there  is no fteeze issue.

i notice that after recorded an video there still have some thread running on the background and when the camera changed it's view between portrait and  landscape mode the some thread is make its view crach even i set the view mode as "up".

Tourist

[ New ]

Mine too! BRAND NEW!!

Bought it for Christmas, and just opened it last week, went to chicago for New Year, and every single time I wanted to record something, it would freeze, or not even turn on. Had to remove the battery and turn it back on at least 17 times in a 3 days trip. It is SO FRUSTRATING.

I had read all the issues after I bought the camera (Big mistake), and try to prevent them by installing all the recommended updates. But the same issue than all the users here.

I'm using the same microSD card that comes with the Camera sold directly by GoPro in its website "SanDisk Extreme® 64GB microSDXC™".

The last day of my trip, I didn't want to record S**T because of the frustrating experience.

I had different GoPro cameras in the past. 3 Silver, 3 Black, 4 Silver, 4 Black. And now that I decided to upgrade to a camera with newer features, the User Xperience has been dissapointing.

Don't know if return it, wait for an update...

Hiker

[ New ]
That must have been so frustrating and disappointing, I feel your pain, on a trip like that you just want stuff to work, I hope they resolve this issue soon, it’s not good enough.
Tourist

[ New ]

Updated my firmware over the weekend and now I'm having the freezing problems as well, which started today?

I believe I know what it is however.

Just call me a "hipster" - I mean literally, I shoot my videos from the hip.

I'm a Street Photographer; I walk around snapping; rarely do I use the screen, frankly I prefer to COVER it w/3D printed opaque cover.

I wish there was a setting to TURN THE DISPLAY OFF while recording after a timeout!   Please GoPro, make a setting where I can tap the power button to turn screen on/off AND/OR 5 second screen off timer - I appreciate your support!

Being that I don't use the display, the first setting I turn on is LOCK, as I don't want my fingers, as I hold the camera down near my waist to trigger any setting changes (did I mention I'd prefer the screen to be OFF??)

At times I just don't want it to be known that I'm recording - a lot happens in the big city and it's nice to have a camera to capture it all! 

The GoPro is perfectly stealthy, fits my bill nicely, except for that **bleep** ALWAYS ON SCREEN - again, please consider a setting to allow me to turn it off when recording (and save me some battery life in the process)...

What I noticed today, being new to the Hero 7 Black and getting used to it, compared to the 3 Black I had prior, was adjusting how to hold it - my finger tips were constantly touching the screen, triggering the "screen locked, slide down from top..."  message on the display as I was adjusting my grip on the camera.

Depending on what I'm shooting sometimes I'll hold the camera horizontally in front of me (covering my belt), or long edge down / vertical, arm down by my pants pocket (You just won't find me out there filming and looking at the screen like other peope do; I do sometimes, but it's very RARE).

The first freeze I had noticed today was the screen had rotated vertically where the "slide down" text message was frozen on the screen - I was pressing the record button but not seeing the red blinking dot - WTH??   Holding in the power button eventually turned off the camera.

I immediately changed the setting to prevent screen rotations based on camera orientation!  That didn't help, as it eventually froze again.

After about 3-freezes today, I got the IMPRESSION that my fingers, while holding the camera, constantly triggering the screen was what caused the camera to freeze!??

Not sure what the camera has to do while a locked screen is being pressed, but perhaps getting 4-10 taps in rapid succession (multiple fingers at a time too) is causing some code somewhere to crash??

If i gingerly held the camera by its body w/my finger tips not touching the screen at all, the camera "behaved" as expected, but once my fingers started randomly touching the screen w/the lock message coming and going, it would eventually freeze again w/the same swipe to unlock message stuck on the screen.

I had swore I would never buy a GP again after the record button on my 3-black eventually went wonky (multiple press / debounce problems, etc.) 

I'm kinda expecting the same to eventually happen again with the 7-Black, but I had to try the newly touted "silky smooth" stabilization.

So far when I snapped some 60fps hyper smooth clips, I have to admit they're looking great compared to all my other cameras - I didn't however plan on these FREEZING problems....

I'm hoping this gets resolved, as I have about 3-weeks left with my return window...

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi. Similar issue was reported on a different topic. There is a hotfix for this issue... until it gets fixed.

https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/The-firmware-version-01-61-is-making-screen-freeze-on-standby...

Tourist

[ New ]

There is now an update 1.7, problem is still not solved.

Tourist

[ New ]

just did a manual udate and seems workin ok will give it a test drive tomorrow and post back the outcame after the update. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Just did a manual udate and seems workin ok will give it a test drive tomorrow and post back the outcame after the update. 

Hiker

[ New ]

I also have this issue, but not sure if exactly the same and couldn't find it on the search.
My GoPro freezes usually when standby. Sometimes I just turn it on, to have the camera ready for action, without recording. When I want to record, I check the screen and the image was frozen time ago, not seeing it live anymore (again, without recording). Changing to photo mode gives a black screen for a while, sometimes that fixes it and sometimes that freezes the gopro completely. Usually the faster way is to turn it off -- when I can, as sometimes it's unresponsive and I have to remove the battery.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @sunnytree76323 @ragnor

How was the update done?

If it was not done manually, please try updating the camera that way.

1. Go to the Update page and choose your HERO7 camera.
  2. Under "Other ways to update" at the base of the page, click "Update your camera manually."
  3. Enter your Serial Number and other requested information, click Next Step.
  4. Click "Download Update."
  5. Click "Click here to download firmware."
  6. Follow the steps on the screen for detailed instructions for your operating system

In addition to this, make sure you are using on of the recommended SD cards.

You can also check this article: Camera Freezes Up

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

i have done a manual update, after a recording, in stanby mode freezes camera if you do a lot of moves. found in forum if you switch off the automatic low light, it is solved. i did it and is true. Hopefully in next update solved because it is annoying for an expensive device, and this problem has been known for some time.

Hiker

[ New ]

Same goes for me: manual updates done already, and the problem persists. I will try switching off the low light setting.

Tourist

[ New ]

Im new at gopro, went and get my hero 7 black first two days with recomended sd card 32GB SanDisk Extreme V30 UHS-I

work fine but went and get a 128 sd card to shoot more futage thats when my freezing problem started. Did a manual uodate nothig seems to work untill I went back to my 32 gb sd card all went back to normal .  

Hiker

[ New ]
I think that maybe a card issue, does the Hero 7 accept a card of that size storage? If it does then I’d be looking at whether the card is genuine.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @grayriver53241 and @boldsand34481. The HERO7 Black works with SD cards with up to 256 GB capacity, but only for a select  brand and classification based on tests that led to this list https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations . Checking if the 128-GB card is authentic , and if it is the recommended one will help isolate the cause of the freezing. Let us know what you find out. Thanks!

Tourist

[ New ]
Mine often times won't start after I've turned it off. I have to remove the battery to get it to start. It does record, but sometimes with voice commands it will freeze. Long press on the power has resolved freezing due to actions taken while powered on, but only battery removal for freezing while "off".
GoPro

[ New ]

HI @craigm6786

See if re-flashing the software will correct the issue. https://gopro.com/update/hero7-black

Let us know how it goes.
You may also reach out to our Support Team for assistance.
https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
@aragon1006 did that before coming here... Unfortunately no resolve.
Hiker

[ New ]

I have same issue. It present for all versions of firmware.

It really very annoying bug!

SD Card: Samsung 64GB Pro+

Tourist

[ New ]

This issue has nothing to do with the current or past firmware or updating the firmware.

Nor does it have anything to do with the SD card.

The primary issue is the **bleep**ty software from GoPro, which rather than rectifying, GoPro chose to ignore and work on launching new cameras to increase sales and profit.

GoPro, get your act together, resolve this issue with a proper software update, don't give us stupid SD card and firmware excuses here.

Tourist

[ New ]
Absolutely agree! I've reported the issue, others have as well, v1.70 update still same issue. I installed one of the supposedly accepted Samsung EVO 128 gig cards and turned back on Auto Low Light, turned on camera, about a minute later when ready to record, it was frozen on a screen of the last thing it saw - pulled out that card (oh well), turned off the Auto Low Light, and put back in my 256 gig SanDisk - issue gone with Auto Low Light turned off... Stop telling us to check that our memory cards are on your list! I'm hearing they're going to add that list to the end of the 10 Commandments come late 2020... FIX your firmware!
Tourist

[ New ]

The 128 gig sd card is the recommended by GoPro and the 256gig as well . Some of my issues I keep on getting are over heating , repairing your file and stop recording untill i have to turn it off and back on again .  some times it works fine for severa hours then it stars acting up . i haven't had a single day wit no issues. I was about to retur it to best buy 02-07 was my last day to take it back for a refund but lost my window . but at the same time I'm hopping GoPro fixes all this issues befor my jounges son's b-day in 2 months  .

over heating normally occure when connected topower and with the 256 gig sd card. 

Sightseer

[ New ]

I have same issue with my new GoPro Hero 7 - constantly freezes and every time i have to remove battery for reset. Who know when GoPro will release new software and fix that issue ? Now i have newest 1.70 I see here that there is a lot of people with this problem so it is big fail fo GoPro :((((
GOPRO YOU HAVE TO FIX THAT ISSUE. SOON AS POSSIBLE !

Tourist

[ New ]

I bought my Hero 7 black in december 2018 at the airport just before I flew off to Japan. updated the firmware to 1.61 (was 1.61 then) and I had constant freezing issue. I thought could be the cold weather in Japan and multiple times I had to press power button and force shutdown which caused me to miss out on so much filming opportunities.

Throughout my 3 weeks in Japan I kept checking for new firmware update without fail every night and nothing new. I had to endure the constant freezing issue or had to keep my recording on for those "just in case moments"

Long story short, through out the 3 weeks I stumbled upon a temporary solution. My GoPro frozed in video idle mode, I press the power button once or twice to switch into photo or time lapse mode, after a few seconds it unfreeze itself as it refreshes for that particular mode. All was well until it froze again when it is not recording.

Like I said it was a temporary solution, sometimes performing that trick one too many times and completely froze, so I had to remove the battery and get it restarted.

Now I am back in the tropics of Singapore and it still freeze. After updated to latest 1.7 it still has the same problem but the trick works. Hope it helps for some of you facing this problem!

My settings
1080 60 frames

Linear mode

protune turned off

landscape lock: up

I am using Samsung Evo Plus 256GB UHS-I

Hiker

[ New ]
It was early October last year when I first brought this up, that there are still people having to endure this nonsense beggars belief, the flagship camera of this range and it is not doing what it says on the box EVERY SINGLE TIME WITHOUT PROBLEMS is a joke, GoPro, your brand is suffering and I cannot fathom how comfortable you appear to be with this.
Sightseer

[ New ]

Same problem here (last firmware)

I lost to record important moments.

Very Bad GoPro!!!

Tourist

[ New ]

I just baught my GP7 black this sayurday. And I have the same issues Freeeeze all the time. Idont know what to do ... return and stop or wait for a new version of firmware ...

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @peterm8643,

Sorry to know that.

I would suggest to try to follow recommended Steps like updating the camera manually.

https://gopro.com/help/articles/how_to/software-update-instructions-for-hero7-cameras

If issue persist please contact our customer support team:https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Regards,

-Jay 

Hiker

[ New ]

THAT's exactly what it's frustrating.
It's like you're not even listening to us. You're treating it as it is an isolated problem with a few devices. It's a common problem with the firmware, so you should fix it, no just try to replace if for a refurbished unit that will have again the same problem, just to wait the consumer to get tired and stop trying.

I contacted Gopro support and told them about all these problems. And even though they were receptive and told me they would communicate these problems with the team, they told me to use the warranty to change it for a different one.

THAT's not the problem guys. The problem is that you're firmware is broken. FIX IT, and listen to the consumers. Not having your consumers happy is a way to go bankrupt.

Hiker

[ New ]

I'm not even sure if it's a software or hardware problem. But what I can say is that it keeps happening with a replacement camera with different batteries, firmware versions and sd cards. Something has to be done here.

Hiker

[ New ]
Did you try disabling Low Light setting?
That worked for me.
Tourist

[ New ]
So I Returned my GoPro to the Apple store and you know what ... no problem with the new one. For the moment no freeze, no bug. I hope it will stay like that.
Tourist

[ New ]

It's like Ragnor posted above DISABLE AUTO LOW LIGHT setting for now and that should solve the freezing issue until GoPro decides to actually care about it's customers and reputation, and FIX the bug (OR disable and REMOVE the Auto Low Light setting!)

Tourist

[ New ]
No freezing issues here since I did the manual update only issue is it’ll overheat when connected to vehicle power have not try to record when I’m home and plug to electric outlet