Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

[ New ]

I repeatedly have to remove the battery to get the camera to respond, this is extremely dissapointing and frustrating, we are talking the flagship model of this series here, thanks in advance.

GoPro

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

[ New ]

Hi @boldsand34481

What SD card are you using?

Does the camera freeze while recording or even on stand by mode?

Kindly try to update the camera manually. https://gopro.com/update

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

Re: Hi my brand new hero 7 black constantly freezes after first switch on and update,

[ New ]
I have similar issues. Two times it froze while being in standby, it showed zero life signs, had to remove the battery to turn it on again. Tried night timelapse photo, froze on 649 photo. I have "Samsung EVO Plus UHS-I U3 128 GB".
Hiker

[ New ]

Hi, I am using a 64 GB Sandisk Extreme as shown below, the exact same card as recommended by GoPro, every time I pull the batt out to unfreeze when I put it back in the screen shows my settings, protune and such, but as soon as I press the shutter button to start recording or I use the app to start recording or take a photo the camera freezes, every time, no exceptions, getting real tired.

IMG_0628 64 GB.jpg
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @bluedawn44862 and @boldsand34481

Sorry to hear about the trouble. If the issue still persists even if you have already manually updated your cameras, the next path forward would be to get in touch with our Support team for further troubleshooting steps. Yo can connect with them through phone or chat here https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Let us know how it works out. Other members who might be having the same issue will find it helpful. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Hiker

[ New ]
I spoke on phone with support and was told it was probably a bad update so update again manually. This is the result-I went into the support page and when I entered my details they were already there, I had downloaded the update folder on Saturday so it would not let me in, the recaptcha software wouldn’t take me to the next step. I went into my downloads and it was still there unused from Saturday so I formatted the card and installed the update folder onto it. I ejected the card and installed it into camera. The camera did not automatically start the update so I had to turn camera on. It told me update was successful so I tried to start video and it froze again. The exact same as has been since the first minute, no change whatsoever. I picked this camera up on Saturday, charged the battery while driving, did the initial update, drove fifty miles to film a location, got there, camera froze. Wasted journey. Was told by everyone on forum, “it’ll be the sd card” although card had been used to record 4Kvideo with no problems. Ok, bought a brand new higher spec card today and guess what? Exact same problem, I’m afraid I have came to the end of my patience with this camera, it is being returned tomorrow. Cheers, Bill.
Tourist

[ New ]

Having exact same issue. Ugh. 

The only reply anyone says is: what kind of card are you using? lol.

I have a brand new sandisk card v30 64gb A1 

My GoPro7 has not yet recorded one second of a clip since I opened it new.

MULITPLE manual updates, I've tried everything.

Hiker

[ New ]
Yeah it’s so frustrating, likewise I haven’t recorded one second of video or one single still image, I’m getting sick of troubleshooting a flagship camera that hasn’t worked out of the box, that’s not my job, that is what quality control is for, do GoPro not test these units before they release them?
Tourist

[ New ]

I just opened on I got from gopro with the U3 card they sent, updated it through the desktop app, and am having the same issue.  I got the manual update as well, extracted it the root fo the SD card, but it does not appear to even attempt to udate.  I ran through the factory, and settings resets.  I can write to the SD fine on my laptop, but I have to wait until later to try another card, they are not with me.   I hope we can find a fix, I don't want to wait to get it repaired.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @michaell6877

After extracting the UPDATE folder from the downloaded UPDATE.zip folder, was it the UPDATE folder that you copied to your SD card, or the files inside it? If you would be able to trace back the steps and do them again, please make sure that it is the UPDATE folder that you copy to the SD card. There is a step that we found confusing on the manual update instructions and the team is working on getting it corrected. Let us know how the camera performs once you test it again. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Highlighted
Hiker

[ New ]
This is utterly unacceptable, I’m flabbergasted as to how GoPro can think this is anywhere near where a camera should be straight out of the box.
Adventurer

[ New ]
GoPro the cards offered are 60 mb write speed. Also what is the minimum write speed allowed. One of GoPro team said 78mb in 4k. That did not answer the question. What is the minimum speed required to work on the GoPro no issues and that may help some of the new people.
Tourist

[ New ]

UPDATE:

After trying everything, I returned the GoPro7 Black back to Target (although I ordered online). They exchanged it beautifully.

Came home, updated, yada yada yada and this one is working perfectly. So far.

Note: HUGE advantage of ordering from target or walmart over amazon or gopro....if something goes wrong after you get it, at least you can walk into a store and get it handled on the spot.

Tourist

[ New ]

UPDATE*** still broken-  Turing off stabilization and it started recording, but there is still gltiches in the recorded video.  I turned off everything, gps, voice, wifi, etc, the only changes that worked was the formats with stabilization turned off, this card is a A1 rate class v30, but I will try another one just to be sure. 

Any tips on getting the manual update to re-flash after it was updated with quick?  I have copied the files to the root of the SD card, but it boots up normally.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @michaell6877

Make sure to copy the extracted folder to your SD card.

Your SD card should have the UPDATE folder not just the files inside.

This should initiate the update once the SD card is back on the camera.

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]
I did this yesterday again, the folder was loaded onto the card, card inserted into camera, update accepted and told me it was installed successfully and then pressed the shutter button and froze. This has been the script since Saturday, how can some cameras be operational out of the box and mine isn’t? Doesn’t this say something is far from right? Does anyone at GoPro care?
GoPro

[ New ]

Sorry to know that @boldsand34481,

Please contact our customer support team for better assistance. 

They can check that you. 

You may contact them via phone or chat. 

https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Regards,

-Jay 

Hiker

[ New ]
Yeah this was after speaking on the phone to support yesterday, I’m still at the same place as I was before. Although a lot more frustrated.
Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks EJ, I wasn't following the instructions correctly, I copied them in the folder and it did update again, unforuntately it did not change the freezing behaviour with stabilization enabled.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @michaell6877

Please try to contact our customer support team. 

So that you'll know what will be their decision. 

Thanks,

-Jay 

Nomad

[ New ]

I must be the luckiest GoPro-er ever.

Years using many of them from the 3 onward, I just don't run into these issues. 

Not saying in this case, but very, very often there are confused users that are not interested in the learning process.   You cannot learn to operate these cameras and produce, process, and edit the files with say 15 seconds of effort.  

I would not be shocked to look over a box of returned GoPros and find they are either fine or easily straightened back out.  

In an low attention span era, they require a high attention span to first get used to them, and then get the very best results out of. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Stanely, I can assure you this is more than a mis-use error, at the very least a new camera out of the box with the included supported sdcard, should be able to be charged, and hit record, and it you know, RECORDS.  The symptoms between users are exact, and may be pointed to a QC issue maybe with a few cameras, I know of at least 10 people who have perfectly good working 7's already, plus probably 50 youtubers already reviewing it :)

Explorer

[ New ]
Manufacturing issues do happen. Luckily GoPro is very good about exchanges. Sometimes though, we also can't overlook that SD cards can also have manufacturer defects. If possible, please try another card off the recommended list. If a second card and manual update don't resolve the issue, notify the GoPro Support Team and they will exchange it. If you purchased from a store, and not GoPro's web page, see if you can exchange it there first.

Best of luck.
GoPro

[ New ]

Sorry to know that @michaell6877,

Please try to raise that concern to our customer support team.

They might be able to help. 

Regards,

-Jay 

Adventurer

[ New ]

gopro  gave you  the card, could you tell me do not bother to use a phot etc what is your write speed?

Tourist

[ New ]

I spoke with support and it is going to be a RMA, which means I won't have it for this weekend, which I had plans to use it for.  I have a few of the same SD cards that gopro sent (san disk 64 U3/v30 A1) and I got the same results with those. 

Look at the artifacts I was getting when it would record without stabilization. (attachment)

glitch.JPG
Hiker

[ New ]

Hi there, this is the latest update result, and to answer a question regarding user incompetence, I have been using cameras, film for more decades than I care to remember, and digital cameras since 2003, and not once have I had one that failed to give me a second of video or a single still image five days after first powering it on. I too have the flickering artefact before pressing record, shown below. Sorry, won't let me post the screen recording  mp4 so here is a jpeg showing artefact.

sreen rec 001.jpg
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @boldsand34481,

Please contact our customer support team.

They can assist you. 

Regards,

-Jay 

Tourist

[ New ]
This is sad.... so far I have owned 3 heros and 2 out of 3 had freezes issue. :( Got the RMA numbers and will send it out as soon as possible. :(
Tourist

[ New ]

...from Italy (Rome) i have the same problem : freez time Man Sad

i'm going to call my support (gocamera.it

in italian : mi si blocca dopo pochi secondi, porca puttana troia

Hiker

[ New ]

After speaking on phone with support on Monday I still experienced the same issues as I had from minute one with this camera. I then bought more micro SD cards because I foolishly believed support when they told me my issues were card related. These made no difference whatsoever. I was told again on support hub to contact customer support which I did on Thursday, again was told the cards were the problem despite all cards being on the GoPro accepted cards list. I bought another card, the fastest I could get my hands on and have just reset the camera again, formatted SD card, again, downloaded update, again, put it into camera, again, and guess what? The camera freezes instantly. Again. This is the worst I have ever been treated by a camera company in my life, I have been using digital cameras for fifteen years and I have never been made to feel that issues arising with a brand new camera, a flagship model no less, are my fault, or that other companies' products are to blame, I have lost all faith in your product and I will be making my feelings known to anyone who will listen, I feel I have been treated appallingly by your company, seven days I've had this paperweight and not one millisecond of video has been recorded, and I'm up to my ankles in micro SD cards so thanks for that, cost me a fortune.

Adventurer

[ New ]

I hear you. sept 27th to Oct 27th you have a  30 day return from Gopro if gopro was the place of purchase. use it.   Uncertain if you exchange and  have the option of 30 more or till the date you first purchasse as well as if how they send out tehir   exchange to you, certain it will be container open box new camera .

For the sd card, that now looks more  like Hardware, your Sensor. if no sd card is in does it  happen as well.

Hiker

[ New ]
No I didn’t buy from GoPro, as soon as I remove the battery to unfreeze and remove SD card the camera doesn’t freeze but has artefacts across the screen, flickering blocks of pixels that are sometimes RGB and sometimes blocks of white, my last post was an accumulation of frustration and anger at yet another fruitless endeavour with another brand new SD card, really annoying when you’ve been looking forward to using a piece of equipment and it thwarts you.
Adventurer

[ New ]

Well I   tested mine and found it faulty in otehr ways I did not hesitate to return so rather  be upset  Iam happy, I then will repurchase  later.   not all gopros work. not most have troubles.  sounds like  what you said you were correctly hooked up and all. and need to getthis camera back to the Retailer and get a new one .

Hiker

[ New ]
Yeah I think you’re right
Adventurer

[ New ]

The camera must work out of the box it is not.  I charge the battery go t othe retailer and open the new one on the spot in front and  test out.   but  Iam sure we buy things today all online and  well that we must wait on....

keep the site   updated..

FIsh

Hiker

[ New ]
Yeah unfortunately it was online, the joys of modern commerce, I will, thanks for your input Fish.
Adventurer

[ New ]

You are quite Welcomed. I  contac tthe Online and see what that exchange offers.... Even if you got to call tehm.

FISH

Hiker

[ New ]

As an update, I have tried numerous cards in this "camera", all of which are the same spec, make and model of the card GoPro include in the box when they supply the card, and two which are the class above, not one miilisecond of recorded video in the two weeks I've had this product, and not a single word from GoPro on how to resolve this other than blaming sd cards;  for the past eight days I haven't heard a thing. Awesome.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @boldsand34481

If you have tried it with a recommended card and it's still the same, please do a follow up on your case with our Support Team.

Reference your case number when you get in touch with them.

Thanks!
Ej

Hiker

[ New ]
Hi there,
An RMA was setup for me by support which I’m very grateful for however because it would take another two weeks maybe more to get a camera returned to me I have returned the unit to the online vendor and hopefully get a replacement in the next few days, thanks to everyone who offered help and advice, I really want to use one of these so looking forward to getting my hands on it again.
GoPro

[ New ]

Please keep us posted @boldsand34481,

Hoping for best result.

Regards,

-Jay 

Hiker

[ New ]
Will do, thanks!
Tourist

[ New ]
Format SD inside GoPro cam
Sightseer

[ New ]

Same here, the most anoying issue I have ever experienced. I was sooo angry when it happened as I was using camera during snorkeling. And of course I was not able to fix it removing/inserting the battery in water... 

Quality of video and image are excellent, but this issue... just ruins all advantages of the camera. 

Explorer

[ New ]
Update coming in early December. Should address this issue. Make sure you are using a recommended SD card and perform a manual update. If it happens frequently, try a different card if you can.
Sightseer

[ New ]
Can’t wait on the new firmware update for the much needed FIX, hopefully!!! I have overheating/shutdown issues with my current GP hero 7 blk and the camera already is a replacement device under warranty. Also, from time to time the screen resets itself to photo mode on its own—SUPER WEIRD!!! The whole camera gets really hot within 10 mins. regardless of what settings are used for recording, where the lens area gets the hottest in particular.
I only use supplied OEM GP battery & an OEM GP one purchased from Best Buy. While I am using the latest Sandisk extreme plus 128gb (170/90mb), the camera has been updated to the latest v1.51 firmware version. The camera that was returned had additional issues like turning unresponsive, getting stuck on Screen-off but LED’s on state and intermittent shutting down.
Despite all the frustration & bad experience with GP, I find the customer service reps.very helpful. I wish I could say the same about the replacement device/process; it took 2 weeks to receive a replacement device with less issues.
Sightseer

[ New ]

Hi all.  I was having the same issue with freezing until I saw someone say to format your card in camera.  I did that and now the camera is working.  I will test some more but so far no freezing.  

Sightseer

[ New ]

My Gopro does the same and on yop of it all it switches itself off as well. I took it back to shop where I bought it from and they will exchange it. They will not regund me even if the problem continue with the next camera. I buy the top of the range in the Hero range then I expect to get a camera that is working or I need my money back. This is my third Gopro and the first time that I am not happy with the product. Please help me solve this problem. 

Explorer

[ New ]

@bluesand78876

1. What SD card are you using? 
  2. Have you tried a different card? 
  3. Did you format the card (FULL in the computer and then again in the camera)? 
  4. Did you update the firmware? 
  5. Did you run a manual update? What settings are you using?

I have three Hero7 Black cameras and have none of these issues.  However, there is a new update that is coming our in December that should rectify any issues that you are experiencing.  It's very important that you use a good SD card off of this list https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations

When you get your new camera, do not turn it on.  Charge the battery for 1-2 hours using a wall charger and disconnect.  Download the manual update to your computer.  Extract the UPDATE folder to your computer.  Using a USB/SD adapter, insert your SD card into your computer.  Perform a FULL (not Quick) format of the SD card.  Copy and paste the UPDATE folder (not UPDATE.zip) onto the card.  Right click and Eject the SD card and then insert it into your camera.  Turn the camera on and allow the update to complete.  On the camera, go into preferences>Reset and format the SD card.  Go Back into Preferences>Reset and Factory reset the camera.  Go through the on camera set up process and you should be fine.