Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker
Accepted Solution

Hero8 slow motion

Hi all,

i have a short question - you can record slow motion movies with your gopro hero 8 but if i download the video and look it with windows media player or vlc player it is only normal speed. i had some problems to play it with the quik app tool from gopro because it is very choppy (and it is not a problem from my hardware - have an alienware area 51m :-) ) Has anyone else the same problem?

many thanks in advance 

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: Hero8 slow motion

When you select Slo Motion, all that's happening is your video is being recorded at a higher frame rate.  So if your usual frame rate is 30 FPS, then a 1/2 speed slow motion would be 60FPS.

When you play back the video, you are seeing the video in normal time, but with a higher frame rate.  You need to run the video through a video editor and slow down the footage to see the slow motion.  So a 60 FPS video lasting 10 seconds at 1/2 speed would result in a 30 FPS video lasting 20 seconds etc.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @swiftyfx. The slow-motion that you see through the camera is an effect. When imported or downloaded to a device, the video plays back as normal. You can use editing programs to apply and save the slow-motion effect. 

Highlighted
Nomad

When you select Slo Motion, all that's happening is your video is being recorded at a higher frame rate.  So if your usual frame rate is 30 FPS, then a 1/2 speed slow motion would be 60FPS.

When you play back the video, you are seeing the video in normal time, but with a higher frame rate.  You need to run the video through a video editor and slow down the footage to see the slow motion.  So a 60 FPS video lasting 10 seconds at 1/2 speed would result in a 30 FPS video lasting 20 seconds etc.

Highlighted
Hiker

Hey all,

many thanks for your help - now i understood it :-)

Have a merry christmas and a good new year