Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Hero8 not recognizing batteries

From the very get go, my new Hero8 is not recognizing authentic GoPro H8 batteries. This also occurred mid initial update which I think may have played into the issue. Camera acts as if it’s a knock off battery, with notification and then will say no battery. I’ve tried the hard reset (camera will power up with USB power)
Any suggestions or is this one just DOA. My other Hero8 operates flawless

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: Hero8 not recognizing batteries

If your update "glitched" then it's possible it didn't take properly and that's what's causing your issue.  I would perform a manual update of the software, you can watch this video here for instructions:

BTW the reason I'm telling you to hit the "ignore" message is so that the GoPro will go ahead and use the battery as normal even though it's not detecting it as an official GoPro battery.  Due to the fact you haven't hit the "ignore" message, this could be what's causing the battery icon not to be displayed as it now doesn't recognize the battery as being a proper battery, so it's ignoring any information from the battery as regards battery charge.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Tourist

GoPro will opperate unplugged with a battery in, yet read it as no battery. see attached pic. 

GP Error.jpg
Highlighted
Tourist

GoPro will only power on when attached to USB, once on, I can remove the usb and use it while it displays no battery. Acts this was with multiple batteries so it is not an isolated battery issue

Highlighted
Tourist

Ive swapped memory cards with my normal functioning Hero8 with no change

Highlighted
Nomad

When you put the battery in, do you get an error message on the screen at all, saying something like "use an original gopro battery".  Does it give you the option to "ignore" these warnings in the future?

Highlighted
Tourist

Yes it does give me that warning. I have not silenced it. Genuine GoPro batteries.

Done the "reset" multiple times with no change.

Highlighted
Tourist

Occasionally, when I try combinations of inserting/removing/starting ect, it will recognize the battery and the power status will cycle percentages like 3%-17%-32%-61%-32%-17%-3%. Have that going on at the moment. It is so strange.

Its like I need to do some "super reset" and start this thing from scratch pre-update

Highlighted
Nomad

Try using the "ignore" option.  I have done it with both my GoPro Hero 8's (using original GoPro batteries) and there doesn't seem to be any issue.