Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Hero8 gets hot AF

[ New ]

Anyone else experiencing the Hero8 heating up issues while recording?  My unit gets so hot after about 20 min I cannot even pick it up.  I can only imagine the situation is even worse when the camera is inside the Rollcage protective sleeve.

Accepted Solutions
Nomad

Re: Hero8 gets hot AF

[ New ]

Where are you recording, what are you recording, what's the frame rate and resolution?

The GoPro is an overclocked action camera and it will run fairly hot.  Being used as an action camera (mounted on the wing of an airplane, mounted on the outside of a car, mounted on a kayak etc..) this isn't an issue as there's lot of active airflow cooling the camera.  However if you were to record at 4K @ 60FPS with Hypersmooth on Boost while the camera is sitting on your kitchen table, there's no active air cooling at all and your camera is going to get hot.

Mounting the camera on the side of a car windshield is going to make it run even hotter (even turned off, the windshield acts as a magnifying glass and can get your GoPro really hot, this is going to be worse when you start recording).

Also improper SD cards or improperly formatted SD cards are going to increase the workload on the camera and generate more heat.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nomad

[ New ]

Where are you recording, what are you recording, what's the frame rate and resolution?

The GoPro is an overclocked action camera and it will run fairly hot.  Being used as an action camera (mounted on the wing of an airplane, mounted on the outside of a car, mounted on a kayak etc..) this isn't an issue as there's lot of active airflow cooling the camera.  However if you were to record at 4K @ 60FPS with Hypersmooth on Boost while the camera is sitting on your kitchen table, there's no active air cooling at all and your camera is going to get hot.

Mounting the camera on the side of a car windshield is going to make it run even hotter (even turned off, the windshield acts as a magnifying glass and can get your GoPro really hot, this is going to be worse when you start recording).

Also improper SD cards or improperly formatted SD cards are going to increase the workload on the camera and generate more heat.

Hiker

[ New ]

Thanks for bringing my attention to the "action" and "overclocked" aspects which I have completely overlooked.  I was indeed doing some testing at room temp with no active cooling while usually I run it on a road bike.  I suppose my question should be rephrased as: Should I be concerned about the lack of active cooling and the resulting hot temp.  The Hero8's manual answers this question by specyfing the operating ambient temperature range of 14-95 F (10-35 C).

Nomad

[ New ]

Then the answer would be "No".  If you're using the camera in a static environment, it's going to get hot, in fact, it may even get too hot to hold onto for any length of time.  The same may even happen on your road bike if you mount it behind the windshield as this would keep a lot of the active air cooling from happening.  

This doesn't happen with larger camera's as the increased space and larger size usually means larger processing units, more surface area for cooling etc.  But try to get the same performance out of a smaller unit, you're going to get heat.