Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Hero8 streaming to Facebook with Verizon Samsung Note10 Hotspot.

[ New ]
Hopefully someone can help me out here. I have been trying for a while to be able to stream to facebook with my gopro hero8 and I cannot get it to work again. I was able to stream one time when I first bought it right out of the box with my phones Hotspot with no freezing issues. But ever since then I cannot get it to work. I have been trying to live stream my sons baseball games. I even have updated my gopro with the new update that just came out. I just tried this last weekend at the ballpark and even did a speed test with my phone with favorable results. See the attached pictures. When I try to go live the signal strength that shows on the app starts out with full strength then within about 5 seconds it gets knocked down to half or less and the stream just gets very choppy and freezes. Anyone out there with any suggestions to help me out? I don't want to have to go get a Mevo camera because I love my gopro. Thanks in advance.
Screenshot_20200920-193400_Chrome.jpg

Accepted Solutions
Tourist

Re: Hero8 streaming to Facebook with Verizon Samsung Note10 Hotspot.

[ New ]
Solved my own problem. It was my data plan on my phone. I had the old Verizon unlimited plan that was $150 with 3 lines. So today I updated my phone plan to the new unlimited $65 plan on my one line and my gopro hero 8 streamed on Facebook like a champ. I was able to stream in the same area with the new plan and before I couldn't with the old plan.

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @partidafam

Can you help us with the following information: Camera version, GoPro App version, phone and OS version.

Pleae check the USB connection set on the camera. Make sure it is on GoPro Connect.

I have just tested this on a Huawei P30 and was able to live stream on Facebook via Hotspot.

I tested a HERO8 Black and a HERO9 Black

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Thank you for the reply. Here is my information:

Camera Ver: 02.00

Go Pro App Ver: 7.0.1 (9560)

Phone: Samsung Note 10 / SM-N960U

OS Version: 10

USB connection is set to GoPro Connect.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @partidafam

Are you turning the Hotspot option ON via the GoPro App?

Or did you have it turned on prior to the live stream set up?

Would you be able to share a screencast/recording of your workflow?

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

I am turning my hotspot on with the GoPro app. I am able to live stream when I connect to my homes wifi but not with the hotspot. I have done it before bike riding around my neighborhood with my hotspot with no problems a long time ago but ever since then the stream has been choppy through my phones hotspot even when I have full strength on my cell phone. I just might have to wait until my data counter resets for my cell service. I have gounlimited with Verizon and I know they throttle down the speed after a certain amount of GBs, I just don't know what that number is. I will post an update when my data resets.

Tourist

[ New ]
Has anyone used a Verizon jetpack to stream? If so was that better for you than using your phones hotspot?
Tourist

[ New ]
My data reset to zero for my cell ohone data plan and I tried streaming this morning but still the same results. The video is skipping. I have the Verizon Go Unlimited plan. I have had that plan for about two years. Would that be the reason why its skipping due to Verizon throttling down my bandwidth?
Hiker

[ New ]

Ive been using a mifi8800L with a Visible (Verizon) sim for about 2 months now.

The connection does seem more reliable as well as i don't have to worry about my phone connecting to some random WiFi or dying mid-stream.Also the hotspot is recognized first attempt 95% of the time compared to a phone which can be a nightmare at times.

it's definitely given me more peace of mind when streaming.

If you aren't on the move & streaming constantly i'd stick with a phone unless you want to invest (mines goes for ~$80 - $110 USD used).

Hiker

[ New ]

As far as video skipping, streaming eats through data fast.

From what I know, Verizon's unlimited gives 15gb's for mobile hotspotting before throttling.

If you stream 720p @ 30 fps for one hour daily on weekends that’s 3600 seconds x roughly 9 days per month.

The total amount of monthly data usage for a 2,500 kbps stream would be around 10 GB

On top of your usage daily data usage (streamings, GPS, etc) it adds up quick.

Note: most carrriers advertised as Unlimited are not. There is a "secret" cap.

Tourist

[ New ]
Yes I know they are not truly unlimited with the caps. Just wanted to see if the mifi hotspot would work better with the gopro being the only connection to the hotspot and me getting the 30GB plan just for that only so I can get 30gb before it gets throttled down. My son only plays tournaments ever other weekend. Games are about an hour and a half and about 4 to 5 games in one weekend if that.
Tourist

[ New ]
Solved my own problem. It was my data plan on my phone. I had the old Verizon unlimited plan that was $150 with 3 lines. So today I updated my phone plan to the new unlimited $65 plan on my one line and my gopro hero 8 streamed on Facebook like a champ. I was able to stream in the same area with the new plan and before I couldn't with the old plan.