Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Hero9 Black - doesn't support 2.7k @ 30fps?

[ New ]

I recently upgraded to a Hero9 black. I use my GoPro as a dashcam on my bicycle. I typically need at least 2.7k resolution in order to be able to read license plates consistently. I don't like having to swap my battery mid ride, so I was hoping I could record at 30fps instead of 60fps. Apparently that's not an option! Is this on the roadmap? I was suprised that my previous camera supports 2.7k@30fps but the Hero9 doesn't.

Nomad

Re: Hero9 Black - doesn't support 2.7k @ 30fps?

[ New ]

Nope, they aren't going to introduce this due to the architecture of the camera.  It can only support so many video modes and that one mode was the loser that had to make room for other modes.

However the battery life on the GP9 is a heck of a lot better, so you should notice the same level of performance shooting in 2.7K @ 60FPS or 4K @ 30FPS.  

Your other option is to remove the internal battery and use an external power supply instead.  

Tourist

[ New ]

Dumb question but do you know if there's a way to remove a video mode so that I can add back 2.7k@30fps?

My hero5 black does 2.7k@30fps for 1:40, and hero9 does 4k@30fps for 1:52, so as it stands I'm only gaining 12 min with the upgrade. But if I could get 2.7k@30fps I bet it'd be more like 30 min which would be great since most of my rides are 2h long.

Nomad

[ New ]
No, this is not possible.