Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Hero9 Black Freezes Only When in Protective Housing

Hero9 won't turn on randomly when I'm swimming in the ocean. It will work for a while - varies how long - then once off, just won't turn back on.  I've updated to 1.21.  I also restored it to factory setting and tried again.  The card I'm using is on the preferred list for Hero9.  I have a different card that is also on preferred list and it happens with that too.  It has no problems outside of the protective housing, only inside it.  I've spent hours starting and stopping it outside of the housing and can't get it to freeze up.  Inside the housing it freezes whether I'm in the house or in the ocean, it freezes in the housing.  This is the GoPro protective housing, not an off brand.  I have front screen always turned off, shooting in 5K or timelapse HDR photo. It would be strange to be a heat issue since it happens when I'm in the ocean - which is nice and cool. Any ideas?

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Hero9 Black Freezes Only When in Protective Housing

Hello, @laurim726. By freezing do you mean the camera is stuck on a certain screen and refuses any navigation or changes in the mode/settings? Or the camera turns off or shuts down? 

The latter could be related to an increase in temperature. For cameras that feature unique high-performance video modes: 2.7K and higher resolutions, and/or frame rates above 60fps, it is normal for the camera to become warm and use more power when using these modes. The temperature difference between the inside of the housing and outside (when in the water) could be a contributing factor. 

If the camera gets too hot, a message appears on the screen indicating that the camera is shutting down. Do you recall getting such a warning? On average, how long are your recordings? See if capturing shorter video clips will help. 

Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks for the reply!  By freezing I mean the camera won't turn on.  I'll try quick start video, quick start timelapse or just turning it on.  It won't respond at all.  I do not recall getting a termperature warning.  It would be odd to get overheated since the camera is in the ocean water the whole time. 

What happens is that I will film and take photos for a while when swimming.  For example, in about an hour or two of swimming I may take 5-6 5K videos usually just a few seconds long, but at times up to 4-5 minutes long.  I'll also take HDR timelapse photos here and there.  Then at some point it just won't turn on to take the next video or photo.  Sometimes that point when it won't turn on is only after 30 minutes of swimming.  Other times its many hours into the swim.  When that happens, it won't turn on at all until I get out of the water, take it out of the super suit and remove the battery, then put it back in.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @laurim726

Let our Support Team check on this further.

Please submit a request for a callback or initiate a chat session through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Heads up! Our team is currently working through a volume of contacts, response time may be slightly longer than usual. We appreciate your understanding.

Thanks!

Ej