Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Hero8 starts shaking in the middle of filming, and kept shaking till end of 30 min video.

[ New ]

My new Hero8 started shaking for more than 20 min:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwi3BCxVePg

Settings: 4k30 W boost on. It is random, it didn't happen before at same settings, same SD card. Anything I could do to avoid this in the future? (other than returning the camera :)) thanks

Backpacker

Re: Hero8 starts shaking in the middle of filming, and kept shaking till end of 30 min video.

[ New ]

hi,

although many will say "again SD card, again manual software upgrade?!?!?!" I would start with:

• SD card compatibility - be sure the card is in this list
  • make a manual clean upgrade
    • hard format the SD card before on PC/laptop (I use a small 4GB microSD card just for upgrades)
    • then follow https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero8-black link "Upgrade your camera manually" from desktop browser
    • after finished format again the microSD card from camera menu
  • do not delete files from SD card - gopro does not play nice when the disk volume is fragmented
    • after you save externally and you are sure nothing else you need from SD card, format it from camera menu

If still there:

• what is the trigger? the deceleration when you brake?
  • from my tests, Hypersmooth Boost use the most the internal gyroscope readings - could be this the issue on a motorcycle you have accelerations and deceleration more than me on my MTB
  • try use Hypersmooth On, or Hypersmooth High
    • Hypersmooth On is enough to remove the vibrations, and you have it chest mounted

just me,

robert

Nomad

Re: Hero8 starts shaking in the middle of filming, and kept shaking till end of 30 min video.

[ New ]

I have never seen anything like this ... It seems to have something to do with the SD card.
If this has not happened before and after, I will join @robert1326 :
Always format the SD card in the camera and not just delete individual files!

Adventurer

[ New ]

GoPro will chime in, their most common responses are, more  or less just noted By @robert1326  offering you the best advice, right now.  And this issue has been around at the start of  the camera. So when @oliverz513  said he never saw it, they are there.

The SD card should get formatted, a full format. 

The Sd card should have the minimum write speed, not read speed,

The camera will hiccup if it starts buffering, and certain things can happen, and there is one of them.

faster cards better proformance. slower cards yuo will get hiccups.

If by all means yougot a issue , call back  or chat with a GoPro Rep they are there to help.

Tourist

[ New ]

When I first posted I didn't see the other identical issues reported on this forum under "stuttering/choppy", etc. It seems to happen on every Hero8 set to 4k/30 boost on, after cca 20 min of continuous filming, but most users may not be aware, for diff reasons. It has nothing to do with SDs or firmware install. The good news is that it doesn't happen at 4k/60, 2.7k/60 or 2.7k/30 boost on (I tested it). I am sure GoPro knows, and they are probably working on a fix; but for now, they should at at least disable this mode or make users aware of this issue. I don't need to shoot at 4k/30 now that I know about this issue, and I am still debating wether I should return the camera. Because I still like the feel, ease of use, image quality, sound, stabilization, and other features. And I am pretty confident this will not go away if I just replace it with another Hero8.

Backpacker

[ New ]

@moscowplus wrote:

When I first posted I didn't see the other identical issues reported on this forum under "stuttering/choppy", etc. It seems to happen on every Hero8 set to 4k/30 boost on, Wide or Linear ? after cca 20 min of continuous filming, but most users may not be aware, for diff reasons. It has nothing to do with SDs or firmware install. The good news is that it doesn't happen at 4k/60, 2.7k/60 or 2.7k/30 boost on (I tested it) strange as 4K/60 does not permit boost on - for 2.7K same question Wide, Linear or Narrow. I am sure GoPro knows, - please report to support, ussually garmin admin GoPro escalate the issues in the R&D team, but just to be docummented contact suport ***, we cannot  and they are probably working on a fix; but for now, they should at at least disable this mode or make users aware of this issue. I don't need to shoot at 4k/30 now that I know about this issue, and I am still debating wether I should return the camera. Because I still like the feel, ease of use, image quality, sound, stabilization, and other features. And I am pretty confident this will not go away if I just replace it with another Hero8.

https://gopro.com/feedback

or/and

email to: customersupport@gopro.com

just me,

robert

Nomad

[ New ]

I'm not saying the problem doesn't exist - I haven't seen it yet! If the behavior with a correspondingly fast SD card (UHD-I V30) does not otherwise occur, it cannot be due to the write speed .... As I said, I also tried all the settings and this behavior was not! But with "hypersmooth" the "curve problem" ....

Adventurer

[ New ]

I think we can say "Good Luck" on that request to desable 4K30,  maybe do not use "Boost", your problem is solved. gopro  rather release  the hero 9 hypersmooth 3.0, then fix the hero models. they simply just fade  away.  Hero 7 fw 1.90 nov 2019 EOL

Hero 8 jan 2020 7 months not a single firmware update.  wait Uag 13th they will release one.  (Optimistic) (sarcasm) people  don't get humor here , they only want their post answered.