Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Hero9 Hypersmooth low light test... Still not as it should be.

[ New ]

Hello here is a little A little GoPro Hero9 Black Low Light Test.

Still having some Bost Hypermooth issues but it's much better than my first attempt...

I would say I'm not satisfied totally and I've spent two days trying settings, reading forums worldwide and watching videos.

I'm still within the 30 days return period so if GoPro doesn't fix it i will surely return the Hero9 soon. It's a shame as the camera has got a big potential.

Bike:2020 Trek Procaliber 9.6Front Wheel:XR 1700 SPLINE 29 - 25 MM CL 15/110 MMRear WheelXR 1700 SPLINE 29 - 25 MM CL 12/148 MM SHIMANOFront tyre:Maxxis High...
Nomad

Re: Hero9 Hypersmooth low light test... Still not as it should be.

[ New ]
I shot this earlier and I feel like the video quality is soft and just a little off. I need to do specific test but I think it’s definitely an issue with Hypersmooth and maybe Linear+HL.

https://youtu.be/5em_u7mU5Ng
Hiker

[ New ]
I tried any settings and the issue seems to be even worst when you use the boost feature. Even in your video i can see that.
Nomad

[ New ]
Another thing about shooting in low light is the lower the light the worse the footage will be with Hypersmooth. So if you’re in low light don’t go above Hypersmooth “On”. Also shoot in 24-30fps @ 1600iso to allow the most light to come into the sensor.
Hiker

[ New ]

@superbigtwig 

Yes are the setting i'm using but with the bost seems the camera can't match perfecty the frames so became wobbling and shaky... I tried many different settings mixing them with no good result at the moment... 

Thanks for your time guys!

Tourist

[ New ]

Hey, what's exactly the problem ? Can you tell a time in your video for an example ?
For me it looks pretty good with this lighting conditions.
I saw some jitter, blur when you went through the tunnels but otherwise it looked okay to me.
But there will be no difference from Hero 8 to Hero 9 or Hero 10 or which ever version if they don't use a bigger sensor to utilize the light better.
Don't know if you have heard about ReelSteady a software to stabilize GoPro footage via GPS Data.
You can get better results with it compared to Hypersmooth because it can use your CPU Power and has the full GPS Data so it knows where the camera will turn in the future.
But even with ReelSteady you get those kinda bad results if you have low light footage.
In low light situations with limited max ISO the camera has to raise the exposure time this will result in motion blur in the single images and Hypersmooth or any other EIS can't work well with motion blur.
You have to keep a low exposure time for a good working stabilization.
So you can use ISO, EV and Exposure time to get better results, that's all.
But i think ISO above 1600 and you will get super grainy footage. I you haven't tried it already, do EV -1 so it will raise the exposure time a bit later but you have to check if it's not too dark and if you still have information in the shadows if you do some post processing.
You could also try different exposure settings and lock them but i think you will need at least 1/200 or 1/240 for perfect results and the cam has only the option to regulate ISO with locked exposure time.
You will probably have good stabilization but the footage will be too dark.
I think in this situation you have to choose between a rock and a hard place. With those tiny sensors it's just not possible to get perfect results in low light conditions, and they won't be able to fix it with an update until they create a new way of EIS without the need of clear pixels.

You said you read a lot and watched a lot of videos, i'm sorry if you knew all this already and i wasted your time but that's all the problems i could see in your video.

Hiker

[ New ]
Many thanks for your time i really appreciate it.

Everything you wrote is what I understood after all my research. In the video seems not so bad as you said but with the boost option on i’ve had lots of issues

Here is a sample:

https://youtu.be/qqJRTHTLaeI

In this video the ambient light was not that bad...

Yesterday i went for another ride and with the settings you wrote and wide lens intead of superwide here are the results:

https://youtu.be/yw3zeNp9GDw

Manu thanks! Hope to get soon the max mod lens so i can use again the superview with the horizon level.
Backpacker

[ New ]

hi,

better and better!

I made some 3200 and 6400 ISO tests in the living room in the evening - 3200 can be used, 6400 has too much color noise.

https://youtu.be/m8euFEQg37A

under the bridge is low light and very bumpy, but stabilization was good.

I let the dove's flight....just for fun.

4k25fps SuperView, hypersmooth 3.0 = on (no boost), all rest as default (iso max=1600)

https://youtu.be/MkFmtoEimAs

from my experience what influence the stabilization:

1. crisp frames
    • the equivalent shutter to be 1/100, 1/200 
      • in auto to have enough ISO the shutter not to drop below
      • manual shutter
      • EV -1
      • exposure control
  2. scenery
    • best when you have a wide-open scene, a horizon like
    • if in the woods, the passing by trees and the continuous changing horizon (only a narrow trail in the front) is not helping the software to "anchor" the image
    • in the night when street lights, these are "jumping" unless the shutter is fast
    • also in the night, even at headlamp light, not too much image details
  3. lens - a SuperView has narrow margins between the cropped image and the entire sensor
    • the narrow the FOV, the best hypersmooth
    • for 9, that has boost on all combination resolution/fps/lens, should not be an issue - still for heavy movements could count

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks for the samples.

Yeah, the boost mode, i think if you have bad conditions you will get even worse results with boost because it tries to force a stable image but it's not possible with blurry images and the effects that makes everything look bad will be stronger.
It's made for strong shaking, it can't compensate bad lighting or settings because the only difference is that it crops more so it has more room to rearrange the images.

Your first example is really extreme and like you said the lighting conditions are not that bad. Do you know which Settings you used ? Because the amount of motion blur is crazy.
Just pause the playback on different situations and look at the stills for a good result you should see nearly no motion blur in the images.
Here are some examples from your first sample.
2020-09-28_10h04_00.png

2020-09-28_10h04_34.png

2020-09-28_10h04_52.png

2020-09-28_10h05_06.png

And now let's compare this to some stills from your second sample. I tried to find the darkest situations.

2020-09-28_10h29_35.png

2020-09-28_10h30_12.png

2020-09-28_10h30_31.png

2020-09-28_10h31_20.png

2020-09-28_10h32_00.png
I think there's not much to say about it because the difference is obvious.

Here are two little GIFs that shows how EIS works now let's imagine that the Star Trek crew would walk around and there would be some motion blur involved in every single image. Let's think about someone running from left to right, so we have a sideways motion blur in his movement and the EIS tries to compensate up and down movements so there will be an up and down offset.
It's hard to explain but it's like trying to do a straight left to right brush stroke and someone is moving the paper around really fast.
It will smear your stroke.

Image-Stablization-GIF.gif

Image-Stablization-GIF.gif

In my opinion everything looks like it's supposed to be. Like i said if you have a lot of motion blur in your stills boost will make it worse because the offset to compensate the shakes is even bigger.

And for the max lens mod, it's only a lens, nothing will change in your cameras software so you won't be able to use superview with HL but maybe you just mean that you will have a wider FOV with the max lens mod even when using Linear + HL.

If you really want that afternoon lighting footage to look perfectly smooth you need to use a gimbal or find the perfect settings and raise the exposure in post processing.

I think sample 2 looks really good and tbh we probably should stop "pixel peeping", except sample 1, the results are amazing if you compare it with the footage without Hypersmooth.
When i was really looking for jitter and blur i found it everywhere in videos on youtube even in the greatest clips from the big youtube guys especially in mountainbiking.
But when you just watch the clip and enjoy it, you won't really realize a bit of background jitter it's just when we look at our own footage we just recorded, we know exactly what happens and we just watch it to find problems.
Are you happy with your second sample ? 
If not, show it to your friends or family and after they watched it ask them if they realized the wobble and jitter. 

Hiker

[ New ]

@loyallight44206 

Many thanks for that!

In the first example I've had 4k 24fps, Superview with the boost option on and iso max 800 so i understood that with more pixel we need more shutter speed. So to do so - 1 ev and iso max 1600/3200 will be much better. 

In the second example the settings were 4k 30 fps iso max 1600 wirth Hypersmooth on (No Boost), - 1 ev and wide view.

I bought as well a differest chesty mount, the Stuntman which is very confortable and more stable rather than the official one.

So it seems the perfect setting for me in fact it seems all right even if in the second video i've had much more ambient light.

Thanks!

Hiker

[ New ]

this is a simple test with my old Hero 8 :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uM3lR0yWjI

;)

Test in condizioni di scarsa luminosità.Nella prima parte del video partendo da sinistra Hypersmooth 2.0 attivo con le impostazioni di default; con poca luce...
Hiker

[ New ]
Yeah the secret is to pump the max iso and reduce the ev so the camera doesn’t drop to a low shutter speed. I noticed that the dynamic range of the 9 allow you lots of recovery! Many thank to you all
Backpacker

[ New ]

hi all,

you will be surprised about the shutter and the ISO (max 1600) for these frames in second 11: 

around 1/100 and iso pushed at max 1600

so indeed at the limit.....

Exposure Times : 1/105 1/104 1/104 1/104 1/103 1/102 1/101 1/101 1/100 1/100 1/99 1/99 1/98 1/98 1/98 1/98 1/97 1/97 1/97 1/96 1/96 1/95 1/95 1/95 1/95 1/94
Time Stamp : 10.556871
Color Temperatures : 8214 8214 8214 8214 8214 8259 8259 8259
Time Stamp : 10.556871
White Balance RGB : (Binary data 177 bytes, use -b option to extract)
Time Stamp : 10.516871
ISO Speeds : 1600 1600 1600 1600 1600 1600 1600 1600 1600 1600 1600 1600 1600 1600 1600 1600 1600 1600 1600 1600 1600 1600 1600 1600 1600 1600

at-11sec.png

Backpacker

[ New ]

and I barely start the descent, so I had max 15km/h

Hiker

[ New ]

Finally it seems I solved the issue!!!!

I tried so many combinations and i realised thanks to your support how the camera works so... here are the new settings:

CAMERA SETTINGS:

Resolution:4k

Fps: 30

Lens: Wide

Hypersmooth: High (No Boost)

PROTUNE SETTINGS:

Bitrate: High

Shutter Speed: Auto

Ev Comp.: -1,0

White Balance: Auto

Min ISO: 100

Max ISO: 3200

Sharpness: Medium

Color: GoPro

Audio Raw: Off

Wind: Auto

Of course i could use the flat profile but i wanted a video "Out of the box" to check how the camera works.

Here is the video from today (No Post or edit, I just put down the clip together with final cut)  as you can see the lightning condition are quite extreme and to me the camera has been working great with a super quick transition between the very high contrast areas.

Please have a look and let me know what do you think!

https://youtu.be/3cfSy2M32aY